• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help identify: flavoring paste in soup

shain

When I visited Taiwan earlier this year we had soup at a street side stall. You could pick ingredients and the vendor would stew them and served with the stock. On top of the bowl they placed a paste that I couldn't identify. It was grainy and dark grayish-red, quite spicy and I believe might have contained fermened beans. 

Anyone able to Identity it? 

IMG_20190306_213444.jpg

~ Shai N.

Looks like shacha sauce. It's a popular paste/sauce and has multiple uses. You tend to get it with soups and hot pot meals.

Did you eat the dark block in your bowl? I love this stuff.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BonVivant said:

Looks like shacha sauce. It's a popular paste/sauce and has multiple uses. You tend to get it with soups and hot pot meals.

Did you eat the dark block in your bowl? I love this stuff.

Looks spot on! Many thanks.

I had the tiniest nibble of this blood cake (it was duck's I believe) - I'm a vegetarian (to some definition, since I'm OK with some types of seafood), but it was interesting enough to try. I recall it had tofu-like texture, with a mild flavor and obviously some irony flavor.

I had ramen noodles with stewed soft tofu, fried tofu skin, kumbo and shrimp balls. 

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

It was grainy and dark grayish-red, quite spicy

Yes.沙 茶酱 (shā chá jiàng) Shacha Sauce.

The 沙 means 'sand' referring to that grainy texture you describe.

6 hours ago, shain said:

I had the tiniest nibble of this blood cake (it was duck's I believe)

Could be duck blood, but pig's blood is more common.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto