• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Political Correctness at the Milk Bar

Toliver

"Milk Bar’s controversial Crack Pie now has a new name"

On Monday, Tosi published an open letter on Milk Bar’s website stating that the butter-drenched pie now has a new, straightforward moniker: Milk Bar Pie...

...Critics of Milk Bar have honed in on the offensive ways that the name of the pie...playfully references the addictive qualities of crack without recognizing the rampant destruction that communities and families — particularly African American ones — faced at the expense of the drug.

I've only heard about the pie and once thought perhaps I should order one online to see what the fuss was all about.

Has anyone tried it?  

Is this political correctness gone too far? Or is it appropriate?  It's just a pie, afterall...what harm is there in that? :|

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

33 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Is this political correctness gone too far? Or is it appropriate?  It's just a pie, afterall...what harm is there in that? :|

Yes. Sadly, the norm now is to take offense rather  than give the benefit of  the doubt or realize it doesn't matter even a little bit. (of course there are genuinely offensive things in the world etc etc).

• Like 3

If I were Tosi, I would make a new pie with a deliberate crack on top, say I was inspired by Lucio Fontana's cuts, then call it Crack Pie. Just for trolling reasons.

I lost a cousin to heroin overdose, saw other bad stuff with people I know, but I can only say this story is completely absurd.

Teo

• Like 3

Teo

2 hours ago, Toliver said:

Has anyone tried it? 

I've made it. Whether or not the recipe they share adds up to the same thing as what they do in-house, I have no idea. Never had one they made to compare. Political correctness aside, I think the name change may be in order if only because, while it is indeed tasty in a sugary buttery way, it's far from what I would consider "highly addictive". I enjoyed the one I made, had no regrets over making it... but thus far haven't felt compelled to make it again.

• Like 4

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I tried one at their location in Williamsburg, Brooklyn a few years ago. 

I think it was priced at $7 or $9 or something 

and it tasted like a good pie - like one you would make at home using one of Rose Berenbaum's recipes in Baking Bible 

but I think it was the first time I tasted normal store pie that tasted close to homemade (but less fresh) 

if you don't cook or bake at home this pie will be like a new revelation or something bc all you've eaten are factory pies that taste like poop 

but if you cook at home, then it's nothing special and just like what you make at home 

Edited by eugenep (log)
  • Like 3

This affected  a local establishment last year about their Crack Fries.

One  Two

We chose the name more than 11 years ago as a reference to the addictive quality of the fries and their cracked pepper seasoning, without consideration for those the drug negatively affected. We were wrong.

The crack epidemic and the lasting impact on those it affects [sic] is not funny and never was.

As we grow as a company we have come to realize that to make light of this drug and of addiction contradicts our values of inclusion and community. We want to thank our guests, employees and community members who have helped us come to this realization and apologize for the pain the name brought to others.

• Like 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

3 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

I'm only surprised that it took so long.  That pie has been around for what, 10 or 15 years already?

you're talking to Toliver right? 

Edited by eugenep
didn't know if I sounded sarcastic? but not intentionally (log)

51 minutes ago, eugenep said:

you're talking to Toliver right?

well yeah, that's who started the topic ...

I appreciate Tosi's statement that the mission is to spread joy and offending people is contrary to that.  Just curious what the tipping point was.  Maybe she's older and wiser, maybe the hijinks of those early restaurant days have lost their shine, maybe she just got tired of hearing about it ... or maybe she struck a deal with (walmart/target/costco) and they made her do it? 🤔

Btw, I have not tried the pie either.  I had Tosi's Milk Bar cookbook for a while but little in it appealed to me so I sold it.

• Like 1

My late wife and I thought about putting the pie on our farmer's market menu. We made it a couple of times, shrugged and thought "meh."

We went with other desserts that were less buzz-y, but tastier.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

There's a detail that nobody points out and I think it's dreadful.

Sugar is an addictive drug in all the senses as crack is an addictive drug. The consequences of sugar addiction are much worse for society than the ones for crack addiction (or heroin or meth or all that $h|t). I suppose people in the USA should know this pretty well, since it's the country where sugar gives the worst consequences to the health of its inhabitants. If we talk about "crack pie" then the word that refers to the worst addiction is not "crack", it's "pie".

All this is said by a pastry chef (aka sugar dealer).

Teo

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Teo

Calling pies or fries or any other food "crack blank" has always made me uncomfortable. And after 15 years or how ever many years since  the Milk Bar opened and they named that pie my discomfort remains. The one time I went there, at least ten years ago, I was not wowed by anything I tasted. Not the pie and definitely not that godawful cereal milk ice cream. 

• Like 2

I personally don't care what they call their pie. I think intent needs to be taken into consideration. If they're using something in an intentionally hurtful manner, that's pretty much always obvious. But we've gone way too far with the whole things-that-are-no-longer-allowed-to-be-the-subject-of-humor bit.

• Like 4

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

On 4/16/2019 at 8:23 PM, pastrygirl said:

maybe she struck a deal with (walmart/target/costco) and they made her do it? 🤔

Ha!  It was Target!  ...

Some people still find the term Crack Pie more offensive than cute, or at least inappropriate. To sell a packaged version at Target, she had to rename it Milk Bar Pie Mix.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/12/dining/christina-tosi-milk-bar.html

• Like 4

so much for the moral high ground; it didn't occur to them to change it UNTIL they had a chance to make more money with it ....maybe she'll donate a percentage of the proceeds to addiction recovery services.

• Like 2

No offense intended.... but, When did we become so super sensitive and easily  offended that an unintentional slang word makes everyone run crying to their mamma's ?  There was no obvious "slam" meant here, so why should she be vilified and have to apologize?  Please people, take a deep breath and chill, enjoy the beautiful offerings others have and if you find offense, don't patronize.  All is well.  :) 

• Like 4

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

Edited by Tri2Cook
Got more political than I intended to, not what I'm here for. (log)
  • Like 2

My question to friends these days is "when did the critique of 'political correctness' become of more importance than the issues that those (sometimes over the top and preachy) folks are trying to tackle"?  Isn't our rush to distance ourselves from being "too correct" (not sure such a thing is a thing, but whatever...) a diversion from thinking about the issues raised by titles and song lyrics, etc.?  

"Crack pie" was (I'm sure enough to state this) never intended to traffic in human suffering, but only to cash in on an idiom that would help sell more pies.  But, stepping back and trying to correct past injustices or insensitivities (for whatever reasons) isn't as bad as the original injustices or insensitivites themselves, is it?   I don't think its too much to ask of me to spend a little time self examining what I say or do and editing out what I can. 

Edited by Steve R. (log)
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, nonblonde007 said:

an unintentional slang word

Except it was totally intentional,  intended to be edgy and allude to addiction.  It's all fun and games when you're young and joking around and pushing boundaries but some people grow up and learn about compassion.  Or make deals with Target.

If 'crack pie - one taste and you're addicted' is still funny, what else can we come up with?  I'm not living in a $3+ million dollar apartment so I need something marketable ...

Alzheimer's pie - one bite and you'll forget everything you ever knew!

Cerebral palsy pie - so good, you'll lose all control!

Colon cancer or HIV juices - enjoy sudden rapid weight loss without exercise!

Dyslexia vodka - one shot and you can't see straight!

I could go on, but I already feel too much like an asshole just for writing those. 

Look, I'm not 100% innocent, I don't call my products 'crack' but I have joked about addiction (the first one's free, then you're hooked). I should be more careful about that because I  do aspire to be a better person and use my powers for good.  YMMV.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Edited by Tri2Cook
Got more political than I intended, not what I'm here for. (log)
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Tri2Cook said:

I have no problem with that whatsoever. What I have a problem with is other people telling me I have to do that editing based on their criteria and my criteria is irrelevant. I don't feel obligated to feel guilty over everything anybody anywhere may potentially feel offended over. It's just an impossible task, somebody somewhere will by offended by everything. And before I'm accused of extrapolating that to the extreme, take a good look around and then tell me I'm incorrect. We've created a situation where every person wants to feel special and supported over everything they don't like or feel offended over. 

I basically agree.  These things should be used to initiate discussion & to get people to understand each others' perspective, not as a sledge hammer to force the "other" person to accede.   This society (in my opinion) needs more discussion and fewer decrees.   

• Like 3