• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook

Got more political than I intended, not what I'm here for.

Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook

Just now, pastrygirl said:

But we know that people were actually offended.  Tosi got plenty of complaints over the years.  Crack cocaine addiction isn't a hypothetical situation, people died or were jailed, families were torn apart, babies were born addicted and face lifelong struggles …

All of that is true and I honestly do not mean to belittle any of it but for me, I still don't believe there was any harmful or mean intent when the name was chosen. I wasn't there so obviously I don't really know but in my mind, they didn't say "hey, let's call it this and see how many people we can hurt or offend with it". And I truly believe that most people complaining about the name know that as well. I just don't think they care. It's something to lash out at because they had to or are having to deal with a bad situation even though it has nothing to do with the situation they're dealing with. I'm not saying they don't have a right to be upset, I'm saying it's a bit much to expect everybody else to think about how it may offend somebody somewhere before everything they say and do. It may be the smart thing to do in a business situation but it's not a realistic expectation for everyday life.