• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ooni pizza oven

gfweb

46 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Any recommendations vs what I might purchase elsewhere? 

As big of a fan as I am of the Koda 16, I'm not impressed at all with Ooni's accessories.

First, anodized or not, you don't want an aluminum turning peel.  Aluminum is just way too soft and won't stand up to the wear and tear.  Also, 7" is a little small for turning.  In Naples, turning peels are traditionally 9" or 10". 

This is still a little small

https://us.gozney.com/products/roccbox-turning-peel

but it should be stainless. 7"  should be comfortable for turning a 13" Neapolitan pie- and might be okay for a 16" NY, but I've never tried turning a 16" pizza with a 7" peel, so I can't say for certain.  7" should be fine for retrieving a 16", since you can slide the pizza up the handle a bit.

This piques my curiosity:

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Perforated-Turning-Detachable-Handle/dp/B0912JFT7Q/

Very reasonable price, 9", stainless, and has a longer handle that can be unscrewed into a shorter one.  Loving all four of these aspects.  But the reviews. Yeesh.  Dialing in the right gauge metal on a peel can be difficult.  You want it thin enough to cleanly get under the pizza, but, not so thin that the material bends when you go to pick the pizza up.  The review seems to point towards a gauge of metal that might be too thick.  If this is the case, you should be able to sand down the edge to a finer point, but, without having the peel in hand, I can't make any promises.  

https://www.amazon.com/Turning-Stainless-Perforated-Paddle-Handle/dp/B07YXTDXJ3

This is a classic Italian peel at a very reasonable price (these used to typically be $100+) but that 47" handle is rough.  Depending on how the plastic handle is attached, you might be able to take it apart and cut it down to a more reasonable length.  While I like the $34 price tag of the previous peel, this peel feels like a better known quantity.  This is probably what I'd get if I were getting a turning peel.

As far as what to spend your $50 credit on, that's tough.  Bamboo wood peels are worthless.  An infrared thermometer is incredibly useful, but, 40 bucks for a $20 thermometer? They've got a lot of nerve.  

A good wood peel is even more important than a turning peel, btw.  No bamboo (bamboo doesn't absorb moisture as well as other woods).  It also needs to have a thin face/blade- NOT a thick blade with a taper just at the very end.  With a thick blade and a short, stubby taper, the toppings have a tendency to waterfall as you launch the pie. Lastly, you've got a 16" oven, you're going to eventually make 16" pies, which will require a 16" wood peel.

Btw, perforated metal peels for launching are overrated.  Wood absorbs moisture and gives you a longer window before the dough starts to stick.  I'm still looking for the peel of my dreams, but, for an Ooni 16, I'd probably go with this:

https://www.amazon.com/American-Metalcraft-4216-Standard-42-Inches/dp/B00G67R72K

Good price, good dimensions, good wood.  It's a little bit clunky, but it's way better than what's available right now. You'll probably need to cut the handle down a bit, though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, JeanneCake said:

surprise birthday present for my son who is intent on perfecting his calzones

The best and worst calzone I've ever had came out of a wood fired oven (at Lucali, in Brooklyn).  Best, because the hand dipped ricotta rocked my world, but worst because the intense heat of the oven produced sections of raw dough.  But the parts where the dough was cooked... wow.

The reason I bring this up because, as big of a fan as I am of the Koda 16... I'm not sure I'd buy it for the specific goal of making calzones.  Ooni's don't really have low settings- it's either incendiary, or slightly less than incendiary with the knob at it's lowest.  This means that, for lower temp baking, you have to cycle them off and on.  It's very possible that a calzone might benefit from hotter than your average home oven temps, but, I think the Koda is pushing it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I ordered the Koda 16 on Jun 21.  Kind of funny because that seems to be a dividing line in their shipping estimates which keep slipping away. It's gone from early July to early Aug to a more vague August. The last update assured me that it had arrived in the US but they have no idea when port congestion and shipping will allow it to reach their warehouse or, more importantly, me.  Along with that bit of info, they did provide a $50 voucher to use for their accessories. Any recommendations vs what I might purchase elsewhere? 

I need a small turning peel, both for pizza and pita. 

I have a wooden peel that should suffice for delivering into the oven but I'd like a perforated metal peel, too, and theirs looks nice. 

Any experience with these items or others from their shop?

No Ooni here but my peel I love is this:  (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Amazon shows it as unavailable but last I looked it was for sale at the Exo site.  (Amazon does stock the shorter handled Exo pizza peel.)  I've had my Exo's (three) before Modernist Bread came out, but MB includes a picture.  Amazon reviewers say they work well with an Ooni.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

for peels, Gi Metal or bust.

they have a wide range of products, and i bet you can get short handles for these portable ovens. or at least shorter handles. if you want, it's also easy to trim the handles with a saw.

https://gimetalusa.com/gimetal-our-products

i have A-32RF/120 launching peel and I-20 turning peel, but my oven is much bigger.

Edited by jaw (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, scott123 said:

The best and worst calzone I've ever had came out of a wood fired oven (at Lucali, in Brooklyn).  Best, because the hand dipped ricotta rocked my world, but worst because the intense heat of the oven produced sections of raw dough.  But the parts where the dough was cooked... wow.

The reason I bring this up because, as big of a fan as I am of the Koda 16... I'm not sure I'd buy it for the specific goal of making calzones.  Ooni's don't really have low settings- it's either incendiary, or slightly less than incendiary with the knob at it's lowest.  This means that, for lower temp baking, you have to cycle them off and on.  It's very possible that a calzone might benefit from hotter than your average home oven temps, but, I think the Koda is pushing it.

The pandemic awakened a desire to cook - in my son.  He refused to do take out during lockdown and he was really missing calzone and pizza, etc.  So he's learning and experimenting and he's improving by leaps and bounds every time he makes one.  He's intent on calzone at the moment, but I'm selfishly buying the Koda so when he moves on to pizza ;)  I can have wonderful pizza like the rest of you!! 

• Like 10

On 7/25/2021 at 2:26 AM, Jon Savage said:

Damn you all (egullet). You done went and made me buy one of these (I got a Fyra which I received today).

I'm pretty darned excited; did the burn in tonight & have dough retarding overnight 00 caputo 70% hydration of course....

Pics to follow of tomorrow's attempts of course; I doubt anyone would be at all interested in pics of an empty Fyra being burned in. 

My game plan for tomorrow is a semi nekkid crust (++garlic+++Evoo) or two for practice / familiarization  or so & then off to pizzaland. This should be fun. Just divvied up the dough from bulk ferment :).

edit- The shipping time was 6-10 weeks out according to ooni's webpage but in fact 2 days so the rest of the stuff I ordered from Amazon turning peel infra thermo etc won't be here until Friday next so tomorrow's cook will be very much be improvised; hell I altered my too big pizza peel today to make it fit the ooni - removed 1/2 " from both sides with my trusty Japanese pull saw because well setting up the table saw or my skilsaw would have been too onerous. 

It (the oven arrived Saturday last). Colour us happy.  I think we've figured it out & why yes this oven very much works as advertised

IMG-1186.jpg

IMG-1187.jpg

IMG-1189.jpg

IMG-1189.jpg

IMG-1185.jpg

IMG-1197.jpg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--

I love this oven. Still working @ home means if If We have dough & other ingredients on hand then I can light it & 15-29 minutes later make my beloved & I a most excellent lunch. We are several cooks in w/o fail.

• Like 6

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--