• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ooni Pizza Oven

andiesenji

14 minutes ago, weinoo said:

My only question is how this all squares with the beginning of your "diet," @Duvel?

If you follow my posts you will clearly see that limiting myself to four pizzas at night can be counted as diet 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

57 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Duval and &droid, FWIW, I dust peel with polenta, then shape the pizza on the peel.   Less stress for me.   Then shoot loaded pizza into the oven. 

Where are you doing the above shaping and topping?  In the kitchen? Outdoors next to the oven?  

My Ooni has yet to ship so I'm biding my time by taking in all this excellent info and thinking about where I should set the thing up. I don't have a grill or any sort of outdoor cooking area so considering what else I want nearby.  Seems to be some sort of propane shortage around here so I should get that sorted, too. 

8 hours ago, &roid said:

I guess whatever size your oven, cooking at the absolute limit is going to pose some challenges. The thing I love about the koda 16 is that making a single normal sized pizza is easy - a lot easier than trying to do a 12” in their smaller ovens.

I ordered the Koda 16 but was thinking of cancelling and getting the 12.  I don't plan on making 16" pies but ordered it because of the burner config and to have a little extra room so I was especially happy to read this.  I'll stick with the 16. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

If you follow my posts you will clearly see that limiting myself to four pizzas at night can be counted as diet 😉

True...I didn't notice too much of the cured meat platters floating around...just that one pie. Good job!

• Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

47 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Second that …

thirded. I have a nice big countertop in the kitchen that’s at the right height for me. I make them in there then a quick step outside to launch. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

My Ooni has yet to ship so I'm biding my time by taking in all this excellent info and thinking about where I should set the thing up. I don't have a grill or any sort of outdoor cooking area so considering what else I want nearby.  Seems to be some sort of propane shortage around here so I should get that sorted, too

FWIW I’m happy to schlep mine out every time I use it. I keep it in a big dry garden box, the gas tank sits in our shed. 

the 16” is pretty manoeuvrable on my own but I’ve got quite long arms so some people might find it easier with a lifting partner. 

I’d love to have space (and climate!) to have a permanent installation but it’s no big deal bringing it out each time. 

to have the whole shaping, loading, cooking and serving setup in one place I’d probably want about ten linear feet of countertop. That said, I’m a klutz and like to spread out when I cook :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, rotuts said:

my friend who does not post

is gearing up for a Pizza Night 

@ WoodsHole  MA :

thumbnail.thumb.jpg.0353fbb64bd772a04b71f7b67fcc9ec5.jpg

That's Penny and Archie

prepared to ' help out '

Quality control is a tough job but someone has to do it! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I wanted to practice on the weekend, but after two pizzas the gas was finished 🙄 …

62% hydration, 24h cold rise …

C94AC92E-B762-4153-82DC-EEC2F13DF81C.thumb.jpeg.10fb2110115e1db184c5463bc000da4e.jpeg

On its way …

930AA8D8-C973-422E-A18A-44663DB0F985.thumb.jpeg.0ea557d32008668fa164b8fe2f714750.jpeg

… to become a aragula & parma ham pie (my moms request).

188D8D05-B986-43A2-B1E0-8B5205D689CC.thumb.jpeg.f1aa05d68722a30a3bd2015c2ad147b2.jpeg

And a „pepperoni“ pie (with spicy Hungarian paprika salami, as the product „pepperoni“ is not really available here, my fathers request) …

3FBD4573-8385-4CF3-A05C-A4C3B785F780.thumb.jpeg.565eea38d068971172720cd2d8f2daf1.jpeg

And if you ever wondered what a pizza would look like, if cooked only on the residual heat from the pizza stone (the browning on the top was done with a kitchen torch) …

DA68BA1B-01B2-4A2E-B82B-1B587B0B9B4B.thumb.jpeg.80940730bc35f1d975f9871945cc6262.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

@Duvel 

ive , for some time

a second tank

20 years  if not more

back in the day i used my Weber 3burner 

for longer colder etc

consider it

local prices and tax apply.

why ?

it happened yo me

doing Goat Ribs

tank ran out

yite a busy ago.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Duvel said:

wanted to practice on the weekend, but after two pizzas the gas was finished 🙄 …

What size tank?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

What size tank?

It‘s a 5 kg tank. I brought the last refill three month ago, but had quite some BBQs with it. Come to think of it, it was due …

• Like 1

Just now, Duvel said:

It‘s a 5 kg tank. I brought the last refill three month ago, but had quite some BBQs with it. Come to think of it, it was due …

Whew! Thanks. That explains things. I was starting to think how expensive those pizzas were about to become. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Whew! Thanks. That explains things. I was starting to think how expensive those pizzas were about to become. 

I am very sure that the gas used to bring the Ooni on temperature is cheaper that heating my electric oven up for an hour to prine the pizza steel …

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

I am very sure that the gas used to bring the Ooni on temperature is cheaper that heating my electric oven up for an hour to prine the pizza steel …

Yes I’m sure it is. I thought you were saying that you were only able to make two pizzas on a tank of propane!

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_3511.thumb.jpeg.62e56b3d9f5408e864953263ce093baf.jpeg

IMG_3523.thumb.jpeg.2bc5a84f77e7d574d0cbfe3d52b3f757.jpeg

Experiments continue on the attempt to imitate Sir Pizza pizza. I think I need to make a low hydration high gluten flour dough treated the way I did this dough. 

IMG_3515.thumb.jpeg.33d8c1e95d83f971243752d3297e772a.jpeg

IMG_3516.thumb.jpeg.046a03b82a3ef9083a74b5e3f1e0fb1d.jpeg

IMG_3517.thumb.jpeg.45b674fc216cd7b03f897991d19e6886.jpeg

Little balls of ricotta tend to roll when you launch the pizza - and they catch fire almost immediately.

IMG_3518.thumb.jpeg.ed4b84788589d9f610f4e44fab785010.jpeg

IMG_3520.thumb.jpeg.c508e65fed3ab136ec29f9e4d9bd1751.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

7 hours ago, KennethT said:

Pull scale?  It's slightly more labor intensive.. hehe....

Can do …

I actually have this gadget, which works pretty well. But whatever indicator you have & use, you need to check occasionally. And this is where I fell short 😉

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Should I be afraid to ask what Sir Pizza is?

I looked it up.  Small chain in the Midwest mostly.  You would not approve

• Like 1