• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ooni Pizza Oven

andiesenji

16 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

@Kerry Beal, have you tried pita yet?  Wondering if there is enough space for them to puff up without incinerating the top. 

I haven't - but they would be OK - there isn't a heat source on the top so the incineration would happen from the bits too close to the flame at the back. 

I'm thinking naan.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

8 minutes ago, kayb said:

Question: could you use this thing like a tandoor?

Not exactly - was having the same thought - a tandoor you slap the dough on the wall, then pick it off with a hook - this will require launching dough off a pizza peel onto the stone which won't be the same. 

On 6/19/2021 at 12:27 AM, blue_dolphin said:

@Kerry Beal, have you tried pita yet?  Wondering if there is enough space for them to puff up without incinerating the top. 

I’ve done pitta and naan a few times. They generally turn out well. Kerry’s right about the heat coming mainly from the back, however, with pitta the amount they puff can put them a bit near the ceiling of the oven. If they touch that they scorch pretty badly. Best technique I’ve found is being ready with the peel and just shielding them if they start to get a bit close. 

the other thing I’m still getting right is the thickness to roll out the dough to. There’s a pretty narrow window between being too thick and doughy and too thin they turn out like a crisp cracker. 

I’ve had a look but can’t seem to find any pictures, will post some

up next time I try them 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Thanks, @&roid!  I decided to pull the trigger and ordered the Koda 16. The website says 2-4 weeks before it ships.  Might come back with more questions then. 

Nothing quite like duelling pizza ovens to keep things interesting around here. Looking forward to it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Thanks, @&roid!  I decided to pull the trigger and ordered the Koda 16. The website says 2-4 weeks before it ships.  Might come back with more questions then. 

I can confidently say that you’ll love it 😊 

it works so well, was a doddle to set up and even my first pizza came out half decent. 

the main thing I’ve learned with mine so far is the importance of fully proofed dough - times when I’ve tried to do it too soon haven’t been as impressive as when I’ve made sure it’s ready to go. But that doesn’t mean waiting an age if you don’t want to - the emergency dough recipe on the ooni site works really well and is ready to go in an hour or two. 

Having said that, if you’ve got a bit longer the last one I did was an overnight biga and I was pretty much delighted with it. 

• Thanks 2

Looks like I won a Ooni Koda 12 from our provincial Pork industry association... kind of a random prize but I remembered this thread here on eGullet! Can't wait to try it out... didn't know much about it, but some YouTubing makes me wish it was a 16 due to the L-Shaped burner..... but you can't complain about free, right?

• Like 6

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

https://www.sizzleandsear.com/

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Just as bread lands butter side down ...

IMG_3441.thumb.JPG.753bad15020a8f8045c81bcd7e212231.JPG

IMG_3440.thumb.JPG.ce0bb028232cdb94e7c6b1db99431f8d.JPG

remains of a Marguerita pizza 

Looks somewhat basil disadvantaged

p

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Looks like an extraordinary save.    Quite gorgeous, and rounder than a chain's.    Do you deliver?

I seem to have mastered the round pizza - and getting it off the peel into the oven. Just can't keep it on the peel!

• Haha 2

Our major problem is keeping guests from overloading their individual pizzas.    Regardless of our warnings, people seem to need to pile on toppings that cause their pizzas to topple over into calzones when coming off the peel.    Oh,well, calzone are good.   

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

9 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I seem to have mastered the round pizza - and getting it off the peel into the oven. Just can't keep it on the peel!

6 hours ago, palo said:

Cornmeal on a peel assists.

I don't think the cornmeal helps keeping it on the peel!

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

13 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I don't think the cornmeal helps keeping it on the peel!

I use a light dusting of semolina on the peel which really does do a nice job of allowing me to get the dough off the peel. I think the trick to keeping it on the peel is not trying to come through the door with the cat trying to get outside - peel in one hand, IR thermometer and turning peel  in the other...

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

29 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I think the trick to keeping it on the peel is not trying to come through the door with the cat trying to get outside - peel in one hand, IR thermometer and turning peel  in the other...

I knew you'd have the solution in your brain; the execution, on the other hand...

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

5D007587-C7E5-4FFD-8318-9DB5D1060720.thumb.jpeg.49a99ef7af8142f7e820e051a0629b9b.jpeg

We all know that pizza should arrive in a pizza box. 

A7C42661-A759-452C-93F5-06BBA3FD5BD4.thumb.jpeg.bbcbe50e8379ffb7e44042f6e1ec7dc6.jpeg

And should be delivered directly to your home with the toppings that you requested— mushrooms and hot Italian sausage. 

D6F07216-4236-4C79-926F-119A45423B56.thumb.jpeg.cea5346c4fd5de64a56e2e33fb23a396.jpeg

With the necessary leopard spots. And should not be dropped at any point!  And @Kerry Beal did it all in her Oonie. Great dinner on Canada Day. 

Edited by Anna N
To remove extra spacing. (log)
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

13 minutes ago, Anna N said:

5D007587-C7E5-4FFD-8318-9DB5D1060720.thumb.jpeg.49a99ef7af8142f7e820e051a0629b9b.jpeg

We all know that pizza should arrive in a pizza box. 

A7C42661-A759-452C-93F5-06BBA3FD5BD4.thumb.jpeg.bbcbe50e8379ffb7e44042f6e1ec7dc6.jpeg

And should be delivered directly to your home with the toppings that you requested— mushrooms and hot Italian sausage. 

D6F07216-4236-4C79-926F-119A45423B56.thumb.jpeg.cea5346c4fd5de64a56e2e33fb23a396.jpeg

With the necessary leopard spots. And should not be dropped at any point!  And @Kerry Beal did it all in her Oonie. Great dinner on Canada Day. 

Whoa!  She has her own pizza boxes too?!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lindag said:

If you go to GT French you can buy pizza boxes! I now have 50 of them. Anna has suggested Beal's Peel's should be printed on the top. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

56 minutes ago, lindag said:

But of course! Kerry never does anything halfway. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Well my Koda 12 arrived; looks sleek. 

Having trouble with the ignition though. At first, I was able to get it turned on and stayed on for about 10 minutes. It went out with a very small gust of wind. 

Now the thing won’t stay lit. As soon as I let go of the control knob it goes out. Tried holding it down for 5 seconds and 30 seconds. No luck. :(

Have the oven off and disconnected from the tank. Will try again in 5 minutes. 

Edited by CanadianHomeChef (log)
  • Sad 7

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

https://www.sizzleandsear.com/