• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ooni Pizza Oven

andiesenji

17 minutes ago, palo said:

Not that one - and it very clearly states propane only for the burner on mine. 

51 minutes ago, palo said:

As it stands, I'm sure that's true, but after converting?

p

The Kodi have an integrated burner - they only use gas. It looks a little like a BBQ burner. The Pro has something that plugs in the back and looks like a jet engine. Its not convertible. 

New toy added to my collection - it's a turning peel. Turns out the fellow who makes all sorts of things with stainless for BBQ's and pizza ovens lives and works about 15 miles from me. So I ran up there when I got a couple of hours free last week and had a look at his various peels. This one was mine the minute I picked it up. Balanced, perfectly finished.

1232904341_IMG_33752.thumb.jpeg.067e9df2e5516e67fe706cb3a67cc112.jpeg

So much easier turning with it - 

IMG_3376.thumb.jpeg.bf7dea23921f4558af1758836a3783bd.jpeg

548885564_IMG_33772.thumb.jpeg.2f924d05897d093b6d4aa2f1b73d75f6.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

Learning curve starts on baking bread today - 

IMG_3380.thumb.jpeg.cc85310dc37d0e88abc11b4a3e9e432d.jpeg

Bottom didn't brown.

IMG_3378.thumb.jpeg.c2142dc7ca4ad22aadf86c6c8e0b1785.jpeg

Top did!

Binned it.

Fortunately the second loaf got baked in the CSO

IMG_3383.thumb.jpeg.68f0dc98e50df3b398531b27b88fcb10.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

23 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Learning curve starts on baking bread today

As you're probably figuring out, there really is no truly low setting for an Ooni.  At least, not with the propane burner.  If you're burning wood, you could probably control the quantity of wood to limit the heat output. A gas burner isn't really happy on it's lowest setting for a 4-6 minute NY style pizza  and a loaf of bread, even a small one, will be exponentially less heat/a longer time than that.  For NY style, the best workaround is to cycle the oven on and off, so, in theory, if you wanted to babysit it, you could try taking the cycling route. 

If anyone could figure out how to do great bread in an Ooni, it would be you, but, I think this might be more trouble than it's worth.  At least, not a loaf.  Naan or pita-  world class, but, a loaf...

If you're truly dead set on a loaf, I'd invest in a flameguard:

https://ooni.com/products/flame-guard-v1-3

This one is currently sold out, and isn't the right size for the Pro, but, something along these lines will help even out the flame and give you less localized burning. I would look for something pretty tall so that it sends the heat towards the ceiling and not at the loaf.

17 minutes ago, scott123 said:

As you're probably figuring out, there really is no truly low setting for an Ooni.  At least, not with the propane burner.  If you're burning wood, you could probably control the quantity of wood to limit the heat output. A gas burner isn't really happy on it's lowest setting for a 4-6 minute NY style pizza  and a loaf of bread, even a small one, will be exponentially less heat/a longer time than that.  For NY style, the best workaround is to cycle the oven on and off, so, in theory, if you wanted to babysit it, you could try taking the cycling route. 

If anyone could figure out how to do great bread in an Ooni, it would be you, but, I think this might be more trouble than it's worth.  At least, not a loaf.  Naan or pita-  world class, but, a loaf...

If you're truly dead set on a loaf, I'd invest in a flameguard:

https://ooni.com/products/flame-guard-v1-3

This one is currently sold out, and isn't the right size for the Pro, but, something along these lines will help even out the flame and give you less localized burning. I would look for something pretty tall so that it sends the heat towards the ceiling and not at the loaf.

Good thoughts - thanks. It's really the old when all you have is a hammer - everything begins to look like a nail! I really don't need to make bread in it - just prove I can do it well once then go back to what works better. But pita, naan, pide - all things I'm anxious to try.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

But pita, naan, pide - all things I'm anxious to try.

Lahmacun?

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

39 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Actually mine is the Ooni Pro - it's a 16 inch but taller than the Koda. 

Decided it on it based on the unavailablity of the Koda and my desire to be able to cook things other than pizza in it cause it's taller. 

• Like 1

interesting

the OoniPro 16 "  is not featured on their web site

but they do have a cover for it further down , sold out.

wonder if they stopped making this model ?

11 minutes ago, rotuts said:

interesting

Got mine about 2 months ago/  had been back ordered for 4-6 months/  Have the cover too.

After I use mine and it cools   ..I take my leaf blower to clean it all out

• Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Its good to have Morels

10 minutes ago, rotuts said:

interesting

It's sold out

https://ooni.com/products/ooni-pro

Even if the Pro were in stock, I'd still recommend the Koda 16.@Kerry Beal has made some beautiful pies with the Pro, but the thermodynamics in the Koda are superior.   For it's dimensions, the gas burner on the Pro is a little underpowered and the burner's torch-like flame requires considerably more turning than the L-shaped pipe burner on the Koda, which extends around two sides of the pizza. The size of the Pro does give it a bit more flexibility when it comes to other foods, but, if you're investing in an oven like this, you should really be looking for the best possible configuration for pizza, not other foods- imo.

And, try not to be too enamored with using wood.  There's a common misconception that wood adds flavor to pizza. It does not, since the pizza bakes below the layer of smoke. Wood is also much dirtier and far harder to get consistent temps with.  The Ooni wood options are especially problematic, since, when you place them on a table, it puts the top of the chimney at face level, so, when the wind shifts, you're breathing in smoke. I know plenty of folks who make stunning pies with the Karu, but I also know plenty of folks who curse the hassle that wood introduces.  The Koda makes the same stunning pies with a fraction of the hassle.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Argh !

Seems they have a new model ... multi-fuel, 16’’ and some other goodies. Looks nice, but it’s significantly more expensive 😪

I always told myself when I am in the midlife crisis age I would not buy a Porsche ... but maybe now I go for an unnecessary (and yet very desirable) pizza oven ...

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

I always told myself when I am in the midlife crisis age I would not buy a Porsche ... but maybe now I go for an unnecessary (and yet very desirable) pizza oven ...

We have a wood burning oven.   Buy the Porsche.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

eGullet member #80.

I’d definitely get the gas one - have used the pellet/wood oonis and after the novelty wears off you won’t use anything but gas. 

it’s so much easier and the taste is identical 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Totally agree - gas is the way to go. When the stone is hot and you put in the pizza - you can turn down the gas so that the bottom and top get equivalent love and avoid burning the top while bottom gets the nice leoparding.

• Like 2