• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ooni Pizza Oven

andiesenji

Lessons learned today. Pizza dough catches fire if it gets too close to the heat source. A pair of tongs works better to spin the pizza than the peel - the peel pushes the pizza back towards the heat source where it catches fire!

Let the stone get hotter if you want good spots on the bottom crust. 

Either slice the potato slices see through thin or cook them a bit.

IMG_3268.thumb.jpeg.5845c66d4528e8d00f816100e555ff81.jpeg

IMG_3269.thumb.jpeg.f13ae2b3df582eb13f95044f8428f9aa.jpeg

IMG_3264.thumb.jpeg.182c3b9dd1d0768c7d6f2ddb4fe420e3.jpeg

Bottom of the Marguerita - stone not hot enough yet clearly.

IMG_3266.thumb.jpeg.b5ac97b2656914f4f4f5486a6e9239e1.jpeg

IMG_3267.thumb.jpeg.7d5c1e23c17c4a160bd11f5e62441ba2.jpeg

Bottom of the potato and balsamic caramelized red onion. Top not done enough!

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 14

9 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Lessons learned today. Pizza dough catches fire if it gets too close to the heat source. A pair of tongs works better to spin the pizza than the peel - the peel pushes the pizza back towards the heat source where it catches fire!

After trying one peel and making a mess of it, I now use two peels. The Ooni peel has a thin edge than goes under the pizza easily. I use this to go under the pizza and bring it to the front of the oven. I then insert another round peel under the pizza at around a 30-40 degree angle. I then take the second peel off the first with the pizza on top, straighten it so the pizza is turned the angle and put it back in the oven. The whole process is very quick and allows you to turn the pizza every ten seconds or so during cooking to ensure even spots.

• Like 2

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

At these temperatures and given that the bake takes 90 secs, how long does it take for the bottom of the crust to solidify to be able to turn it and not make a teppanyaki show out of it ..?

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

At these temperatures and given that the bake takes 90 secs, how long does it take for the bottom of the crust to solidify to be able to turn it and not make a teppanyaki show out of it ..?

You’re about 30 seconds over. Mine take around 60 seconds. The base is solid after 10 seconds. I try to turn around six times.

My eG Foodblog

6 hours ago, nickrey said:

After trying one peel and making a mess of it, I now use two peels. The Ooni peel has a thin edge than goes under the pizza easily. I use this to go under the pizza and bring it to the front of the oven. I then insert another round peel under the pizza at around a 30-40 degree angle. I then take the second peel off the first with the pizza on top, straighten it so the pizza is turned the angle and put it back in the oven. The whole process is very quick and allows you to turn the pizza every ten seconds or so during cooking to ensure even spots.

No peel with this one

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

What are folks thoughts on oil in dough vs no oil in dough?

My dough yesterday was the one that @scott123 linked to which is essentially 1 litre of water, 1.65 kg of 00 flour, 45 grams of salt, 1 gram yeast. I divided into 3 and added more yeast as I wanted to use it later same day. After the bulk rise I divided into 4 balls and put each in it's own lightly oiled plastic take out food container. Dumped out in an already nice round shape.  It was a lovely dough to work with - easy to keep round (vs the dough from the day before) - with a judicious application of 00 flour during the shaping and on the metal peel didn't have any sticking trouble at all. 

3 hours ago, nickrey said:

You’re about 30 seconds over. Mine take around 60 seconds. The base is solid after 10 seconds. I try to turn around six times.

Wow ... 6 times would probably be a bit too much hassle for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

What are folks thoughts on oil in dough vs no oil in dough?

My dough yesterday was the one that @scott123 linked to which is essentially 1 litre of water, 1.65 kg of 00 flour, 45 grams of salt, 1 gram yeast. I divided into 3 and added more yeast as I wanted to use it later same day. After the bulk rise I divided into 4 balls and put each in it's own lightly oiled plastic take out food container. Dumped out in an already nice round shape.  It was a lovely dough to work with - easy to keep round (vs the dough from the day before) - with a judicious application of 00 flour during the shaping and on the metal peel didn't have any sticking trouble at all. 

I generally use no oil, except the way you used it - just a smidge in a lightly oiled container; those go into the fridge for overnight proofing.

Has anyone ever gone down the rabbit hole into the Patsy's pizza world?

Reverse engineered like so...http://varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On 5/9/2021 at 5:07 PM, Kerry Beal said:

Resistance is futile!

Ok. I made up my mind and reserved the necessary funds ... but - somewhat luckily - the Pro model (that you have and now I want too) is sold out in Germany ...

Dodged the bullet there 🤗

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Dodged the bullet there 🤗

That is too bad. It would have been fun watching duelling newbies. 

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

That is too bad. It would have been fun watching duelling newbies. 

Hah ... I had no illusions there - delivery time for the other models is around 5 weeks. By that time @Kerry Beal would have aced it ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

No peel with this one

This is the peel I use for loading pizza...

https://superpeel.com/exo-long-handled-non-stick-super-peel-wood-fired-oven-peel/

There is a better picture of it in Modernist Bread.

For turning and retrieving pizza the peel I use is thin stainless steel.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

11 hours ago, Duvel said:

Wow ... 6 times would probably be a bit too much hassle for me.

If you don’t you can get the big char marks. It’s six turns in a minute. How much faster can food get?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My eG Foodblog

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_3313.thumb.jpeg.095142981406ccdbc2087cf5cd763d9c.jpeg

Zuni Cafe's Roasted Chicken with Bread Salad

IMG_3314.thumb.jpeg.a1d87e7f33bc456341f9dc2ed8909524.jpeg

Propane stopped a couple of times which was a little annoying - going to have to look into that a bit more. 

IMG_3317.thumb.jpeg.025854a88adfc3e465b067abd48fe9a8.jpeg

IMG_3320.thumb.jpeg.9ac8c4a5822ceed73560cba612c5287d.jpeg

This is just before she reached over to see what she could drag out of my bowl. 

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_3320.thumb.jpeg.9ac8c4a5822ceed73560cba612c5287d.jpeg

This is just before she reached over to see what she could drag out of my bowl. 

What a pretty cat!

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@Kerry Beal

are you using a combo of wood and propane ?

is the Zuni bird any different in the Ooni

vs a conventional oven

if you are only using propane ?

The Ooni Pro can use propane, wood, hardwood charcoal or pellets.  But not together - so today I was using propane with the thought that it would make it easier to get a consistent temperature.

I can't recall how it turned out in the conventional oven. 

5 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

The Ooni Pro can use propane, wood, hardwood charcoal or pellets.  But not together - so today I was using propane with the thought that it would make it easier to get a consistent temperature.

Do you have access to piped in gas (natural or propane?) Tanks are so very pernickety.

p

8 hours ago, palo said:

Do you have access to piped in gas (natural or propane?) Tanks are so very pernickety.

p

I don't know that I can use natural gas on this one - I do have that piped in. 

4 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Kerry Beal 

I guess in the Ooni, you could use propane

for heat   ( ease of use )  and add

a few hardwood ( fruit wood ) pellets for

a bit of smokiness 

not such a good idea  inside .

The propane burner sits right where the wood would be so I think it's one or the other rather than both.

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I don't know that I can use natural gas on this one - I do have that piped in. 

Conversion kits are available for BBQs - try manufacturer - then try BBQ Galore in Burlington - I bought a NGas cooktop that I had to convert to propane, no problem - last resort try a gasfitter.

p