• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ooni Pizza Oven

andiesenji

A font of knowledge as always 🙂👍

yeast is saf laveur ADY from a 500g tub. It’s a few months old but is working well in other breads at the moment. 

the test ball had more than doubled overnight which I guess is a good thing? This pic was at just shy of 24 hours from first mixing. 

2BB6A78A-EE19-4F11-B044-6D029E62525D.thumb.jpeg.47bdd3eaeaf6e53b16eea0ba329fa3fc.jpeg

maybe I’ll try the exact same recipe again but with an overnight proof instead of 8-10 hours. I could mix the dough at 6pm then ball it up at say 10pm ready to cook at 1-2pm the following day... 

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

6 hours ago, &roid said:

yeast is saf laveur ADY from a 500g tub.

I haven't come across anyone working with yeast in a tub, but, I can tell you that the plastic lid is going to be far too air permeable for longevity. If you have a local bakery that will sell you fresh yeast that you can use within a day or two, that's ideal. But the yeast has to be super fresh on their end (no more than a day or two in their fridge) and super fresh on yours.  And it's got to be a one shot deal- ie, if you score a 2 lb. brick, whatever you have leftover after using it gets tossed.

Other then fresh yeast, which, for obvious reasons, isn't really practical for most, the best yeast for the home pizza maker is this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fleischmann-s-Classic-Bread-Machine-Yeast-4-oz/10306744

It's instant (instant is better than active) and is in an airtight jar.  When stored in the fridge, you can easily get a year and a half from it.  You won't find this in the UK, so the next best option is to make it by purchasing something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mauripan-Instant-Dry-Yeast-500g/dp/B086K4SLRC/

and storing it in something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kilner-Wide-Mouth-Preserve-Litre/dp/B078WYZZ4Y/

That specific .5 liter jar could work very nicely with a 100g pack of vacuum packed IDY, but, right now, I'm not finding any 100g packs from reputable sellers. No matter what, make sure it's vacuum packed instant dry yeast, and, the split second you open it, get it into an airtight glass jar with a metal lid and a rubber seal.

As far as your overnight idea goes... the Caputo cuoco can definitely handle it, but longer room temps can be difficult when dialing in the yeast, because you're typically talking about so little.  I also think that a longer balled ferment makes it even a little harder to hit the perfect schedule.  I'd kind of like to see you fully dominate a same day dough first, but, if you were going to go overnight, I might go bulk until morning (starting as late as possible in the evening) and then ball when you get up.  This test you did in the glass- was that dough bulked first? 

The glass test does tell us, to a point, how far you can take the dough.  Assume the dough started off in a ball-ish shape, and not a perfect column, that could be 3x it's original size.  I definitely wouldn't take that dough further than that- and might even go for a little less.  If you're fermenting in clear plastic containers (a good idea starting out), you can match the pockmarks on the side of the glass jar with the bottom of the dough in the container.

I took the yeast quantity directly from the VPN specs, and have never actually calculated the baker's percent.  .06% (1g/1650g) is a crazy small amount.  For my same day NY dough (no bulk), I'm at about .5%.  I'd like to see you get your hands on IDY, but, I get the feeling that the recipe is mostly to blame.  If you want to work with the yeast you have... I might give .2% a shot with... 2 hours bulk and 6 balled. It won't be perfect, but it should get you in the ballpark.

Considering the underproofed dough, this looks really good.  At this point, I think it's just about making more pizza.  As you recognized, because of the less than ideal proof, the dough was hard to stretch.  You should be able to dial in the proof within about 5 batches, and as you dial it in, stretching will get more and more comfortable.  You're doing the slap technique that's in the video I posted, correct?

• Thanks 1

I've always found yeast to be more resilient than less. I used to be a lot more careful but these days I keep it in a ziploc in the door of the fridge. As long as I use it within a year, I basically find no really noticeable degradation in ferm. 

Wow! Thanks for taking the time for such a detailed answer again 🙂👍

19 hours ago, scott123 said:

I'd kind of like to see you fully dominate a same day dough first, but, if you were going to go overnight, I might go bulk until morning (starting as late as possible in the evening) and then ball when you get up.  This test you did in the glass- was that dough bulked first? 

for logistical reasons I’ll have to go overnight this weekend but I’ll definitely look to do some shorter ones when time allows. 

the dough in the glass was simply pulled from the main dough straight after mixing. I guess this will have slowed it down some given it was such a low volume for all of its rise?

I’ll do as you suggest and go for as short as possible overnight in bulk then ball up first thing in the morning. I could do the dough around 9-10pm then ball it around 8am with an aim to cook around 1-2pm. That would be 16 hours In total so maybe I should just go for the same yeast amount as last time and see where it gets me? Depending on how that goes I’ll try the 0.2% yeast and a much shorter rise next time out. 

19 hours ago, scott123 said:

You're doing the slap technique that's in the video I posted, correct?

I am - although this is definitely a work in progress! I think I’m starting to get the hang of it though and it definitely seems to make a nice job than other techniques I’ve tried. 

when I get this Neapolitan business a bit more sorted I’d like to have a go of NY style. I’ve seen some people get very nice looking results from a koda 16 with the gas control turned the wrong way to give more NY temperatures. That can wait for another day though!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

My friend , who rarely posts ,who knows why

got this :

https://ooni.com/products/ooni-koda-16

and used it over the weekend , on TheCape

ie WoodsHole.  it was cold this last weekend , but he said the temp got up to

750 F or so.  I assume he has measurement skills .

IMG-5328.thumb.jpg.8e42eb05095135c3ad13859f03f5918c.jpg

IMG-5326.thumb.jpg.9f048bfaaabf4abdea800dbc721f7a6e.jpg

here is Penny , a young Golden , knowing something is up , so she is paying attention just in case

IMG-5329.thumb.jpg.b3e991c64cac045e378c5645174382c9.jpg

IMG-5327.thumb.jpg.39c1a923382f03df4f931b4fb20043a9.jpg

he said the pizza was very very good.   he makes pizza in the oven often , so Im guessing he knows a bit about it

however , he did not do the edge-curl pic

so he has something to learn

Id have been all over this  ,  some tome back

pleased he is enjoying it

and hopefully Penny got a small treat.

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, &roid said:

Looking great @Ann_T  

how do you find it?

@&roid well it was the first time using.  Took it out of the box and fired it up.  

Was really happy with the first try. 

I've decided that I need a better surface to use it on so looking at buying a stainless table that is a little higher. 

• Like 2

On 11/1/2020 at 10:22 PM, rotuts said:

My friend , who rarely posts ,who knows why

got this :

https://ooni.com/products/ooni-koda-16

and used it over the weekend , on TheCape

ie WoodsHole.  it was cold this last weekend , but he said the temp got up to

750 F or so.  I assume he has measurement skills .

IMG-5328.thumb.jpg.8e42eb05095135c3ad13859f03f5918c.jpg

IMG-5326.thumb.jpg.9f048bfaaabf4abdea800dbc721f7a6e.jpg

here is Penny , a young Golden , knowing something is up , so she is paying attention just in case

IMG-5329.thumb.jpg.b3e991c64cac045e378c5645174382c9.jpg

IMG-5327.thumb.jpg.39c1a923382f03df4f931b4fb20043a9.jpg

he said the pizza was very very good.   he makes pizza in the  [url=https://grillguru.org/best-outdoor-pizza-oven/]oven[/url] often , so Im guessing he knows a bit about it

however , he did not do the edge-curl pic

so he has something to learn 

Id have been all over this  ,  some tome back

pleased he is enjoying it

and hopefully Penny got a small treat.

Thx for the recommendation! What a cute dog and nice pizza and a very cozy veranda. Best wishes!

Edited by FillPizza (log)
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I just purchased the Ooni Koda 12 inch version and am very pleased with results. This was my second ever pizza in the oven.

IMG_0852.thumb.JPG.5c52a99d7ee4366f8baf34fff0ad5e75.JPG

I use my sourdough starter (which I keep in the fridge). Starter is 50% hydration. It is fed every two to three days.

Recipe as follows:

Feed starter in bowl (100g flour, 100g water), set out at room temperature covered with wet cloth for 24 hours.

Recipe for dough for two 12 inch pizzas (linear scale up if you want to make more).

319g (Caputo Blue) flour

100g starter  

186g water

10g salt.

I use my Thermomix to make the dough. Add all elements except the salt. Bring together. Let sit for half an hour. Add Salt. Run for 2 minutes 10 seconds on dough setting. Transfer dough to pre-oiled bowl.

I then put the dough into Brod & Taylor proofer at 27C for two hours.

Then into refrigerator overnight, again covered.

Take out two hours before making pizza, divide into dough balls, cover and let rise.

The hydration is perfect for the heat of the Ooni oven.

Edited by nickrey (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

• 3 months later...

New toy - arrived Thursday - set it up this am with help of hubby. Gave it a cleaning burn this am - then fired it up again this afternoon to cook some pizza.

IMG_3252.thumb.jpeg.ec8097facb95c01937fc7a47e124a477.jpeg

IMG_3253.thumb.jpeg.7a4a19bdef5d7f38d10de7e87fd786c3.jpeg

IMG_3256.thumb.jpeg.c44c4b93fd4c6b7397c2b2b9f23dd395.jpeg

IMG_3260.thumb.jpeg.6bce940bbae90652aeb5b169410c5a51.jpeg

The IR thermometer I had outside was not the right one to determine stone temperature -  it couldn't measure that high. So I think the stones weren't quite as warm as they could have been. Took about 3 1/2 min to cook and wasn't truly great, but it's a start. 

Scale turned off half way though measuring the flour - so when all was said and done the dough was lower hydration than would have been perfect. And I need a trip to Buffalo to get my favorite pizza sauce (or I might just have to make some) - a challenge with the border closed. 

• Like 12
  • Delicious 3

Congratulations. Do you ever sleep? I think that’s fine for a first attempt. Do you deliver?😂

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

And I need a trip to Buffalo to get my favorite pizza sauce (or I might just have to make some)

Oh Kerry - I know you can make your own...better than any you can buy. Might be the easiest thing you’ll ever make!

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Pizza sauce has to be the easiest part of the process.    Someplace lower than setting the table.    Go simple.    Tomato and EVOO are incredible.   Add aromatics cautiously, then return to the basic.  

eGullet member #80.

9 hours ago, weinoo said:

Might be the easiest thing you’ll ever make!

Indeed. It’s just that after 5 18-hour days in a row…. sometimes you just want to open a jar. Besides there’s so much more in Buffalo than just pizza sauce!  

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

7 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Besides there’s so much more in Buffalo than just pizza sauce!  

Certainly a good-enough reason to get Buffalo-ed in Buffalo.  But the pizza "sauce" I'm talking about is pretty much opening a jar, or can, of good tomatoes. Maybe a touch of salt and a glug of olive oil, but you have those out already, right?

Edited by weinoo (log)

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

56 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Certainly a good-enough reason to get Buffalo-ed in Buffalo.  But the pizza "sauce" I'm talking about is pretty much opening a jar, or can, of good tomatoes. Maybe a touch of salt and a glug of olive oil, but you have those out already, right?

oh but we are not talking about me! We were talking about @Kerry Beal!  I was merely trying to point out that when you have a major role to play in the Covid pandemic sometimes you want the easy way out. I will leave the rest to Kerry. She has no difficulty speaking up for herself. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

Indeed. It’s just that after 5 18-hour days in a row…. sometimes you just want to open a jar. Besides there’s so much more in Buffalo than just pizza sauce!  

So true - Buffalo is so much more than just picking up pizza sauce! There is the visiting with @patris, there is the trying to stuff everything in my car that she has received for me, there is the walk around Wegmans, the walk around Trader Jo's...

But the Don Pepino pizza sauce really is very nice and I thank @patris for introducing it to me every time I use it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, weinoo said:

Yeah - that's what I've done today - sans the glug of olive oil - I'll drizzle that on at the end. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Duvel said:

Must. Resist. RESIST.

Being part of eGullet must have been the most expensive decision since getting married 😉

Resistance is futile!

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

So true - Buffalo is so much more than just picking up pizza sauce! There is the visiting with @patris, there is the trying to stuff everything in my car that she has received for me, there is the walk around Wegmans, the walk around Trader Jo's...

But the Don Pepino pizza sauce really is very nice and I thank @patris for introducing it to me every time I use it!

Funny - I have been eyeing the Ooni but I don’t yet have a place to put it. Rest assured though, I am fully vaxxed and quite anxious for a long-overdue visit when the border reopens!

Edited by patris (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Patty