• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Onion greens

DanM

This morning I picked up a massive bundle of fresh baseball sized onions. I am in the process of making progress for dinner with them. 

Now what to do with the tops. I have a bundle 4" thick and about 12-25" long of greens. They are a bit too big and firm to use like scallions or green onions.  Any suggestions? 

ETA... How about grilling and serving with romesco sauce like calcots?

Thanks!

IMG-20190412-WA0001.jpeg

Edited by DanM (log)
  • Like 2

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

I was going to say grill them and your sauce sounds great.

Green onion cakes:  chop them fine because they may be tougher than spring onion tops....this is what I usually do with my extra tops in the late spring.

After a quick google:

• Charred: You can throw scallion greens on the grill, calçotada style. And slurp them down with a carafe of red wine like they do in Spain.
  • Pureed: Turn the greens into a lovely chimichurri-like sauce by giving them a whizz in the blender with some fresh herbs, olive oil and a splash of red wine vinegar. Finish with a hefty pinch of dried thyme and oregano and some salt and pepper.
  • Garnish: The green part of a scallion or green onion makes a great substitute for chives. Just give them a quick mince.
  • Tarts and quiche: Add the greens to the filling of a tart, quiche or Spanish tortilla.
  • Scallion pancakes: These Asian apps are a quick way to dispatch a hefty quantity of greens in no time flat.
  • Scallion spread: Mince up scallion or green onion greens and add them to a mixture of half goat cheese and half cream cheese. Blend with a pinch of salt and pepper for a “gourmet” cheese spread.
  • Scallion hummus: Add a few chopped onion greens to your next batch of hummus for a little flavor and color boost.
  • “Gremolata” with scallions: Riff on the classic Italian condiment by substituting scallion greens for parsley. Mince together a few scallion or green onion greens, one clove garlic, zest of a lemon and salt; mince. Sprinkle a pinch of this zingy garnish on slow roasted foods to brighten their flavor.
  • Scallion top compound butter: Blend the “gremolata” mixture above with a stick of softened butter. Press into a ramekin or form into a patty or roll and refrigerate for up to five days or freeze for up to three months. Add a pat to cooked chicken, fish or steak; stir into hot cooked rice or pasta; or slather on grilled bread.
  • Eat those scallion tops! You can always just ignore the recipe and use the whole scallion or green onion — white root to green tip.

• Like 1