• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

International Potato Chips

col klink

I have seen some strange chip (or crisp) flavors in England.

Prawn (shrimp) crackers, steak and onion, ketchup (Yeuuuuk) flavored, bacon, you name it, they make it.

My favorite was the 'salt-your-own' kind, whereas in each small bag was a packet of salt, so you could make yours as salty as you wanted.

:hmmm:

I love Dirty potato chips too. I liked the Jalapeno Heat flavor the best. They have a website www.dirtys.com, that you can order from. I have also seen Ketchup potato chips in my local Weis. I think they were Lay's brand.

Today is going to be one of those days.....

• 9 months later...

I thought Marlene's mention of Miss Vickie's might have been on this thread, but it wasn't. Oh, well, since I couldn't find it elsewhere, this thread will do as well.

I just finished working on a weight-loss book written by a couple of dieticians, so I really, really needed some junk food. So I finally tasted Miss Vickie's Original flavor -- Au Bon Pain carries them, along with the Salt and Vinegar flavor. Pretty good, satisfyingly thick enough to let you know you're eating something potato, lightish on the salt. But I found them just a tad too grease-flavored. Of course, if I were in a potato-chip mood and there were nothing else at hand, they'd be just dandy.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from a birthday party in Jacksonville, FL, where I spotted and tried Tom's (I think) Salt & Pepper chips. They're not international, but they are *damn* good. Even Mrs Fryguy, who's fighting a nasty flu, enjoyed them.

I'd have liked them better if they were kettle cooked and thicker-cut, and made with sea salt & more pepper. As they are though, I'd give them a 6/10.

I've recently tasted and am completely hooked on Jackfruit chips (got from our local Asian grocery store) - they're just 'can’t stop till the packet's over'.

I also have tasted sweet Taro chips not too bad but they were sweetened a bit too much.

I have waiting for me - pineapple chips and sweet potato chips - will report later...

Mmmm, potato chips. You can keep your ice cream, foie gras, heroin. Just hand over the chips.

While trying to track down the name of the bizarrely wonderful chips I had in Mexico awhile back (Doritos Mysterioso flavor, kind of curry-ish) I came across what must be the Mother of All Potato Chip Reviews Sites (sample: Walkers Pickled Onion Flavour Crisps, Zweifel Original Provencale Chips, The Original Atlantic Lobster Flavoured Chips). Go up a level and they have reviews of every imaginable junk food (sample: Snacks Shaped Like Cheese Puffs That Don't Actually Have Cheese, Snacks Shaped Like Things, Unusual Flavors [the mind boggles]). Oh, oh, oh!

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain

My favorite was the 'salt-your-own' kind, whereas in each small bag was a packet of salt, so you could make yours as salty as you wanted.

Kettle Classics used to include a small packet of hot sauce with their Cholula Potato Chips. The slightly wet, thick chips were great. I don't think they include it any more, but we have taken to sprinkling hot sauce on our chips.

I just got back from Mexico, and Sabritos has a line of "Mexican specialties" chips based on traditional Mex dishes--there's a lot of gushing prose on the back about how eating these reflects your pride in your Mexican heritage...

But anyway, the rajas con crema were incredibly delicious--and somehow they tasted significantly different from the enchiladas verde (which weren't nearly as good). Flavor-crystal technology is really astounding.

Zora O’Neill aka "Zora"

Roving Gastronome

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In Englandland, a long time ago In every bag of Smith's crisps there was a small blue waxed paper twist with salt in it, which you opened and sprinkled in to the bag. my Uncle Peter showed me how to pinch this hard between finger and thumb to split it in a macho way.then cast it over the crisps.l

I would pay money to be able to do this again.

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

My absolute favorite "weird" chip flavor are Japanese shrimp chips... I grew up eating those. The brand we always got from the local Japanese market is Calbee. These days, I also like their SnapPea Crisps.

At the local Asian market, I've seen everything from Caramel Corn flavored chips, to BBQ chicken and Ham flavors.

Cheryl

I was able to sample Doritos Jamon!-Jamon! (jammin'!) and Lay's Presunto chips in Spain and Portugal, respectively, and couldn't get enough of their hammy goodness. Elsewhere in Spain I had a queso viejo flavor that tasted remarkably like manchego, but I forget the company that made them.

And I would kill for poutine chips.

I don't know how e gulleter's can go on and on about exotic chip flavours, when they comprise little more than salt, oil, starch, and concocted food chemistry by recent college grads. I hope this indulgence does not occur more than 12 times per year. It could keep someone from the real pleasures of salt, fat, and starch.

I don't know how e gulleter's can go on and on about exotic chip flavours, when they comprise little more than salt, oil, starch, and concocted food chemistry by recent college grads.

And your point is....?

Don't let's start dissing each other's vices -- that sort of thing gets ugly real fast.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain

• 2 weeks later...

The worst I ever had on a lark was out of a vending machine in North Carolina...

Coney Island Flavor!! (do not know the brand name).

When you opened the bag you got a strong whiff of hotdogs, mustard and other condiments. It was quite disgusting. Granted, I don't think it was a "good" brand of chips but I just don't think that flavor combo would work for me with potato chips even if the "execution" was better... :blink:

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I don't know how e gulleter's can go on and on about exotic chip flavours, when they comprise little more than salt, oil, starch, and concocted food chemistry by recent college grads. I hope this indulgence does not occur more than 12 times per year. (emphasis added). It could keep someone from the real pleasures of salt, fat, and starch.

:laugh::raz::laugh:

and on the fifth of each month, we salute the concept of "Better Living Through Chemistry" by eating the fake-flavored chip of our choice!

The rest of the time, we stick to the sublime basics: salt-fat-starch.

Yum, I'm gettin' hungry!

• 1 month later...

I used to live in Maine and Humpty Dumpty chips were popular, with odd ball flavors. Ball Park Hot Dog, was one. Now they are in Canada and you can get Roasted Chicken and lots more.

They eat, they drink, and in communion sweet

Quaff immortality and joy.

--John Milton

And your point is....?

Don't let's start dissing each other's vices -- that sort of thing gets ugly real fast.

Jayt90 responds "I would call this the American Disease "

MUST...IGNORE...TROLL...MUST...NOT...SUCCUMB...TO...TEMPTATION...

Sorry. Too late. Already got my dander up, so to speak.

Tell me, JayT, who peed in your cornflakes? You seem to take positive delight in insulting and provoking people. I didn't see anyone mocking Canada prior to this. If you dont WANT to read a thread about chips/crisps/other junk foods, then DON'T. Pretty simple, huh?

This isn't the first time I've taken exception (admittedly on someone else's behalf) to your sniping.

eGullet is about FOOD. That includes junk food. Now take your juvenile attitude and play insomeone else's sandbox.

not sure if this was mentioned, i just had to mention when i was a kid in london, someone came up with the idea of

hedgehog crisps (chips)

that's right, and they were absolutely disgusting, and i like the sampi and lemon

my favourites are

sausage and tomato

chicken

smokey bacon

roast beef

Gods, I LOVE the British! :biggrin:

Hedgehog is a large meatloaf sort of thingie with rice or other bits sticking out of it, no? Or am I channeling something odd from an old episode of Two Fat Ladies? Getting the info on this may help me understand why hedgehog crisps would be disgusting, provided we are not discussing actual hedgehogs. That I would understand.

:laugh:

"My tongue is smiling." - Abigail Trillin

Ruth Shulman

Mama Zuma's. Burn burn burn. Thought it was fun at first and but couldn't stop eating for fear of fire setting in for real. Then got through the bag. After that, fifteen minutes of suffering. Don't know where they are made. Never want to see a bag of them again.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

• 2 weeks later...
Gods, I LOVE the British!    :biggrin:

Hedgehog is a large meatloaf sort of thingie with rice or other bits sticking out of it, no? Or am I channeling something odd from an old episode of Two Fat Ladies? Getting the info on this may help me understand why hedgehog crisps would be disgusting, provided we are not discussing actual hedgehogs. That I would understand.

:laugh:

The crisps/chips really did purport to be flavoured with real hedghog. Which caused some fun in the press at the time

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.