• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

International Potato Chips

col klink

The don't have chicken flavoured chips/crisps in the USA? They are an Australian Standard flavour. The UK is full of weird chip flavours: Pickled onion, roast beef, marmite.

We don't have chicken over here as far as I know. But as for weird flavors... roast beef is WAY weirder than chicken. :cool:

Lay's occassionally trots out a Roast Chicken chip which is great, except it never stays around long. There's another brand, Napa Valley that makes Roast Chicken, but that brand is practically impossible to get in Ontario. Old Dutch made a short run here, but Hostess, Lays, and Humpty Dumpty more or less ran them out of town :angry:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Yet another Canadian entry: President's choice rosemary and somethinsomethin' (olive oil, i think). Kettle cooked, nice and thick, fantastic crunch, AND, get this, the rosemary flavour actually comes from rosemary! I kid you not.

Oh Marlene, if only I ever saw them here....

Well Hubby's in Winnepeg today, so I've tasked him with bringing back several boxes of Old Dutch bbq. Since Lay's discontinued their spicy bbq, the only decent bbq chip I've found is Moon Lodge, and you can't buy it here. I suppose I could visit a US prison to get some :blink:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

HEB (regional grocery store) has blue cheese and buffalo wing flavored chips. Yes, that's exactly what it tastes like--vinegary/spicy w/a distinct blue cheese flavor.

the Mr. at most of them on the way home from the store. :rolleyes:

I love the Japanese shrimp flavored chips.

Challah back!

HEB (regional grocery store) has  blue cheese and buffalo wing flavored chips.  Yes, that's exactly what it tastes like--vinegary/spicy w/a distinct blue cheese flavor.

This whole International potatoe chips thread amounts to garbage. Yes, deep fried, who knows what the additives are, garbage. How can anyone put one of these vile foods? into their mouths. And then join a thread that talks about eating at Susur's, North 44, Avalon, slurping down oysters? What wine is recommended 'to go with' the latest trend in the famous international cchips/crisps?

Popcorn?. well that is another story. :biggrin:

This whole International potatoe chips thread amounts to garbage.  Yes, deep fried,  who knows what the additives are, garbage.  How can anyone put one of these vile foods?  into their mouths.  And then join a thread that talks about eating at Susur's, North 44, Avalon, slurping down oysters?  What wine is recommended 'to go with' the latest trend in the famous international cchips/crisps?

Popcorn?. well that is another story. :biggrin:

I can't believe that you think this whole website can be distilled into a couple of threads. You obviously don't have enough experience because as anyone should know, you don't drink wine with potato chips, you drink Old English 800 or if you're a plebeian, Mickey's. :raz::raz:

This whole International potatoe chips thread amounts to garbage.  Yes, deep fried,  who knows what the additives are, garbage.  How can anyone put one of these vile foods?  into their mouths.  And then join a thread that talks about eating at Susur's, North 44, Avalon, slurping down oysters?  What wine is recommended 'to go with' the latest trend in the famous international cchips/crisps?

Popcorn?. well that is another story.  :biggrin:

Popcorn? Whatever.

• 2 months later...

Must be the season for the new chips to come out, ran across a lot of new ones in the store yesterday.

Here is my favorite:

http://219.114.105.174/cgi-bin/news/data/1.../1050304608.jpg

American hamburger flavor, described as having a double whammy of beef and pickles!

others were

spicy mayo

meat sauce flavor (referring to a meat flavored pasta sauce)

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 2 weeks later...

I was recently in Greece, and they had three "Mediterranean" flavours (limited time offer, maybe?). The flavours were tzatziki, tomato & olive, and feta.

I tried the tzatziki and tomato & olive flavours, and they were delicious!! The tzatziki has a nice yogourt & cucumber taste, with some dill and garlic flavours as well (and some other spices, but I don't remember what the ingredients were). The tomato & olive flavoured chips were also quite good, although I couldn't taste the tomato--I think the olive flavour overpowered it. They should've just named it "olive" flavour. Unfortunately, I didn't get to try the feta cheese flavour.

And in response to an earlier post from I don't remember when, I tried Lay's "P.E.I. loaded baked potato" flavour recently & I agree, the flavour doesn't quite work with the texture of the thin Lay's chip. However, Ruffles has a flavour, "The Works" (only available in Canada?), and that is one of my favourite Ruffles flavours.

If anyone wants to try Japanese chips in Vancouver, there is a huge variety at the Chinese grocery stores in Richmond--one of the biggest being Osaka supermarket at Yaohan Centre. There is also a candy/junk food store upstairs called "Candyland" and they have some unusual Japanese junk food that Osaka supermarket doesn't carry. I saw the "corn potage" flavoured ones there.

And lastly, is there a forum/thread for Japanese candy here? I'm new & I haven't had a chance to look through all the threads yet...

Welcome! Interesting flavors there. I would have gone for the feta too.

You can go to the Restaurants, cuisine, and travel section, there is a japan board, or click here. I have no idea if there's a specific candy thread, but you could always start one.

This isn't the most exotic but it's my all time fave and not mentioned yet (I think) - Dill Pickle Chips. They're fairly common in Ontario and I know Old Dutch makes them as well. Haven't really seem them in the States, though Dill (rather than Dill Pickle) makes the odd appearance. Too classy if you ask me. The moment I first figured out for myself that dill pickle chips were simply salt and vinegar chips with dill remains my finest hour. I just wish they'd make Kosher Dill Pickle. Salt and Vinegar with dill and garlic. That would be tasty.

"Tis no man. Tis a remorseless eating machine."

-Captain McAllister of The Frying Dutchmen, on Homer Simpson

The latest offering from Walkers (UK) is Slow Roast Lamb and Mint Sauce Crisps (blech blech and double blech)...

In Mexico you have chicharrones, which is pork rinds with lime, salt and chile flavours, they also have Sabritones brands which is the same thing, but fake pork rinds and very tasty also...

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

And here's some for a wish list:

tapenade

putanesca

anchovie

gremolata

lemon garlic

curry

vindaloo

tandoori

harissa

zaatar

rouille

aioli

sichuan

jerk

And how about smoked salmon? Or sour cream and onion and smoked salmon? What about clam chowder (clam, dairy, hint of bacon)? Or bouillabaise (fish, saffron, garlic, anise etc.)? What about gravy? For that matter, what about poutine (cheese and gravy)? Now that's so brilliant it must already exist. What say ye, Quebecois friends?

"Tis no man. Tis a remorseless eating machine."

-Captain McAllister of The Frying Dutchmen, on Homer Simpson

Welcome!  Interesting flavors there.  I would have gone for the feta too.

You can go to the Restaurants, cuisine, and travel section, there is a japan board, or click here.  I have no idea if there's a specific candy thread, but you could always start one.

Thank you! ^__^ Mmmmm, candy...

And here's some for a wish list:

tapenade

putanesca

anchovie

gremolata

lemon garlic

curry

vindaloo

tandoori

harissa

zaatar

rouille

aioli

sichuan

jerk

And how about smoked salmon? Or sour cream and onion and smoked salmon? What about clam chowder (clam, dairy, hint of bacon)?  Or bouillabaise (fish, saffron, garlic, anise etc.)?  What about gravy? For that matter, what about poutine (cheese and gravy)?  Now that's so brilliant it must already exist. What say ye, Quebecois friends?

Wow, those are quite exotic flavours! I wonder if they make curry, vindaloo, & tandoori-flavoured chips in India?

I believe Thunder Crunch made curry-flavoured chips for a while (I was afraid to try them), but I haven't seen them lately here in Vancouver...they also used to make really yummy BBQ and Buffalo Wings flavours... I wonder what happened to them? And as someone mentioned before, Pringles makes curry-flavoured chips as well (I don't remember if they sell them in North America though--they might at the Asian supermarkets). The Asian Calbee brand also makes curry-flavoured chips (available in Asian supermarkets).

Sichuan/szechuan--maybe they make that in China or Japan? I don't suppose they would be very spicy if they were made in Japan though--I've heard that many Japanese don't like things that are intensely flavoured.

Mmmmm....smoked salmon sounds delicious...I've been a bit obsessed with smoked salmon foodstuffs lately...Luckily, I live in Vancouver ^___^ Clam chowder also sounds very good... I seem to remember seeing gravy-flavoured chips lately... Oh, I think they were Old Dutch (someone correct me here?)--steak & gravy, I think? I was quite disappointed with that...

• 2 weeks later...

Wow - the notion of chipmakers using the crisp as a platform for distilling flavors of real foods is mind-blowing (not to mention drool-enhancing!)! Are potato chips the ramen of the west?

• 4 weeks later...

Walker's in the UK have just launched a 'Great British Takeaway' range of crisps - including Chicken Tikka Masala, Chinese Spare-Rib, and Sweet and Sour flavours.

In the interests of science, I selflessly picked up a pack of the first two. The Chicken Tikka Masala ones were nothing special - they tasted sweet and pickle-y, like tomato ketchup flavour crisps. But the Spare-Rib flavour was great: they had a really interesting aniseed flavour (along with the meaty background flavour) that I've never found in a crisp before.