• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

International Potato Chips

col klink

I find it to be a supreme tragedy that ketchup chips are not available in the US.  They are sooo good.

Really? I've seen them up in Canada but always went for something else. Tell you what, next time I'm up there, I'll get some. Thanks!

I find it to be a supreme tragedy that ketchup chips are not available in the US.  They are sooo good.

Really? I've seen them up in Canada but always went for something else. Tell you what, next time I'm up there, I'll get some. Thanks!

Hey, no problem! I consider it my duty to promote their goodness. In all seriousness, they are far and above my favourite flavour (brand: Lay's)

There is a Canadian chain called the Chippery that makes fresh potato chips in-house. They now have branches in the U.S., including one in New York. One of their flavors is ketchup chips.

I just bought a bag of wasabi flavoured shrimp chips made by Brilliant Food in Richmond BC...and one lead to another and...dang it, the bag was empty in five minutes. Addictive little critters.

Anyhow, I was curious about the company and a Google search turned up this review on this nifty site. Check out the rest of the Chipworld links. I love the one about the road trip where the authors travelled from Massachusetts to Virginia for a family reunion and they indulged in chip hunting along the way. Their relatives were quite concerned when they saw the 53 unopened chip bags in their room.

Wasabi Shrimp chip review

You can get ketchup flavored chips in the US, by Herr's:

Herrs-K.jpg

I've had them, they're OK. Personally, I prefer potato chips that taste like potatoes. I even like to get the no-salt variety when I find them. Especially kettle cooked style, no salt, and cooked in peanut oil. I know, boring.

I like Potato-flavored chips.

So do I. Mandoline, double-fry, sea salt.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

while they don't really count as "International" potato chips, I really like Target's brand of chips in the light green bag. Right now at home we have some "Thai Flavored" from them chips that are really good.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Tried some "Buffalo Wing's flavoured Potato Chips" on my recent trip up to Canada. They had a nice cayenne pepper flavor but not the vinegar and butter flavors I was so hoping for. They don't work as buffalo wing chips but they're not bad chips in and of themselves.

fc5abb72.jpg

Ah yes, the wasabi peas - I'm a huge fan of those as well. They're really addictive!

I haven't had those in years!

It is strange when I was living in the US I would make weekly treks, to Asian stores and spend incredible amounts of money to eat this stuff but now that I live in Japan and can buy these things at the 100yen ($.85) store, I never touch the stuff.

But I will pay $3.00 for a box of kraft Mac and Cheese! :shock:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

This might belong in another thread on the Japan forum, but you shouldn't have to pay $3 for mac & cheese in Japan if you don't want to -- Foreign Buyers' Club has Kraft Mac & Cheese for 207 yen and less. (Where to store your bulk purchases from FBC is another matter, though!)

This might belong in another thread on the Japan forum, but you shouldn't have to pay $3 for mac & cheese in Japan if you don't want to -- Foreign Buyers' Club has Kraft Mac & Cheese for 207 yen and less. (Where to store your bulk purchases from FBC is another matter, though!)

Actually I order the cases (24 boxes) of springfield mac and cheese from them. :biggrin:

But with delivery being 4 to 6 weeeks, when you need it right now..................

you will pay anything!

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Just got back from Canada where I scored a couple bags of Lay's Smokey Bacon potato chips. Not bad at all - I was afraid they would taste like a less tomatoey BBQ flavor, but it seems like they've been able to manufacture a decent fake pork fat flavor. Also got some ketchup chips since I tried them and liked them over at Klink's.

The don't have chicken flavoured chips/crisps in the USA? They are an Australian Standard flavour. The UK is full of weird chip flavours: Pickled onion, roast beef, marmite.

We don't have chicken over here as far as I know. But as for weird flavors... roast beef is WAY weirder than chicken. :cool:

You can get ketchup flavored chips in the US, by Herr's:

Herrs-K.jpg

I've had them, they're OK. Personally, I prefer potato chips that taste like potatoes. I even like to get the no-salt variety when I find them. Especially kettle cooked style, no salt, and cooked in peanut oil. I know, boring.

Smiths Crisps in Australia has recently released Meat Pie and Heinz ketchup flavoured crisps. Aswell as Pepper steak flavour. I tried some, and they do taste sort of like meat pie and ketchup; not much meat flavour at all.

'You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.'

- Frank Zappa