• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

chromedome

chromedome

59 minutes ago, dtremit said:

In your particular case, I wonder if something like this would be useful: Not-so-lazy Susan ? I don't need to store skillets in my corner cabinet but it seems like it'd be useful if I did.

That Shelf Genie "Glide Around" looks almost ideal -- but given you can't even get a price without a "design consultation" I'm guessing it's stupid expensive. This wire equivalent is interesting, but the center drawer is only 12" wide, which is just a little too small for a lot of stuff I do store down there. And I feel like nothing would actually fit in the side baskets. Plus it's $600, versus $120 for a good lazy susan.

(I can commiserate on the knees -- you can probably hear my cursing up in Canada when I drop something behind my freezer drawer, which I imagine is similar.)

I've seen those as well, and they're both improvements on the basic lazy susan design.

Truthfully, the only time I'm likely to do this is if I'm building a house to suit my needs. I'd avoid a corner cabinet entirely, if that's an option, but if I have to have one I'm open to one of the higher-end solutions. What feels "stupid expensive" as a retrofit is a relative drop in the bucket when you're first building, especially if you plan to use that kitchen for decades. Which, if I have the opportunity to own again, I certainly would. After a lifetime average of <18 months per address, this stone is pretty tired of rolling.

chromedome

chromedome

17 minutes ago, dtremit said:

In your particular case, I wonder if something like this would be useful: Not-so-lazy Susan ? I don't need to store skillets in my corner cabinet but it seems like it'd be useful if I did.

That Shelf Genie "Glide Around" looks almost ideal -- but given you can't even get a price without a "design consultation" I'm guessing it's stupid expensive. This wire equivalent is interesting, but the center drawer is only 12" wide, which is just a little too small for a lot of stuff I do store down there. And I feel like nothing would actually fit in the side baskets. Plus it's $600, versus $120 for a good lazy susan.

(I can commiserate on the knees -- you can probably hear my cursing up in Canada when I drop something behind my freezer drawer, which I imagine is similar.)

I've seen those as well, and they're both improvements on the basic lazy susan design.

Truthfully, the only time I'm likely to do this is if I'm building a house to suit my needs. I'd avoid a corner cabinet entirely, if that's an option, but if I have to have one I'm open to one of the higher-end solutions. What feels "stupid expensive" as a retrofit is a relative drop in the bucket when you're first building, especially if you plan to use that kitchen for decades. Which, if I have the opportunity to own again, I certainly would. After a lifetime average of <18 months per address, this stone is pretty tired of rolling.