• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

chromedome

chromedome

18 hours ago, BeeZee said:

I have a corner cabinet with lazy susan top and bottom shelf, they are like a pie with a wedge cut out (not a full circle) so they sit in line with where the shelves would be (I have no upper shelf, just the lazy susan). I use it for small saucepans on the top shelf, larger pans on the bottom. My door is a single hinge bi-fold and it opens more than 90 degrees so I get full access to the opening.

I really don't love the corner, but having the door that opens fully makes a difference. The lazy susan shelves are self-leveling in that if you turn them they return to "center".

My setup is similar, though my lazy susan isn't self-centering. I use it for pots and pans, because that's what *needed* to go in that space for various reasons.

It's much more useful than an L-shaped pair of shelves would be...I've had that option, and loathed it. OTOH I'm not a big fan of this arrangement either. The handles of my pots and pans often jam, and there's a lot of wasted space behind the lazy susan. Also, if anything falls down behind the lazy susan, it'll stick and you'll have an entertaining time trying to excavate the culprit (on arthritic and damaged knees, in my case).

Watching reno shows, I've seen a couple of arrangements I like better. This page shows a couple of the ones I like, the "glideouts" shown at the top in the animated GIF and the pull-out trays shown further down. I've also seen a variation that combines those basic themes.

https://www.shelfgenie.com/blind-corner-cabinet-solutions

chromedome

chromedome

17 hours ago, BeeZee said:

I have a corner cabinet with lazy susan top and bottom shelf, they are like a pie with a wedge cut out (not a full circle) so they sit in line with where the shelves would be (I have no upper shelf, just the lazy susan). I use it for small saucepans on the top shelf, larger pans on the bottom. My door is a single hinge bi-fold and it opens more than 90 degrees so I get full access to the opening.

I really don't love the corner, but having the door that opens fully makes a difference. The lazy susan shelves are self-leveling in that if you turn them they return to "center".

My setup is similar, though my lazy susan isn't self-centering. I use it for pots and pans, because that's what *needed* to go in that space for various reasons.

It's much more useful than an L-shaped pair of shelves would be...I've had that option, and loathed it. OTOH I'm not a big fan of this arrangement either. The handles of my pots and pans often jam, and there's a lot of wasted space behind the lazy susan. Also, if anything falls down behind the lazy susan, it'll stick and you'll have an entertaining time trying to excavate the culprit (on arthritic and damaged knees, in my case).

Watching reno shows, I've seen a couple of arrangements I like better. This page shows a couple of the ones I like, the "glideouts" shown at the top in the animated GIF and the "swingouts" shown further down. I've also seen a variation that combines those basic themes.

https://www.shelfgenie.com/blind-corner-cabinet-solutions