• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

High quality soy sauce

stephen129

Has anyone tried high quality soy sauce? What does it taste like, is it worth the money? What brands would you recommend? 

I ask because I own a few bottles of high quality balsamic vinegar from Modena and the difference between them and the commercially produced stuffed is night and day. I hardly consider them to be the same product.

I wondered if it's a similar case with soy sauce. (Based on the production methods you'd assume so).

If you are using it as  dipping sauce that might make sense  to try but otherwise for cooking I am happy with my Kikkoman. The one made in Japant that also has a touch of alcohol. I am out so no photo. 

Edited by heidih (log)

We have tried shiso soy. We, too, only use it for dipping. Our local sushi place has taken it and showed it to their Japanese customers - we've given them a small bit to taste and it has led to some interesting conversations.

On 4/9/2019 at 4:39 AM, heidih said:

If you are using it as  dipping sauce that might make sense  to try but otherwise for cooking I am happy with my Kikkoman. The one made in Japant that also has a touch of alcohol. I am out so no photo. 

I love soy sauce so if anyone could link to higher quality brands they’ve enjoyed, I’d appreciate it. 

Oddly enough, I had a Kikkoman sauce sauce packet in my kitchen drawer I used recently for sushi and it tasted strongly of alcohol. To the point where I was really turned off and most things with alcohol don’t bother me. I’m assuming it was old and fermented. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Cardboard?

Yes!  I do get other high end soy sauce but this one is great bang for the buck. Really nice complex aroma and flavor. Locally I get it at Nijiya 

not sure how the packaging works (maybe lined on the inside?) but if it saves money over glass I'm all for it. 

• Like 1

I love a really high quality soy sauce.  I can eat my own fingers just by dipping it into.  I love trying new soy sauces, small batch, very terroir oriented.   But I have to admit, Kikkomen's Low Sodium soy sauce is pretty damn good.  

For dips etc, I am partial to this brand, which has a deeper, more complex flavour than most.

house of natural art.jpg

but for day to day cooking, I just use a regular popular brand. The other flavours tend to dominate anyway, so I'm not about to use a brand that costs 30 times more!.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto