• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Caneles

On 6/5/2019 at 11:25 AM, Margaret Pilgrim said:

II have made "cheat caneles" with great success.     Silicone mold and this recipe.     https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2003-may-07-fo-canneles7-story.html

My results

2010364524_ScreenShot2019-06-05at8_11_05AM.png.25f8e77ac6c0c560eadc1d8f7cc2cb02.png

I had my first cannele the other day and was blown away by how good it was and am now determined to make them.  I like the look of the recipe you linked to and printed it.  Can you tell me the size of the molds you used and how many the recipe yielded?  I don't have any molds but I read on ChefSteps that you can use any number of different  molds.  They specifically mentioned Madeline pans and i have those so may try that.  If anyone else has a tried and true recipe I'd   be interested in hearing from you.  I do have Dorie Greenspan's Baking Chez Moi and she has a recipe in that book.  I'm excited to try these and if anyone else has some wisdom to impart I'm all ears.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

As I remember. the recipe made 3 pans worth, i.e., 24 pieces.    You can also refrigerate the batter for a subsequent bake.

1636323522_ScreenShot2019-12-01at12_50_16PM.thumb.png.ddd4cf6f3adc38171dc0648fb1c3b58f.png

Thanks!  I read the 12 pages of another topic on cannelles and they said there are variations in quality between the silicone baking cups.  Do you know what brand yours is?

• 5 months later...
On 4/8/2019 at 7:23 AM, suzilightning said:

Years ago...1977-78...when I was working in restaurants to get money to go to grad school, I made these by the scores.  Buttering those fluted molds was a nightmare.

@suzilightning  Can you tell me how you cleaned the molds?  I have the proper Bordeau copper ones and I wash and dry them by hand between uses.  I read somewhere where someone said they never washed them, is that right?  I would think they'd get grungy.

Edited by ElsieD
added @suzilightning (log)