• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Caneles

Our French Canadian friends brought these to us.  We had never had them, or heard of them. They are insanely good.  The outside crunch and chew, and the soft and wet interior.....ooh la la.  

canele.jpg

• Like 6

Years ago...1977-78...when I was working in restaurants to get money to go to grad school, I made these by the scores.  Buttering those fluted molds was a nightmare.

• Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

42 minutes ago, rotuts said:

TJ's has these frozen , believe it or not,

its difficult to get the outside crunchy , but possible in the CSO

the inside is insanely delicious.

What are the CSO settings?

pre=hegat oven to 400 F

I have done this w 400 F  no-steam , but can't say if that;s best

then put Fz Tj's in    check at 10 minutes   times seem to vary on how Fz the C's are.

stand by and don't go too far.

I also use silicone paper , as the honey/sugar is pretty sticky 

time seem to vary a lot w how Fz the c;s are

Ill stop byTJ's this AM to get more material to study.

Ive only done this a few times  they are so addictive .

as  you will end up eating the whole box.   their may only be 4 to a box, 

so plan accordingly.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

I love caneles... I had them 3 times a day, years ago, when in Bordeaux...  Back then (and probably still do) they had packages of caneles at the airport to take home.  After having so many, one thing I can say is that there is a huge difference between a great canele and a mediocre one... some can even be rather bad - soggy and rubbery.

• Thanks 1

@KennethT

exactly right !

tjscanneles.jpg.6c4b149a7ed49060f98ce99cde119f86.jpg

Tj's box , now in my freezer.   I couldn't find my Tasting Notes in The Red Book

I must have ripped the page out, as these are so addicting.

Ill try tomorrow after  they re-freeze over night

and report back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I tried the canneles recipe by Saveur last night in a muffin pan at https://www.saveur.com/caneles-recipe#page-2

and they came out burnt half-way through cooking 

i compared other recipes and they all say less than 1 hour but the Saveur recipe required over 2 hours for a similar or less portion size 

Is Saveur or Niko Triantafillou  (the  writer) mistaken and I wonder about Saveur (like is it a real magazine or just a vehicle for ads) 

Edited by eugenep (log)

44 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

The most recent Toothache magazine has a nice article that compares techniques, flours, formulas to pick "the best" for caneles.

That's cool - a book written by chefs for chefs/cooks 

I wish I could read an issue or get sample articles to know if it's content relevant to me 

I subscribed to some magazines but end up never reading their articles and eventually just cancel the subscription (with great difficulty) 

I thought Lucky Peach was kinda cool but too much in-fighting among the team before getting dissolved ( I heard) 

I tried making it again using different recipe tonight. The outside burned only a little bit and was only a little bitter but when I cut open and ate the inside it’s raw dough. Yesterday it was burned completely. I think it’s not coming out right and I think I’m going to give up. It’s too hard for me. I don’t know if people know what the problem is. I’m using a muffin pan. Maybe the heat distribution in the mold might be more even so that the inside cooks before the outside burns?

15B6D958-F006-41FB-BD42-FBD8B3B63E4D.jpeg

10B0CD4D-C565-4113-91F6-AE20DDB7C5E1.jpeg

Toothache looks cool, but $10 an issue for an e-copy seems like it will price itself out of the  chef market unless they have tie-ins with Sysco or somebody who will give it to chefs as a perk.

I think t hat the dimensions of the cannelle may be the critical variable. Different ratio of volume to height than a muffin.  I believe amazon has cheap silicon cannele trays for less than the price of an issue of Toothache

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

Toothache looks cool, but $10 an issue for an e-copy seems like it will price itself out of the  chef market unless they have tie-ins with Sysco or somebody who will give it to chefs as a perk.

I think t hat the dimensions of the cannelle may be the critical variable. Different ratio of volume to height than a muffin.  I believe amazon has cheap silicon cannele trays for less than the price of an issue of Toothache

yeah - maybe the dedicated canele molds might better distribute the heat. I might try it that way but wary of accumulating more molds in the closet and I have to eat my mistakes first before possibly eating more mistakes

We flew to US last night, and first thing this morning, I went over to Trader Joe's (St. Petersburg FL).  Sadly, no caneles.  The associate remembered them, looked high and low in the frozen dessert area and said they must have been discontinued.  Oh phooey!  

• Confused 1

Darn, I was hoping I was given bad info and they were simply out of stock at the moment.  Have been locating French bakeries in our area and no one makes them, but a few are already closed for the day and I will continue my hunt.  

My friends who hooked us up with these treats bought them in Ajijic at a French bakery a bit outside of town; said they made them only on weekends, but not every weekend. 

Not having an item with any consistency is what I'd consider 'a Mexican thing,' and perhaps also 'a French thing?'  😎

11 minutes ago, gulfporter said:

Not having an item with any consistency is what I'd consider 'a Mexican thing,' and perhaps also 'a French thing?'  😎

also a Costco thing

There is a Walmart-Mexico near Ajijic.  They had the best pork tenderloin, a cut not offered in any of our Mexican butcher shops.  I bought it weekly for at least 6 months.   Then, voila! they disappeared.  I asked el jefe at the meat department, porque no mas?  He spoke English and said, "Senora, it was so popular I could not keep enough in stock to please everyone.  So I stopped ordering it."   

I was told the same thing at a local papeleria, where I had been buying bubble-wrap (not a common item).  I think it's almost endearing;  instead of disappointing customers because they run out of items, they simply stop carrying the item??   

But then again, I have been accused of being a Pollyanna.  

Edited by gulfporter (log)
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...