• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

2 hours ago, SusieQ said:

This is just amazing. Such fantastically beautiful colors. I can only imagine the thousands of hours it must take to make those costumes and headdresses. I suppose they must be handed down as treasures in families. Or do people ever wear the costumes as everyday wear? What about those two cuties standing next to the woman in red who looks like she's wearing a winter reindeer cloak and costume? Are those two wearing ethnic costumes? LOL

And who (around here anyway) would have thought of Instant Luosifen (River snail noodles)? Instant revulsion for 99% of United Statesians, I would guess. 

In the countryside, many of the Zhuang, Miao, Dong, Yao ethnic minority wear these clothes every day, especially the women. In the city not so ,much apart from festive occasions. They are not handed down. The silver headdresses are made for each unmarried woman to wear. When they marry, they stop wearing them. eventually the silver may be sold and melted down. They are very expensive and so, form part of a "dowry". There is more information on this in this topic.

3D4A0066 (Large).JPG

The three girls here

3D4A0092 (Large).JPG

are local actresses/models, hired for the event to be "cuties". Many people  had photographs taken with them.  The one on the right is well-known in the city. I have seen her often. The one on the left scowled like that all the time. They are wearing examples of a fashionable trend imported from Japan for "cosplay".

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

I found a package on instant Luosifen in one of my local groceries... in NYC... I haven't tried it since I always thought the instant noodles weren't very good... but seeing this thread is causing me to reconsider... 

I administer a Facebook group on Luosifen and I know through that that the instant Luosifen is available in the USA, Canada, UK etc. although probably not widely. Huge efforts are being made to export it. The instant noodles aren't very good (although the ones at the event were better than average. Few people in Liuzhou eat them. Why would they when real fresh Luosifen is available everywhere and a much lower cost? People do buy them to send to relatives abroad who are missing the dish. Better than nothing, they say.

liuzhou

liuzhou

2 hours ago, SusieQ said:

This is just amazing. Such fantastically beautiful colors. I can only imagine the thousands of hours it must take to make those costumes and headdresses. I suppose they must be handed down as treasures in families. Or do people ever wear the costumes as everyday wear? What about those two cuties standing next to the woman in red who looks like she's wearing a winter reindeer cloak and costume? Are those two wearing ethnic costumes? LOL

And who (around here anyway) would have thought of Instant Luosifen (River snail noodles)? Instant revulsion for 99% of United Statesians, I would guess. 

In the countryside, many of the Zhuang, Miao, Dong, Yao ethnic minority wear these clothes every day, especially the women. In the city not so ,much apart from festive occasions. They are not handed down. The silver headdresses are made for each unmarried woman to wear. When they marry, they stop wearing them. eventually the silver may be sold and melted down. They are very expensive and so, form part of a "dowry". There is more information on this in this topic.

3D4A0066 (Large).JPG

The three girls here

3D4A0092 (Large).JPG

are local actresses/models, hired for the event to be "cuties". Many people  had photographs taken with them.  The one on the right is well-known in the city. I have seen her often. The one on the left scowled like that all the time.

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

I found a package on instant Luosifen in one of my local groceries... in NYC... I haven't tried it since I always thought the instant noodles weren't very good... but seeing this thread is causing me to reconsider... 

I administer a Facebook group on Luosifen and I know through that that the instant Luosifen is available in the USA, Canada, UK etc. although probably not widely. Huge efforts are being made to export it. The instant noodles aren't very good (although the ones at the event were better than average. Few people in Liuzhou eat them. Why would they when real fresh Luosifen is available everywhere and a much lower cost? People do buy them to send to relatives abroad who are missing the dish. Better than nothing, they say.