• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Bentley

Bentley

I agree with the above.  I scale my caramel recipes up and down without any issues.  The  one thing i could think of that might be causing issues is that perhaps you are taking inaccurate temperature readings.  Make sure to use a candy thermometer or a probe thermometer that is taking the temp in the interior of the batch.  Infrared readings on the surface are never that accurate but especially so for larger batches where the difference between the surface temp and the temp of the interior can be significant.

Bentley

Bentley

I agree with the above.  I scale my caramel recipes up and down without any issues.  The  one thing i could think of that might be causing issues is that perhaps you are taking inaccurate temperature readings.  Make sure to use a candy thermometer or a probe thermometer that is taking the temp in the interior to the batch.  Infrared readings on the surface are never that accurate but especially so for larger batches where the difference between the surface temp and the temp of the interior can be significant.