• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Question Re Guitar Sheets

Bentley

What is the right thickness for guitar sheets - like the kind you put under a frame when making slabbed ganache?  The online shops carry acetate and polyethelene sheets in different thicknesses so I'm wondering which people are mostly using.

1 hour ago, Bentley said:

What is the right thickness for guitar sheets - like the kind you put under a frame when making slabbed ganache?  The online shops carry acetate and polyethelene sheets in different thicknesses so I'm wondering which people are mostly using.

None of the above.  I use a silpat and peel it off once the ganache has solidified, and before cutting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pastrygirl said:

None of the above.  I use a silpat and peel it off once the ganache has solidified, and before cutting.

ditto. I only really use guitar sheet for sealing moulds if I'm in the mood.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, A Polderman said:

I use parchment paper for slabbing because its inexpensive but when I use guitar sheets I use .005mm acetate and I purchase it from Blick. We have a store in Seattle but they do sell online.

Can you do the chocolate chablon on the parchment paper the same way you would on the plastic?

12 hours ago, Bentley said:

Can you do the chocolate chablon on the parchment paper the same way you would on the plastic?

You can use parchment paper for high heat candies such as caramels or toffees or lower temps such as ganache's. Others members may have a different opinion but personally I would use the guitar sheets or a silpat for setting any chocolate that I wanted a glossy shine on my finished product.