• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Saudações brasileiras! (Greetings from Brazil)

Hi eGulleteers!
My name is Pedro, I'm 31 and I've been a professional cook for 10 years.

I own a food truck named after the most famous brazilian sandwich, and I'm looking forward to learn many things from you guys :)
Thank you for having me.

• Like 4

Thank you my friend!

Sure, here we go: Bauru is the most famous brazilian sandwich. It's currently considered a cultural patrimony of the state of São Paulo. But there are people trying to elevate it to national or international patrimony.

Bauru IMO is the perfect sandwich, because it has so many contrasts: of textures, flavors and temperatures. It's so simple, but mindblowing.

First you have the bread, which is some kind of a french baguette but smaller (here we call it pão francês, which means french bread). It's crispy and crunchy on the outside, and soft inside. Yout cut it lenghtwise and add slices of perfectly cooked (hopefully pink) roastbeef (from the top round) to the bottom part of the bread. A few slices of a good tomato (it must be firm, a little bit green and acidic) and a few slices of bread & butter pickles. You then must remove the soft interior from the top part of the bread so it looks like a canoe. And to finish you melt slices of cheese (here we use mozzarella or another soft cheese) directly in a waterbath (around 68ºC) and you take this gooey deliciousness and put it in your canoe of bread and that's pretty much it.

Important notes:
*Roastbeef must not be hot, you should treat it like a deli product, and this way you can ensure the temperature contrast.

*Flavor contrasts: acidic from pickles and tomato x richness/fat from cheese

*Texture contrasts: crispy, crunchy from the bread and pickles x soft gooey from the cheese and roastbeef

Thank you, and if I make some writing mistakes please forgive me and correct me, because I'm tryng to improve my writing skills :)

Kudos

Bauru - Baixav2.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

11 hours ago, pedromariachi said:

Thank you my friend!

Sure, here we go: Bauru is the most famous brazilian sandwich. It's currently considered a cultural patrimony of the state of São Paulo. But there are people trying to elevate it to national or international patrimony.

Bauru IMO is the perfect sandwich, because it has so many contrasts: of textures, flavors and temperatures. It's so simple, but mindblowing.

First you have the bread, which is some kind of a french baguette but smaller (here we call it pão francês, which means french bread). It's crispy and crunchy on the outside, and soft inside. Yout cut it lenghtwise and add slices of perfectly cooked (hopefully pink) roastbeef (from the top round) to the bottom part of the bread. A few slices of a good tomato (it must be firm, a little bit green and acidic) and a few slices of bread & butter pickles. You then must remove the soft interior from the top part of the bread so it looks like a canoe. And to finish you melt slices of cheese (here we use mozzarella or another soft cheese) directly in a waterbath (around 68ºC) and you take this gooey deliciousness and put it in your canoe of bread and that's pretty much it.

Important notes:
*Roastbeef must not be hot, you should treat it like a deli product, and this way you can ensure the temperature contrast.

*Flavor contrasts: acidic from pickles and tomato x richness/fat from cheese

*Texture contrasts: crispy, crunchy from the bread and pickles x soft gooey from the cheese and roastbeef

Thank you, and if I make some writing mistakes please forgive me and correct me, because I'm tryng to improve my writing skills :)

Kudos

Bauru - Baixav2.jpg

I want one of those. Right now. Although it'd be a bit of a haul to go get it from you.

Do you cook your own beef, or buy it pre-cooked? How is it seasoned?

And welcome to the forums!

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

6 minutes ago, kayb said:

I want one of those. Right now. Although it'd be a bit of a haul to go get it from you.

Do you cook your own beef, or buy it pre-cooked? How is it seasoned?

And welcome to the forums!

I cook my own beef through sous vide @ 52ºC for about 4 hours. I season it with cloves, star anise, black pepper, honey, mustard, soy sauce, and butter.
After the sous vide, pat it dry, and sear it to enhance the flavors through Maillard reaction.

I reduce the cooking liquids to a silky "gravy" and use it to top the slices of roast beef as I assemble the sandwich.

When you come to Brazil, make sure you stop by our truck. I'll be honored to prepare a Bauru just for your delight! 
Our instagram is @dofundodobauru 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, pedromariachi said:

I cook my own beef through sous vide @ 52ºC for about 4 hours. I season it with cloves, star anise, black pepper, honey, mustard, soy sauce, and butter.
After the sous vide, pat it dry, and sear it to enhance the flavors through Maillard reaction.

I reduce the cooking liquids to a silky "gravy" and use it to top the slices of roast beef as I assemble the sandwich.

When you come to Brazil, make sure you stop by our truck. I'll be honored to prepare a Bauru just for your delight! 
Our instagram is @dofundodobauru 

That sounds marvelous -- I love that combination of flavors, but never thought of them for roast beef. I will be trying that soon! Can you give me a clue as to proportions? I do have a sous vide circulator.

Don't know that I shall ever be in Brazil, but be assured I will look for you if ever I am!

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Interesting sandwich Pedro especially the sous vide cheese...such a good idea.  The cheese will always be the perfect consistency.  

I have two Brazilian cookbooks.  The Brazilian Kitchen by Leticia Moreinos Schwartz and Brazilian Barbecue & Beyond by David Ponte, Jamie Barber and Litzy Barber.  Lots of interesting dishes.  I have made a few but now we have summer coming here I will be trying more of them on the outdoor grill.

6 hours ago, kayb said:

That sounds marvelous -- I love that combination of flavors, but never thought of them for roast beef. I will be trying that soon! Can you give me a clue as to proportions? I do have a sous vide circulator.

Don't know that I shall ever be in Brazil, but be assured I will look for you if ever I am!

Sure :)
For a 2kgs piece of top round I use:

-5 star anises

-6 cloves of garlic

-10 grains of black pepper

-80ml soy sauce (I use Kikkoman)

-25ml worcestershire sauce (I use Lea & Perrins, sorry, forgot to mention this ingredient earlier)

-20g honey

-20g yellow mustard

-20g butter

Put it all in the bag with the top round beef, cook it sous vide (time and temperature depends on the result you wish to achieve). Remove the meat, pat it dry, sear it and put it back in the bag. Let it reabsorb the cooking liquid and refrigerate. After 3 or 4 hours, remove the meat from the bag, freeze it and then slice it thinly (I use a meat slicer).Strain the cooking liquid and reduce it over low heat, very gently. I reduce it by about 1/3 of it's initial volume, but I advise you to taste, because depending on the brands of soy sauce and worcestershire you're using, you can end up with a pretty salty sauce.

And that's pretty much it.

Thank you for your interest :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Interesting sandwich Pedro especially the sous vide cheese...such a good idea.  The cheese will always be the perfect consistency.  

I have two Brazilian cookbooks.  The Brazilian Kitchen by Leticia Moreinos Schwartz and Brazilian Barbecue & Beyond by David Ponte, Jamie Barber and Litzy Barber.  Lots of interesting dishes.  I have made a few but now we have summer coming here I will be trying more of them on the outdoor grill.

Thanks,
Nice cookboks! And if I may, here goes some of my favorite books about brazilian food:
-Viagem Gastronômica através do Brasil (by Caolca Fernandes)

-Brazilian Food (by chef Thiago Castanho)

Nice! And if you do cook some brazilian food, please send me some pictures :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pedromariachi said:

Nice cookboks! And if I may, here goes some of my favorite books about brazilian food:

-Brazilian Food (by chef Thiago Castanho)

This book in the Kindle e-book version is currently on sale for only $3.99, so I picked up a copy. I'll also post that in the E-book bargains thread:

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/155470-crazy-good-e-book-bargains/?do=findComment&comment=2195882

2 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

This book in the Kindle e-book version is currently on sale for only $3.99, so I picked up a copy. I'll also post that in the E-book bargains thread:

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/155470-crazy-good-e-book-bargains/?do=findComment&comment=2195882

Whoa it's a bargain, indeed!
Enjoy traveling to Belém do Pará without leaving your country :)

• Haha 1