• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using commercial stabilizer in home made ice cream

ElsieD

1 hour ago, paulraphael said:

What stabilizer are you using? 

Avacream ice cream stabilizer mix.

Composition:

Guar gum

Mono diglycerides

Carrageenan

Suggested usage is 7 - 8 ounces per 15 gallons of ice cream.

10 hours ago, paulraphael said:

You can do much better than Haagen Dazs chocolate! I promise. Unless 23&Me says you have a genetically determined proclivity for very mild milk chocolate.

Speaking as someone who previously stated she did not like chocolate ice cream I did not want to be too daring.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

12 hours ago, paulraphael said:

That's just about increasing the solids content of the ice cream. Doing it by evaporation is a really inefficient, roundabout, imprecise way to do it. Every time I read about that approach I do a bit of a face-palm. It's much simpler and more precise to just add more skim milk powder. 

Perhaps.  I don't think the method is only about reduction.  And I note Ruben has moved on to adding skim milk powder to many recipes to reduce the reduction time.  But one cannot argue with results.  Most of us are playing with this for science or our own amusement.  Ruben is producing ice cream for paying customers.  And generously sharing information, I might add.

On 7/4/2019 at 1:20 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Perhaps.  I don't think the method is only about reduction.  And I note Ruben has moved on to adding skim milk powder to many recipes to reduce the reduction time.  But one cannot argue with results.

I'm just suggesting that you can get the exact same results with simpler, faster, more predictable methods. I understand that people like these recipes, but this doesn't confirm the analysis of why the recipes give the results that they do. Nor does it confirm that the given method is the only way (or the most efficient way) to achieve those results. 

With very high-fat, high solids recipes that include lots of egg yolk, you really don't need any special processing to get Ruben-esque textures. You've got very little water to control, and tons of stabilization and emulsification from egg proteins. If you like this style of ice cream, almost anything you do will give technically good results. 

Notes from the underbelly

• 1 month later...

I want to make some strawberry sherbet before strawberry season ends.  The recipe I have calls for citric acid or malic acid.  I have neither and beyond this recipe have no use for either.  Is there something else I can use?  I vaguely recall someone saying you could use a vitamin C tablet.  Any advice?

4 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I want to make some strawberry sherbet before strawberry season ends.  The recipe I have calls for citric acid or malic acid.  I have neither and beyond this recipe have no use for either.  Is there something else I can use?  I vaguely recall someone saying you could use a vitamin C tablet.  Any advice?

A vitamin C tablet is mostly ascorbic acid and won't add that tart freshness that citric and malic add. I'd be inclined to use fresh lemon juice as a substitute before I'd use ascorbic acid.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

On 8/23/2019 at 5:58 PM, ElsieD said:

I'd start by tasting your strawberries. Unless you're getting really great ones at the peak of season, you may find that they're more than acidic enough on their own. Some of the early batches of strawberry ice cream I made this season included citric acid (in the form of lemon juice), and came out so tart that it could have passed for frozen yogurt. Leaving out all additional acids gave results that were plenty tart.

But if you feel you have to add acid, just throw in a bit of lemon juice, as T2C said. It will add much more citric acid than lemon flavor. 

Notes from the underbelly

• 10 months later...
On 4/4/2019 at 8:40 PM, Darienne said:

Thanks @JoNorvelleWalkerfor telling me that.  I did not know.  How very interesting.  I thought I was using it in place of eggs.  On the other hand,  I have no background in either chemistry or cooking and so have only slowly learned how food items work.  

Because it was less expensive to make with constarch and because I could have a basically unlimited amount on hand as opposed to eggs so to speak...although that not does explain the use of both half and half and heavy cream...but then why should I make any more sense than anyone else...once I found that recipe using cornstarch, I never looked back and it is my go-to base.  On my own, I would have used simply 3 cups of half and half, but it was Ed, my husband, raised by a French-Canadian Mother, who loves things which are very rich and quite sweet, who insisted that I use half heavy cream.  And actually I don't eat ice cream much at all.  Which is more than you wanted to know.

Thanks again.  

Try tapioca starch. It is better frozen than cornstarch and they’re not hard to get. I used that a lot before switching to a commercial blend. Actually for 1 of my flavors I prefer tapioca starch than my blend.  I still haven’t found the ultimate culprit but I think the commercial base made my salted caramel flavor a tiny bit lumpy like I had small globs of fat and the only thing I changed was the stabilizer.

i just realized I replied to a thread that’s more than a year ago. Sorry for necroing an old thread

Edited by ccp900 (log)

1 hour ago, ccp900 said:

Try tapioca starch. It is better frozen than cornstarch and they’re not hard to get. I used that a lot before switching to a commercial blend. Actually for 1 of my flavors I prefer tapioca starch than my blend.  I still haven’t found the ultimate culprit but I think the commercial base made my salted caramel flavor a tiny bit lumpy like I had small globs of fat and the only thing I changed was the stabilizer.

i just realized I replied to a thread that’s more than a year ago. Sorry for necroing an old thread

No worry replying to an old thread, that's how eGullet works.  I use tapioca starch when making Modernist gelato.  I do not care for cornstarch.

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

No worry replying to an old thread, that's how eGullet works.  I use tapioca starch when making Modernist gelato.  I do not care for cornstarch.

Thanks jo. I hope you’re staying safe and well amidst  all the craziness of the corona virus

• Thanks 1