• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

paulraphael

paulraphael

If you're warming your ice cream to -9°C, then it makes sense that it's fine. My software estimates 76% ice fraction at that temperature which is just slightly high for scooping. But most home freezers are below -16, and standard temperature for a scooping cabinet is -12 to -14. So right out of the freezer that formula would likely be cement-like. 

Here's the breakdown:

Total Fat: 21.9%        (very, very high.)
Milk Fat: 17.9%         (pretty damn high)
Total Solids: 42.7%        (upper end of good for a full-bodied ice cream)
Milk Solids Nonfat: 4.7%       (too low. even with this much fat, you'd want at least 8% to help control the unfrozen water)
Stabilizer/Water: 0.08%        (too low to have a noticeable effect)
Egg Lecithin: 1.37%               (very high. 10X the minimum. high lecithin isn't a problem, except that it can impede whipping. But I imagine this tastes like an omelet)
POD: 118 / 1000g                  (bottom end of normal. I like this. Kids probably don't)
Absolute PAC: 286 / 1000g    (very low)    

My advice is less cream, less egg (unless you want to taste egg custard prominently) and then get your milk solids in there.

The biggest difference between pro and amateur formulas is the milk solids. They give body, and work wonders for smoothness. Lactose has impressive water control powers, and the whey proteins add emulsification and a bit of stabilization when cooked properly. And milk solids don't mute flavors aggressively as milk fat and egg fat does.

Then if you want to play with stabilizers, a good starting point would be around 0.15% by weight, or 0.25% by water weight (this if for DIY blends ... if you use a commercial blend, the instructions probably say to use more, because they usually include emulsifiers and also neutral bulk ingredients). 

paulraphael

paulraphael

If you're warming your ice cream to -9°C, then it makes sense that it's fine. My software estimates 76% ice fraction at that temperature which is just slightly high for scooping. But most home freezers are below -16, and standard temperature for a scooping cabinet is -12 to -14. So right out of the freezer that formula would likely be cement-like. 

Here's the breakdown:

Milk Solids Nonfat: 4.7%       (too low. even with this much fat, you'd want at least 8% to help control the unfrozen water)
Egg Lecithin: 1.37%               (very high. 10X the minimum. high lecithin isn't a problem, except that it can impede whipping. But I imagine this tastes like an omelet)
POD: 118 / 1000g                  (bottom end of normal. I like this. Kids probably don't)
Absolute PAC: 286 / 1000g    (low)    

My advice is less cream, less egg (unless you want to taste egg custard prominently) and then get your milk solids in there.

The biggest difference between pro and amateur formulas is the milk solids. They give body, and work wonders for smoothness. Lactose has impressive water control powers, and the whey proteins add emulsification and a bit of stabilization when cooked properly. And milk solids don't mute flavors aggressively as milk fat and egg fat does.

Then if you want to play with stabilizers, a good starting point would be around 0.15% by weight, or 0.25% by water weight (this if for DIY blends ... if you use a commercial blend, the instructions probably say to use more, because they usually include emulsifiers and also neutral bulk ingredients). 

paulraphael

paulraphael

Here's the breakdown:

Egg Lecithin: 1.37%               (very high. 10X the minimum. high lecithin isn't a problem, but I imagine this tastes like an omelet)
Absolute PAC: 286 / 1000g    (low)    

The biggest difference between pro and amateur formulas is the milk solids. They give body, and work wonders for smoothness. The lactose impressive water control powers, and the whey proteins add emulsification and a bit of stabilization when cooked properly. And milk solids don't mute flavors aggressively as milk fat and egg fat does.