• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

paulraphael

paulraphael

On 4/4/2019 at 8:40 AM, Darienne said:

Thanks @JoNorvelleWalkerfor telling me that.  I did not know.  How very interesting.  I thought I was using it in place of eggs. 

Eggs are also a stabilizer :)

Most of the problems people are describing here are from too much stabilizer. These gums work in tiny quantities.

Also keep in mind that ingredients like polysorbate 80 and mono/diglycerides are emulsifiers which serve quite different purposes. If you're using even 1 yolk per liter, you don't need those (although they're generally included in commercial stabilizers, and you may like the effect).

I usually use 0.15% stabilizer by weight. If your blend includes emulsifiers, you may need more. 0.5% is lots. Unless you're using a commercial blend that includes neutral ingredients like dextrose or maltodextrin. They sometimes include these to help disperse the gums or to add bulk to make weighing easier. 

If you're making a recipe with a whole henhouse full of eggs (looking at you, Jo!) you'll need less stabilizer than with a low- or no-egg recipe. 

Here's my stabilizer article.

And on one emulsifiers

paulraphael

paulraphael

On 4/4/2019 at 8:40 AM, Darienne said:

Thanks @JoNorvelleWalkerfor telling me that.  I did not know.  How very interesting.  I thought I was using it in place of eggs. 

Eggs are also a stabilizer :)

Most of the problems people are describing here are from too much stabilizer. These gums work in tiny quantities.

Also keep in mind that ingredients like polysorbate 80 and monostearate are emulsifiers which serve quite different purposes. If you're using even 1 yolk per liter, you don't need those (although they're generally included in commercial stabilizers, and you may like the effect).

I usually use 0.15% stabilizer by weight. If your blend includes emulsifiers, you may need more. 0.5% is lots. Unless you're using a commercial blend that includes neutral ingredients like dextrose or maltodextrin. They sometimes include these to help disperse the gums or to add bulk to make weighing easier. 

If you're making a recipe with a whole henhouse full of eggs (looking at you, Jo!) you'll need less stabilizer than with a low- or no-egg recipe. 

Here's my stabilizer article.

And on on emulsifiers