• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ElsieD

ElsieD

Changed "it" to "stabilizer" for clarity.ò

I recently purchased some commercial ice cream stabilizer called Avacream made by Avalon Chemixals, Inc.  The ingredients are guar gum, monounsaturated dyglycerides and carrageenan.   I bought this mainly as a curiosity as I wanted to experience the effect it has on home made ice cream.  My freezer is a Cuisinart ICE100, and has a built-in compressor.  I used the stabilizer for the first time this week when making some  salted caramel ice cream.  I used 3 grams for a recipe that makes about a quart.  The resulting ice cream had a different texture than usual, it was creamier but almost too much so.  It also seemed to me that it melted faster than ice cream made without it.  I am not sure if I used the correct amount - I am making a vanilla bean ice cream next and will try 2 grams of the stabilizer.  Does anyone else use an ice cream stabilizer?  If so, what has been your experience using it?

ElsieD

ElsieD

I recently purchased some commercial ice cream stabilizer called Avacream made by Avalon Chemixals, Inc.  The ingredients are guar gum, monounsaturated dyglycerides and carrageenan.   I bought this mainly as a curiosity as I wanted to experience the effect it has on home made ice cream.  My freezer is a Cuisinart ICE100, and has a built-in compressor.  I used it for the first time this week when making some  salted caramel ice cream.  I used 3 grams for a recipe that makes about a quart.  The resulting ice cream had a different texture than usual, it was creamier but almost too much so.  It also seemed to me that it melted faster than ice cream made without it.  I am not sure if I used the correct amount - I am making a vanilla bean ice cream next and will try 2 grams of the stabilizer.  Does anyone else use an ice cream stabilizer?  If so, what has been your experience using it?