• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can This Bunny Be Saved?

Kerry Beal

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Do you think it looks more male or female? Thinking shawl vs jacket - wonder if the arms will work with a jacket - making shawl preferred. I’m getting a male bunny vibe myself 

Looking at the dainty positioning of the arms/paws, I’d say female.  But if the bunny is speaking male to you, go with that (it is rather large and muscular). 💪  But you’re right - a jacket is going to be way more complex than a shawl.  Gosh I wish I was there to assist - I’d whip up a biker jacket for the little guy 😁).

• Haha 1

If flocking is too fragile, I still think the Jackson Pollock would work, but colors flung all over are a look I would do anyway (and have done, many people enjoy it). 

You don't have to do full coverage, you could go for more of a 'messy painter bunny', even add a chocolate painter's palette to sell the look.  Carefully drip over the cracks then add a few more drips and spatters but leave the shiny, nice parts as-is.  You could even have it standing on a white chocolate drop cloth with more spills or splatters.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pastryani said:

Looking at the dainty positioning of the arms/paws, I’d say female.  But if the bunny is speaking male to you, go with that (it is rather large and muscular). 💪  But you’re right - a jacket is going to be way more complex than a shawl.  Gosh I wish I was there to assist - I’d whip up a biker jacket for the little guy 😁).

When are you here next?

40 minutes ago, Paul Bacino said:

This is what I used to wax dentures in the day..  very fine torch

https://dental.keystoneindustries.com/product/hanau-alcohol-torch/

Maybe you could weld it back together!!  :)

I know Im late to the party..sorry

Please do not encourage her. All she needs is one person to point out a new toy and she’s off and running. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

When are you here next?

Not sure, but likely not before your event. 😌

35 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Please do not encourage her. All she needs is one person to point out a new toy and she’s off and running. 

I know how she feels. 😂 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paul Bacino said:

This is what I used to wax dentures in the day..  very fine torch

https://dental.keystoneindustries.com/product/hanau-alcohol-torch/

Maybe you could weld it back together!!  :)

I know Im late to the party..sorry

Got a video of how you use that sucker? I suspect if it melts then it will throw the chocolate out of temper making it look even more obvious but it's an interesting idea. 

13 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Got a video of how you use that sucker? I suspect if it melts then it will throw the chocolate out of temper making it look even more obvious but it's an interesting idea. 

I don't but I'll see if i have it laying around still ?

Here is the concept.

There is a wick going into the base of denatured alcohol,  so you light the wick,  it burns.   and the little side pumps air across  the burning wick, creating a small focused flame.

You can get a very fine concentration with it.  You can focus it to pencil lead flame or back it off for a broader melt.  Im not sure of a tempering effect though

I had another one,  that was just a small plastic bottle.  and all u did was squeeze the sides.  Its pretty niffty.  Ill  look today

Its good to have Morels

16 minutes ago, curls said:

Perhaps you could use your vacuform to make a bottom sealed rabbit mould and then use the mould filling method recommended by Teonzo.

Will need a much bigger vacuform!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chocolot said:

Pipe contrasting stitches across the cracks and call him ER Bunny.

Or do the stitches, put some bolts on his neck and call him Frank 'n' Bunny.xD

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I'm quite taken by Ruth's idea of the ER bunny - seems like a quick and dirty fix. 

Next thought is what best to make the sutures with? I'm debating painting them on vs making a chocolate clay 'suture material'

4 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Next thought is what best to make the sutures with? I'm debating painting them on vs making a chocolate clay 'suture material'

White jimmies/sprinkles?

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

You could do the sutures in melted colored chocolate, or you could use royal icing.  I was also thinking white, so it would show against the dark but if the medical community recognizes blue or black as sutures, I'd do blue for all that my two cents' is worth 😂

37 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Now I'm starting to overthink this - simple sutures, crossed sutures, horizontal mattress sutures...

Mattress sutures then we can finally put this damn bunny to bed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

823AAB66-6CF7-426B-9472-E2D41327150F.thumb.jpeg.f9929c6488fa3d664d9c39f8e186b574.jpeg

First attempt - needs work but I’m seeing potential. Wish I had a talent for straight lines!

I kept looking at this on the front screen where it's just a small picture on the right hand side thinking "sheesh, whatever that is, it looks like a band-aid".

And it was.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Kerry didn’t post her wonderful suturing job so I will.

0B80D2FD-A4F5-47F3-8D75-D8CDF4F7E2C6.thumb.jpeg.981e46e1313715163ba573b54bb1b42c.jpeg

9964B2C7-AEBA-4E3E-A9D1-09339BF159BA.thumb.jpeg.614206d66c5e720c89d8cd5c1d1b8e74.jpeg

05BB6A8A-F9FC-4B4F-A39B-8EA7118970C2.thumb.jpeg.5f33af6ad04da4495e83a017f5db8d47.jpeg

I think this is a mighty fine job of suturing.  It should heal well with little scarring. Not that the rabbit will give a damn since he’ll be eaten before he needs those sutures removed. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 7

My 2004 eG Blog