• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can This Bunny Be Saved?

Kerry Beal

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Kerry didn’t post her wonderful suturing job so I will.

0B80D2FD-A4F5-47F3-8D75-D8CDF4F7E2C6.thumb.jpeg.981e46e1313715163ba573b54bb1b42c.jpeg

9964B2C7-AEBA-4E3E-A9D1-09339BF159BA.thumb.jpeg.614206d66c5e720c89d8cd5c1d1b8e74.jpeg

05BB6A8A-F9FC-4B4F-A39B-8EA7118970C2.thumb.jpeg.5f33af6ad04da4495e83a017f5db8d47.jpeg

I think this is a mighty fine job of suturing.  It should heal well with little scarring. Not that the rabbit will give a damn since he’ll be eaten before he needs those sutures removed. 

Love it! Couldn't be better.  Great job Doc.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

3 minutes ago, kayb said:

Love it! (Maybe a little dribble of "blood" out of the corner of his mouth?

Lol - but he’s already been patched up - we wipe the blood off in the ER before we send them back out!

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Lol - but he’s already been patched up - we wipe the blood off in the ER before we send them back out!

Somebody is going to be thrilled with such a one-of-a-kind bunny! I bet when he’s auctioned he raises a bazillion dollars!  

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 3/31/2019 at 11:39 PM, Kerry Beal said:

It's all I can do to lift this mold when it's partly full of chocolate - I can't picture the logistics of doing what you suggest without the entire room becoming covered in chocolate. I'll try it with a round mold - but I'll have to find another way to mold this one successfully. 

I can assure (from first hand experience) that it's possible to use the method I tried to describe with a mold that' long up to 120 cm (1.2 metres). A Selmi is needed, especially for the pedal.

Unfortunately this is one of the cases where explaining something showing it (in person or with a video) is easy, while trying with written words is really difficult if not impossible. I would be glad to make a video, but I don't have access to a Selmi in this period. I would be more than glad to show it at the eGullet chocolate workshop, but I have personal troubles that block me here (which is a pity for me, since it seems that this year will be full of fun, I think I would spend at least 2 days at the City Museum).

I'd like to clarify that my intent is far (the opposite) from mortifying you. It has not much sense to try to learn a new technique with the most difficult case (like this one). But I encourage you to try it, as you get a grasp and gain some experience you'll see it's the most efficient way for 3D molding.

Teo

Teo

44 minutes ago, demiglace said:

Hope it's not a harey ride to get him where he's going!

Pun intended!

Here he is - prepped for travel - tourniquet holding him together 

image.thumb.jpg.faa122a648d8c255e4300164a540e9b5.jpg

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, teonzo said:

I can assure (from first hand experience) that it's possible to use the method I tried to describe with a mold that' long up to 120 cm (1.2 metres). A Selmi is needed, especially for the pedal.

Unfortunately this is one of the cases where explaining something showing it (in person or with a video) is easy, while trying with written words is really difficult if not impossible. I would be glad to make a video, but I don't have access to a Selmi in this period. I would be more than glad to show it at the eGullet chocolate workshop, but I have personal troubles that block me here (which is a pity for me, since it seems that this year will be full of fun, I think I would spend at least 2 days at the City Museum).

I'd like to clarify that my intent is far (the opposite) from mortifying you. It has not much sense to try to learn a new technique with the most difficult case (like this one). But I encourage you to try it, as you get a grasp and gain some experience you'll see it's the most efficient way for 3D molding.

Teo

For sure I’ll give it a try at some point - I’m 60 km from my Selmi so rarely use it for molding these days.

53 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

For sure I’ll give it a try at some point - I’m 60 km from my Selmi so rarely use it for molding these days.

Never tried it without a Selmi, it should be a big nightmare since you would need a second person helping with a ladle. It takes some time to learn it, especially with the open molds where you need good coordination with the pedal, but it's really effective. I literally made thousands of eggs, bunnies, chickens and so on during a Easter season, so much that after that I always made a point to leave Easter chocolate duty do other people, can't stand it anymore.

Teo

Teo

7 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Nationalized health care; gotta love it. Here, they're likely to send you out still bloody except for where they had to suture.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

You have to love eG - this arrived at @patris's place on Monday from a fellow eG'er who suspected it might have a use in this project. Too late for this - but I'll be giving it a try next time around.

IMG_4886.thumb.jpg.249f9ac96edfd84bdf6e39ebdceb6425.jpg

It's an alcohol lamp used in dental applications to melt dental wax in fine spots. I managed to pull the wick out of the hole in my attempts to shorten it - and it's too fat and layered to get back in easily - but I have managed to pull the middle of the wick up and that seems to be working at this point. I'll keep working on the wick issue!

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Be sure and keep us updated as to what Frankenbunny sells for!

I think he’s being raffled - so we will have to determine how much they raise from him

• Like 3

IMG_4902.thumb.jpg.6b6845d455d648e2444fbea7181d2c91.jpg

Here he sits in side the auxiliary store - awaiting draw day on the 20th.

IMG_4903.thumb.jpg.9170cc5e5362184fdde30cf10aa2ede7.jpg

Would have sworn he was only 24 inches tall - perhaps I was wrong!

• Like 14

14 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Some lucky person is going to get that bunny for $2...

Yup! Hope they collect a crap load of toonies for it. Judging from the jar that is there - they already have. I would have charged more myself per ticket - but they know their audience. 

• Like 3