Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kerry Beal

Can This Bunny Be Saved?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

The 3rd time wasn't the charm. My first go at the 24 inch rabbit resulted in a few holes due to weak spots and a couple of cracks.

 

IMG_4668.thumb.jpg.c50db550c69ac962ee79c817abc4612a.jpg

 

So melted down and tried again.

 

IMG_4678.thumb.jpg.1e36206f8fe0b87e36e00c4f35f61d75.jpg

 

Second time resulted in a similar result to the smaller bunny - only a few more pieces - so back into the Selmi it went.

 

IMG_4686.thumb.jpg.5f68e3aab9661ef8141a84b9998886a8.jpg

 

Third go - the fractures aren't circumferential so I can't just remove the head - fill it with something and glue the head back on. 

 

IMG_4721.thumb.jpg.26ebbbff331ed50f5be9da3670c574f9.jpg

 

 

IMG_4722.thumb.jpg.41799ad0264527c4a5a7cafe0a4d187a.jpg

 

IMG_4725.thumb.jpg.1a193443f4074b48889fa445e84f349a.jpg

 

Doesn't really follow a nice necklace pattern to pipe some royal icing or thickened chocolate on it.

 

Any ideas?

 

 


Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is that a Tomric mold?  Would Brian have an idea?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forgive me if you mentioned it already, but what is your end result for this guy?  A display piece?  Customer?  Only reason I ask is I wonder how strong the cracks and fractures are and how far will he be moved or in transit?  I know with chocolate showpieces that have some heft to them in thickness, I can use my hands (they are always hot) to rub out any seams, lines and fissures.  With the thickness shown during the second casting, it looks thick enough to handle that.  Of course, once you do that, it will be dull along those lines.  Would painting a coat a la Peter Rabbit be a way to hide them after they are smoothed out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Merry Berry said:

Forgive me if you mentioned it already, but what is your end result for this guy?  A display piece?  Customer?  Only reason I ask is I wonder how strong the cracks and fractures are and how far will he be moved or in transit?  I know with chocolate showpieces that have some heft to them in thickness, I can use my hands (they are always hot) to rub out any seams, lines and fissures.  With the thickness shown during the second casting, it looks thick enough to handle that.  Of course, once you do that, it will be dull along those lines.  Would painting a coat a la Peter Rabbit be a way to hide them after they are smoothed out?

Women's auxiliary at the hospital to raffle. Probably won't do a lot of moving around once I get him wrapped up. He seems pretty stable when I tried to snap his head off.

 

Painting won't give me shine either though. I'm wondering if I could fashion something in the way of a shawl. But not sure what I'd make it from.

 

Perhaps I could mold it inside the mold itself then attach it to the bunny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Can you give it a heavy spray with cocoa butter for that flocked/fuzzy effect?  Won't be shiny, but fuzzy is good on bunnies. 

 

Or a nice flowing cape out of modeling chocolate or sugar paste a la a superhero or little red riding hood.


Edited by pastrygirl (log)
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, pastrygirl said:

Can you give it a heavy spray with cocoa butter for that flocked/fuzzy effect?  Won't be shiny, but fuzzy is good on bunnies. 

 

Or a nice flowing cape out of modeling chocolate or sugar paste a la a superhero or little red riding hood.

 

Haven't done a lot of work with sugar paste - or even modeling chocolate for that matter - but it would likely make a better cape than painting inside the mold. 

 

Given the size of him I'd have rough time time flocking him in my 'spray booth'  but the thought did cross my mind. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was thinking molding chocolate too PG.  The fuzzy effect is a great idea too.  Everyone likes fuzzy bunnies don't they?

 

I feel this bunny can definitely be saved.  😁

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel modeling chocolate would be your best bet.  It fits the chocolate theme, it isn't so heavy compared to sugarpaste, taste is not off-putting like some fondant, and is very forgiving when it comes to shaping and sculpting.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Make him an apron with a grinning dog on it. Or one that says something stupid, like, "Eat the Cook" or "Warren Buffy" or "Crackhead."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Looks like one of the bunnies out of Watership Down.


Edited by lemniscate (log)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Make him an apron with a grinning dog on it. Or one that says something stupid, like, "Eat the Cook" or "Warren Buffy" or "Crackhead."

You overestimate my talents - drawing isn’t one of them 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Instead of flocking, you could fling colors all over it and Jackson Pollack the whole thing.  Some drips might have to be more strategic than others.

 

The Ladies' Auxiliary might not be the right audience, but you could make an Easter mummy - spread white chocolate on strips of acetate and wrap around. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trouble with flocking is it requires a frozen bunny. I have not got a freezer big enough to get this fellow frozen and it’s too warm outside now besides that it’s raining.

 

The mummy is a fabulous idea

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or, since you're a doctor, put him in a full body cast 😂

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't believe I'm about to say this because I generally tend to be a picky basta… err... fella, with my work but... personally, I'd probably just take a fine paint brush and some well-thinned melted chocolate and paint along the cracks then say "here you go Lady's Auxiliary" and watch them be thrilled. :D

  • Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you had prior success with this mould? He is a huge bunny! How much does he weigh?

 

No other suggestions for repairs but if you make him again perhaps you can try painting the mould with a layer of chocolate before you do your final fill and rotate. Hopefully  we'll learn some additional tips at this year's eGullet chocolate workshop that will help you with next year's Easter bunny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, curls said:

Have you had prior success with this mould? He is a huge bunny! How much does he weigh?

 

No other suggestions for repairs but if you make him again perhaps you can try painting the mould with a layer of chocolate before you do your final fill and rotate. Hopefully  we'll learn some additional tips at this year's eGullet chocolate workshop that will help you with next year's Easter bunny.

I can’t recall if I’ve ever successfully molded him - I know he’s broken more times than I care to count! I’d say around 4 kg


Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you affix a little backpack/basket to his back/front and pipe decorative straps to disguise the cracks?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Hmmm - wonder how I could get that rough gauze and plaster look with white chocolate?

 

Sone sort of fine plastic mesh, like window screen or needlepoint/crossstitch backing, depending on whether the hardware store or the craft supply store is closer. 

 

or rough it up after with a stiff brush or towel. 


Edited by pastrygirl (log)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 Since you did not take my first suggestion, sent by email, of giving him his head  tucked underneath his arm,  perhaps you could behead him and let him stand on his head.😂  


Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

I’d say around 4 kg


That's a huge bunny! 


It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...