• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Applications for chocolate online business

eglies

Hi there,

Does anyone know of a good app which allows you to enter orders which come from your website to keep track of them and schedule in a calendar. View of paid invoices, unpaid and any extra features to help with online ordering? 

I don't know, but if your website is on a platform like Squarespace, Wix, etc, there should be a list of compatible  apps or plug-ins somewhere.  If you haven't already created the site, compatibility is something to consider.  My website is on Squarespace with processing through Stripe, but for in-person events I use the Square app.  I wish they were compatible so I could offer gift cards to be used either way and to simplify accounting.  Square does have invoicing features that you may find useful.

Otherwise, I assume that website orders are to be shipped as soon as possible* and my special orders and catering go on paper.  Unfortunately, there's not so much business that I can't keep track of it :/

*except just this morning I got an order requested to be delayed until after April 3, so I printed that out so I don't forget about it.

Thank you Pastry girl, I will check what apps work with wordpress. My website is not live yet so trying to think of ways to get organised and not miss out on orders. I am only starting so only few orders for me until today

• 1 year later...

Not sure if this question is still outstanding but my website http://www.racingchocs.com is built on the Wordpress platform and I use the free plugin "Woocommerce" to act as my online shop and it's great. I have opted to purchase a few paid plugins to improve its operation but these are not required for simple things like showing your items and taking orders.

If anyone is interested, I will happily share my knowledge on this, but keep in mind that I was already knowledgeable about website design before creating my website. The Wordpress and Woocommerce platforms are designed for complete novices so I found it all pretty simple, but I recognise that not everyone will have my level of comfort with computer based activities.

Matthew