• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fish for sushi/sashimi in the UK

stephen129

I live about an hour west of London. There's not really any good sushi restaurants anywhere near me, I have to go to London for acceptable sushi (even a lot of that isn't the greatest quality compared to what I've eaten in Japan and Hong Kong for example).

I'm looking to buy fish to eat raw. I did a bit of research and read that Scottish farmed salmon is pretty much parasite free and therefore is safe to eat. Do I want stuff that is frozen first, or do I need to freeze it to completely kill off any thing? I feel like the fish in Waitrose would have been fine assuming it was freshly defrosted, however the guy working there had no idea (people rarely make sushi at home in the UK). I have a local fishmonger who claims I can eat his salmon raw. Luckily salmon is one of my favourites so I'd be happy if that's the only fish I can get. 

If I travel about 45 minutes away there's an Asian supermarket which has packs of frozen sashimi and unagi kabayaki. The unagi is exactly the same stuff they use in the restaurants. It's not exactly cheap at £12, but a piece of unagi nigiri is usually around £3.50.

I also bought a very small jar (50g maybe?) Of salmon roe from Waitrose. It was extremely salty so I carefully ran it under the tap and poured in a bit of mirin and a tiny bit of soy. I ate it with some Koshihikari from Niigata cooked in my new Zojirushi. Possibly one of the best bits of sushi I've eaten in the UK.

Also has anyone got any experience of buying fish online? I found this website that claims to sell sashimi grade fish and the prices seem reasonable.

https://www.thefishsociety.co.uk/by-fish-type/raw-fish/sashimi/

IMG_20190325_131805_01.jpg

I believe that all the fish sold in the US has previously been frozen (unless its right off a boat).  Re salmon, our local restaurant lightly brines salmon prior to serving. They say that this is standard.

This site has some helpful stuff on sashimi parasites https://www.thespruceeats.com/choosing-fish-and-seafood-for-sushi-1300689

15 hours ago, gfweb said:

I believe that all the fish sold in the US has previously been frozen (unless its right off a boat).  Re salmon, our local restaurant lightly brines salmon prior to serving. They say that this is standard.

This site has some helpful stuff on sashimi parasites https://www.thespruceeats.com/choosing-fish-and-seafood-for-sushi-1300689

Checking at the moment:  Amazon Prime Now is selling Salmon Fillet King Previously Frozen @$27.99 per pound and Salmon Fillet King @$29.99 per pound.  Dinner is the last of my last purchase.

(My Hollandaise is pasteurized.)

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou