• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A question for anyone who owns a Zojirushi rice cooker

stephen129

Yes they aare built to last - at least the older ones. As I mentioned earlier I had a drop and dent incident witht he machine. The lid clicks in place but it steams out more then before. I just use a little more water. 

Hmm, very torn on this.

Also being in the UK it's very hard to get the pot I want.

Might have to buy it from some random website and pay a load of import tax.

I wonder what's more likely to die first, the Zoji itself, or the pot?

EDIT: 

This might become a non-issue. It seems impossible or insanely expensive to get it to ship to the UK.

Apparently it will cost £109 for the pot to ship from Singapore.

The Zoji website doesn't even accept my UK postcode (zipcode).

This other Canadian website wants to charge £145 with shipping and tax.

Might as well just buy a new rice cooker...

Edited by stephen129 (log)

• 2 years later...

Waking up this old thread with another Zojirushi question since the title is still apt.

I think the inner pot in my trusty Sanyo is about to call it quits, and since they were acquired shortly after I bought my cooker, no replacements are available. Planning on replacing it with a Zojirushi, but I'm a little baffled as to which one.

I'd like one of their newer models with a jasmine or long grain rice setting — but beyond that I am a little unsure as to which model to go with. Specifically, they have:

Standard "Micom" / fuzzy logic: NL-GAC10 , ~$260

Induction heating: NP-HCC10 , $329

Pressure induction: NP-NWC10 , ~$500

There's also the old Neuro Fuzzy for ~$175, which doesn't have the jasmine setting, but gets really good reviews.

I'm struggling to understand what the advantage of induction heating is in this particular use case, and to figure out whether pressure is actually worth a $250 difference. It doesn't seem like the pressure model actually cooks rice significantly faster, and I already have an Instant Pot for long-cooking grains.

This is frustrated further by the fact that most of the rice cooker reviews out there don't compare the Zojirushi models -- they pick one Zojirushi and compare it to other brands.

I suppose I should also be looking at Cuckoo, but the number of models they have vaguely terrifies me.

Appreciate any insight anyone can offer...

• Like 2

I own the induction model, I replaced the previous Zo I had with it because my hubby loved steel cut oats and the induction model could make that.

both are wonderful.  I gifted my first one to a dear friend.

Unless you want to make porridge you can't go wrong with the one on the right, both make flawless rice every time.  Idiot proof!

Additionally, my induction model seems to have been discontinued now but I paid $283 severa years ago.  The other one is actually less now than what I paid.

Be aware though that they all have a pretty large footprint.

41kMZwHVQhL._SY180_.jpg31wuPFARpOS._SX180_.jpg

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 2

I have the Neuro Fuzzy. For the last 14 years. Works still like a charm and makes perfect rice every single time. Can’t imagine what other models can possibly do better for rice …

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Neuro fuzzy here - actually just cranked it up for chirashi tonight.

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

White rice setting

Exactly what I do with a slight adjustment of water quantity for jasmine (and some other rices).

IMG_5004.thumb.JPG.ba02386dfce204e82b9997dcda0160ba.JPG

To Cook in the Rice Cooker:

• 2 cups (rice measuring cup) jasmine white rice
  • Water to fill to water level 2 for "JASMINE" or 2-1/2 cups (rice measuring cup)
  • 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I have a 10 cup National // ( Panasonic )

I've had it for so long I can't remember.

I got it for steel cut oats

but I wanted to cook them w milk

and not have to fiddle and fiddle 

on the stove.

works perfectly .

wy 10 cup ?

(  these are smaller than USA cups )

plenty of room for

mix-ins after the rice is cooked.

Ive never mixed in w steel cut oats

I mix in dried cranberries  a little more milk

if needed  when taking  the cooked oatmeal

out of the fridge.

and micro'ing

butter of course .....

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

I have the induction model (NP-HCC10) and it has worked flawlessly for me - at least once a week - I'm a lot like those websites in that I can't compare one model with another - the reason I chose the induction model was for what I perceived as more even heating (bottom, sides and lid) - less chance of scorching, though that's probably not an issue with their quality - yes there is a setting for Jasmine rice but not for basmati (white rice and adjust the water) - I don't know if the pressure option is one that would affect the uses I have (Jasmine and basmati) but if you see a reason for you then I would consider it - a rice cooker of this quality is for  years so the price is spread out over time.

If you watch their video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vZFnZa6SBo

then according to them you can't make rice unless you have this one 😝😝😝

Good luck in sorting out your choice.

p

• Like 2

On 10/4/2021 at 11:09 AM, lindag said:

I own the induction model, I replaced the previous Zo I had with it because my hubby loved steel cut oats and the induction model could make that.

both are wonderful.  I gifted my first one to a dear friend.

Unless you want to make porridge you can't go wrong with the one on the right, both make flawless rice every time.  Idiot proof!

Hm. Oddly enough, I was just thinking it would be nice to be able to make steel cut oats in the new one. What was the issue with the porridge option on the Neuro Fuzzy?

14 hours ago, dtremit said:

Hm. Oddly enough, I was just thinking it would be nice to be able to make steel cut oats in the new one. What was the issue with the porridge option on the Neuro Fuzzy?

I don't think it would be a problem; the original model that I had didn't have a setting for porridge.

• 5 months later...

Made Sticky Rice last night in my Zo to go with Sweet and Sour Chicken.

The rice was fantastic!  I did soak it for several hours before cooking.

Added some Mae Ploy Sweet Chili Sauce on the side.

I forget between uses just how much I love the taste of that.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 1

We have been very cautious with the bowl, but it is starting to scratch a bit and a few flakes peeled off.

Curious if anyone is aware of a source to replace the bowls?  I believe we have a 10cup version...

I had the induction model for years, the first bowl started to peel, despite me following the care instructions (no metal utensils, careful cleaning).  I found a new replacement bowl and used that for quite a while, and then that started flaking.  By then, my induction cooker was obsolete and no parts were available anymore.

I had contacted Zo regarding the flaking coating and a reply came that said essentially the flaking was "normal" and it was not considered a health risk to the food.   I was disappointed in that response.

I gave up on Zo rice cookers for now and just use the SS Instant Pot now for rice.  It's not the same, but works for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lemniscate said:

I had the induction model for years, the first bowl started to peel, despite me following the care instructions (no metal utensils, careful cleaning).  I found a new replacement bowl and used that for quite a while, and then that started flaking.  By then, my induction cooker was obsolete and no parts were available anymore.

I had contacted Zo regarding the flaking coating and a reply came that said essentially the flaking was "normal" and it was not considered a health risk to the food.   I was disappointed in that response.

I gave up on Zo rice cookers for now and just use the SS Instant Pot now for rice.  It's not the same, but works for me.

So sorry to hear about that.  My Zo induction is 13 years old now and the pot is still in pristine condition.  I only hand-wash it but use it pretty regularly.

They'll have to pry this Zo out of my cold, dead hands.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Raamo said:

We've had ours about 10 years, still going strong.   It's the induction model.  We only use the plastic paddle

That plastic paddle is "hard" plastic and I've been scared of it - I use a silicon spatula that is somewhat like a scoop (scoopula?)

p

50 minutes ago, lindag said:

So sorry to hear about that.  My Zo induction is 13 years old now and the pot is still in pristine condition.  I only hand-wash it but use it pretty regularly.

They'll have to pry this Zo out of my cold, dead hands.

Yeah, mine was 2006 vintage.  I just assumed it was an issue with that particular model.  

2 hours ago, palo said:

That plastic paddle is "hard" plastic and I've been scared of it - I use a silicon spatula that is somewhat like a scoop (scoopula?)

p

Hard plastic yes, but it's rounded and it's not scratched our bowl at all!