• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A question for anyone who owns a Zojirushi rice cooker

stephen129

How long have you had yours for and has it lasted?

I'm most interested in how long the inside pot lasts.

I have just bought a Zojirushi NS-YSQ10 I am hoping the machine lasts decades, based on previous rice cookers, the most fragile part is the inside pot.

I know Zojirushi sells replacement inner pots, I'm wondering if I should buy one now or if they will still be selling the same one decades later.

I've had my NP-NVC18 not quite five years.  No problem with the pot.  I don't foresee the pot as ever wearing out as long as you never poke at it with metal implements nor run it through the dishwasher.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

It depends on your use.... ours is used daily, sometimes multiple times a day, and sometimes (frustratingly) metal implements have been used inside. And possibly rice dried on the outside of the paddle. I just ordered a replacement inner pot for my rice cooker.

Zojirushi has a "parts store" that you can browse here: https://www.zojirushi.com/app/spare_parts/category/list

I got mine maybe 25 years ago as part of an auction bid. It just happened to contain household contents from a Korean family. No clue to the original purchase date. Model NMRCD18. I dropped it taking down from a high shelf and dented it a couple years ago. I use it maybe weekly, the Korean family probably used it daily. No issues with inner pot. I never have used anythng but the paddle inside. Still performs wonderfully. It also came with a ladle but I sent that to Steven Shaw long ago as his had gone missing. 

• Like 2

My Zo is more than ten years old, it’s the induction model.  I've used it a lot and the inner pot is still like new.

Mind you, I do not abuse it and hand wash it but unless there’s an earthquake here I don’t think I’ll ever have to replace it,

I love this rice maker and would buy another Zo if anything happened to mine.

• Like 2

I was looking at one also, but saw in the manuals that it takes an hour to make normal white rice... Is that true?  I've been using my Krups combination rice cooker/slow cooker and it takes only 20 minutes or so, although the rice does get better if left undisturbed for a while after it switches to keep warm...

2 hours ago, stephen129 said:

I have just bought a Zojirushi NS-YSQ10 I am hoping the machine lasts decades, based on previous rice cookers, the most fragile part is the inside pot.

I know Zojirushi sells replacement inner pots, I'm wondering if I should buy one now or if they will still be selling the same one decades later.

I would suggest if there is any question that you buy the extra one now and tuck it away. My Zo's gotta be 15 to 20 years old by now.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Another thought:  I believe there are differences in pot technologies among the different models.  Mine claims platinum; the highest end model is made of iron -- or so I understand.  There may be differences in durability.

4 hours ago, stephen129 said:

My daughter has the "neuro fuzzy" one I bought when they were first introduced. She uses it two or three times a week no problems.  Still has the original pot.

I use my IH Zo at least once a week since I got it.  Still has the original pot.  I also have the first Zo I bought 30 years ago, original pot stainless steel.  

I never use metal utensils.  They all came with rice paddles and I use those or non metal spoons, ladles, etc.

• Like 3

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

I was looking at one also, but saw in the manuals that it takes an hour to make normal white rice... Is that true?  I've been using my Krups combination rice cooker/slow cooker and it takes only 20 minutes or so, although the rice does get better if left undisturbed for a while after it switches to keep warm...

My Zojirushi makes perfect Japanese style short grain rice in 82 minutes.  And hums a cheerful tune when she is done.  Are you impatient?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

My Zojirushi makes perfect Japanese style short grain rice in 82 minutes.  And hums a cheerful tune when she is done.  Are you impatient?

Not necessarily impatient, but after getting home from work and the rest of dinner takes 30-40 min, I'd rather not wait for another 40 min just for the rice... I wonder why it takes so long?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Not necessarily impatient, but after getting home from work and the rest of dinner takes 30-40 min, I'd rather not wait for another 40 min just for the rice... I wonder why it takes so long?

You could always set a timer in the morning to have rice ready 30 minutes after you get home.  There is also a "quick" setting, though I have never tried it.

My Zojirushi has three pressure levels and it holds the rice for various times at different pressures.  Anyhow from the end result Zojiroshi seem to know what they are doing.  To my taste the Zojirushi also does well with long grain rice like basmati.  (For that you have to consult the Zojirushi website though.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

You could always set a timer in the morning to have rice ready 30 minutes after you get home.  There is also a "quick" setting, though I have never tried it.

My Zojirushi has three pressure levels and it holds the rice for various times at different pressures.  Anyhow from the end result Zojiroshi seem to know what they are doing.  To my taste the Zojirushi also does well with long grain rice like basmati.  (For that you have to consult the Zojirushi website though.)

Thanks. I had read that you could put the rice in ahead of time and use its timer, but the manual says that the results aren't as good. I'd be curious if anyone has tried setting it up and have it turn on about 12 hours later.

38 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Thanks. I had read that you could put the rice in ahead of time and use its timer, but the manual says that the results aren't as good. I'd be curious if anyone has tried setting it up and have it turn on about 12 hours later.

I have not.  When it comes to rice I am patient.

• Like 1

I'm being super careful with the pot. Washing rice in a sieve then pouring it in, rather than washing it in the pot. Only using rice paddles inside. Putting some water in it to soak before scrubbing it with the soft side of a sponge.

I feel like I'm doing everything to preserve the pot? 

I realise I'm being a bit paranoid, but the thing cost a small fortune.

7 hours ago, KennethT said:

I have set mine up to have the rice ready when I get home from work - just fluff it and eat it. Never noticed any reduction in quality.

i am not patient!

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I *had* a Zojirushi 10 cup induction rice cooker since 2005.  The non-stick coating in the pot started peeling off within 3-4 years.  I hand washed it, never abused it, but the coating flaked and peeled consistently.  Zojirushi had the view with complaints that the pot could be used safely despite the peeling coating.  I bought a new pot (expensive!)  and that one lasted about 10 years before it too started peeling, but now I could no longer purchase the pot for that cooker, end-of-life and out of stock.  So I reluctantly got rid of the cooker.   I loved that rice cooker, but now I get good enough results in the IP, so I'm not going to invest in another Zo.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Zo, but I might buy a spare pot, just in case.

• Like 3

On Monday, March 25, 2019 at 1:33 PM, stephen129 said:

How long have yoldhad yours for and has it lasted?

I'm most interested i n how long the inside pot lasts.

Late last year, I had to replace a dying (not dead, mind you) 24 year old Zo with the original pot (always hand washed and never washed rice in the pot). Pot itself is still in great shape! Machine is on the fritz - sometimes it will cook - sometimes it won't - I use it almost every day - kind of can't work with a fritzy cooker :o) 

Replaced it with a little baby Zo and a bigger Mama Zo (5.5C and 10C - I eat a lot of rice). Love the new fuzzy logic - cooks much better rice. 

Quality of the pans? ehh - might want to go ahead and get your replacement pot now :o) - the much much older pots were much thicker and had a  much thicker teflon? coating -- these new pots are not and  don't.

I put a very light surface scratch in my pot just stirring my rice the first week I got it  and I wasn't even "digging down"! :-/ Now I'm super super careful. Yes, I was using the rice paddle that came with it :o) 

HTH

CAT

• Like 1

I have an EpiPen ... my friend gave it to me when he was dying ... it seemed very important to him that I have it ... 

Regards peeling coatings - do you use the extended warm or even warm function? The Zo I had before was probably 5 - 6 years old and had no problems with peeling/flaking, always hand washed, no metal utensils and never used the keep warm function. It was induction heated and I wonder if that played any part.

p