• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cottage Cheese is the New Greek Yogurt

Alex

In all fairness, I do believe my mother brainwashed me to hold the vile stuff in such disregard.  Growing up she hated yogurt, sour cream, cottage cheese, so naturally - so did we!

I have gotten past my issues with sour cream (long as it  is not plain) but the other 2....Oy Vey.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, TicTac said:

In all fairness, I do believe my mother brainwashed me to hold the vile stuff in such disregard.  Growing up she hated yogurt, sour cream, cottage cheese, so naturally - so did we!

I have gotten past my issues with sour cream (long as it  is not plain) but the other 2....Oy Vey.

But I love plain sour cream and yogurt!

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Have to confess to loving cottage cheese; standard 70s-issue pineapple tidbits and CC, pears or peaches with CC, sliced tomatoes with lots of salt and black pepper and CC. I have used it as a sub for ricotta in lasagna in  pinch, but I prefer ricotta in that application.

I have to pay particular attention to eating enough protein every day, so cottage cheese is a good option for me. I love yogurt and sour cream, too.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I'm with @kayb, I alternate between cottage cheese and Greek yogurt as protein sources. I do eat the no salt added cottage cheese, I've found that every brand tastes slightly different which is very noticeable when salt is not masking the milky flavor. Since I usually have mine with fruit, I prefer no salt. If I want to make it savory, I can add salt as I wish. Or eat it on top of salty crackers.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Cantaloupe, cottage cheese, olive oil, salt and pepper... associations be damned, I'm enjoying it. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.