• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

FauxPas

FauxPas

48 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I like an occasional summer meal of fruit, especially melon, and cottage cheese

Mmm. I love cottage cheese with melon or mango, strawberry, fresh apricot or peach. Also with diced fresh tomatoes/celery and a bit of pepper. And I don't mind it in lasagne, either.   🙂

But I am picky about the type of cottage cheese. My favourites are Canadian ones, specifically ones from British Columbia and I like 1, 2 or 4% ones. Both Dairyland brand and Island Farms dairy co-operative taste good to me (Island Farms is the best), but it seems hard to find an equivalent brand in the US. Maybe it's just because I am used to those brands' flavours but it's been hard to find anything here that appeals nearly as much. 

I thought Shamrock and Daisy were OK, but neither thrill me. There was one from Sam's Club that was decent enough, but I don't think they carry it anymore. I got a Sam's Club membership partly because I tasted that cottage cheese as a side dish at a Tucson restaurant and was surprised that it was so tasty. 

I'd love to try that Cowgirl Creamery one! We'll be on the west coast in a few weeks but not sure we'll have a chance to shop for it. 

FauxPas

FauxPas

30 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I like an occasional summer meal of fruit, especially melon, and cottage cheese

Mmm. I love cottage cheese with melon or mango, strawberry, fresh apricot or peach. Also with diced fresh tomatoes/celery and a bit of pepper. And I don't mind it in lasagne, either.   🙂

But I am picky about the type of cottage cheese. My favourites are Canadian ones, specifically ones from British Columbia and I like 1, 2 or 4% ones. Both Dairyland brand and Island Farms taste good to me (Island Farms is the best), but it seems hard to find an equivalent brand in the US. Maybe it's just because I am used to those brands' flavours but it's been hard to find anything here that appeals nearly as much. 

I thought Shamrock and Daisy were OK, but neither thrill me. There was one from Sam's Club that was decent enough, but I don't think they carry it anymore. I got a Sam's Club membership partly because I tasted that cottage cheese as a side dish at a Tucson restaurant and was surprised that it was so tasty. 

I'd love to try that Cowgirl Creamery one! We'll be on the west coast in a few weeks but not sure we'll have a chance to shop for it.