• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eglies

Cleaning chocolate moulds after airbrushing

On 3/25/2019 at 6:59 PM, Kerry Beal said:

Toastess TWT-20

What a terrific idea this cleaning technique is (coming from someone with sore hands from rubbing cocoa butter from the tops of molds for hours on end last night). The TWT-20 seems to have been replaced by larger models, though there are still some older ones on eBay. Of course Amazon saw me looking and came up with several other suggestions (a little creepy but sometimes helpful). One I saw has a temperature control. You have mentioned those shop cloths before. No doubt I can find them, but I think you said previously you just toss them in the washer. How in the world do you get the colors out? I would also be a bit concerned about cocoa butter going down the drain (I am fanatical about the kitchen sink when I wash molds, having required one plumber visit in the time I have been working with chocolate). I suppose the shop cloths are not cheap enough to throw them away? (I can hear the gasps now, but at least I'll stop wasting paper towels. 😄)

21 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

What a terrific idea this cleaning technique is (coming from someone with sore hands from rubbing cocoa butter from the tops of molds for hours on end last night). The TWT-20 seems to have been replaced by larger models, though there are still some older ones on eBay. Of course Amazon saw me looking and came up with several other suggestions (a little creepy but sometimes helpful). One I saw has a temperature control. You have mentioned those shop cloths before. No doubt I can find them, but I think you said previously you just toss them in the washer. How in the world do you get the colors out? I would also be a bit concerned about cocoa butter going down the drain (I am fanatical about the kitchen sink when I wash molds, having required one plumber visit in the time I have been working with chocolate). I suppose the shop cloths are not cheap enough to throw them away? (I can hear the gasps now, but at least I'll stop wasting paper towels. 😄)

Temperature control would be helpful - that sucker gets hot!

The blue towels you see in that picture are Scott Shop Towels. I don't wash them, I use them like hefty paper towels and pitch them when I'm done. I also have the reusable cloth towels that I bring home (unused) from the disposable obstetrical packs - I don't let them get that dirty so those I do wash and reuse.

21 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Temperature control would be helpful - that sucker gets hot!

The blue towels you see in that picture are Scott Shop Towels. I don't wash them, I use them like hefty paper towels and pitch them when I'm done. I also have the reusable cloth towels that I bring home (unused) from the disposable obstetrical packs - I don't let them get that dirty so those I do wash and reuse.

Exactly what I needed to know and wanted to hear. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Jim D. said:

Of course Amazon saw me looking and came up with several other suggestions (a little creepy but sometimes helpful). One I saw has a temperature control.

Do you have a brand and/or model number?

1 hour ago, jbates said:

Do you have a brand and/or model number?

Here is the one I was checking out. I didn't post the link before because I haven't decided definitely. It's a little larger than I wanted, and space is at a premium in my setup. But I like that the heat is (somewhat) adjustable since I don't want to melt the chocolate shells. There are a lot of warming trays out there, it turns out.

Here is a cheaper one that is adjustable - not crazy about the raised plastic ends - but still - price is right. 

• Like 1

I have a Salton glass top warming tray I have had forever.  It lives on my dining room table.  I no longer use it for heating because at some point the plug standards changed and it no longer plugs in correctly anymore.

This warming tray is 15 1/2" x 12" (large enough for my largest molds, plus some extra room for moving the mold back and forth), is completely flat, has temperature control, and is priced around $35.

@Kerry Beal, is it possible, using this method of removing excess cocoa butter, to put off cleaning the molds until I have finished spraying, or do I still need to stop and do it after each is sprayed? The former would be so much more efficient (the gun wouldn't cool off as fast, for one thing), but I realize there are limits to how much a heated surface can accomplish.

35 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

This warming tray is 15 1/2" x 12" (large enough for my largest molds, plus some extra room for moving the mold back and forth), is completely flat, has temperature control, and is priced around $35.

@Kerry Beal, is it possible, using this method of removing excess cocoa butter, to put off cleaning the molds until I have finished spraying, or do I still need to stop and do it after each is sprayed? The former would be so much more efficient (the gun wouldn't cool off as fast, for one thing), but I realize there are limits to how much a heated surface can accomplish.

35 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

I give everything a quick 'cold' wipe as I go along to remove the excess - the hot plate doesn't get brought out until the end. 

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 6:41 AM, Kerry Beal said:

I give everything a quick 'cold' wipe as I go along to remove the excess - the hot plate doesn't get brought out until the end. 

How does this the warming tray differ from an electric skillet which has a warm setting?? Do you have a temp read for your minimal setting? Wondering if I am missing something by not having this appliance?

1 hour ago, A Polderman said:

How does this the warming tray differ from an electric skillet which has a warm setting?? Do you have a temp read for your minimal setting? Wondering if I am missing something by not having this appliance?

I would assume, not having actually tried this technique myself, that any heated flat surface large enough for the mold to slide across to wipe the surface would work. But it might be tricky in anything with high sides unless it has a large enough interior surface to take the sides getting in the way out of play.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, A Polderman said:

No minimal - one temp and it’s warm enough to burn me if I leave it on.

40 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

I would assume, not having actually tried this technique myself, that any heated flat surface large enough for the mold to slide across to wipe the surface would work. But it might be tricky in anything with high sides unless it has a large enough interior surface to take the sides getting in the way out of play.

Exactly - there are no sides in mine so molds can slide freely.

I have previously exclaimed over @Kerry Beal's idea of using a warming tray and shop towels to clean colored cocoa butter from molds, but that was in the abstract. I have just finished trying it. I bought the shop towels, and my sister happened to have a warming tray she wasn't using. It has temp control, but the lowest setting is still fairly warm. I placed a Silpat on the tray (it tempered the heat somewhat), then the towels on top of that. I must say I am impressed. Instead of spending (literally) hours using an offset spatula and countless paper towels cleaning molds after the cocoa butter crystallized, today I sprayed each mold, then turned it upside down on the shop towels, rubbed it back and forth, and in 5 seconds the top was free of cocoa butter.  Yes, if I used paper towels immediately after splattering or spraying a mold, the cocoa butter would come off, but it takes me far more than 5 seconds. And the brief time needed with a warming tray allows me to put the sprayer down, rub the mold, and get back to the sprayer, allowing less time for the cocoa butter to cool down. Someone who posted in another thread was seeking a way to hold on to the sprayer and wipe the mold at the same time; it's theoretically possible with this method as the Silpat keeps the towels from sliding around. After I finished spraying and all cocoa butter had crystallized, I saw a few places I missed, so I heated up the tray and ran each mold over a shop towel briefly. Every bit of cocoa butter came off, even with being quite firm at that point.

• Like 2

• Similar Content

• By pastrygirl
      This looks interesting - I know some of us have lamented the lack of flavor or off flavors of additives to colored cocoa butter - anyone seen or tried these?  Looks like they can be used either to mix into chocolate as a fat-based flavor or to decorate molds as usual with colored CB ...  More expensive than Valrhona Inspiration or regular colored CB, I wonder how they compare in flavor intensity, the Valrhonas I've tried were fairly intense.  I also wonder what flavors brown, black, and amber are ... https://www.pcb-creation.com/pure-emotion-colour-by-pcb-creation/?lang=en

Edited to add: the black/ brown flavors are chocolate, of course! 🙃

• By eglies
      Hello everyone. 

I have been encountering a problem with my chocolate tablets. My chocolate is tempered and checked with a test but they still seem to be coming out like this. 

Any tips about this? 

• By pastrygirl
      There are two local grocery stores here who I'd like to try to sell chocolate to but they have policies forbidding GMO soy,  Soy lecithin is allowed only if organic or certified non-GMO. 

I use a lot of Felchlin, some Valrhona, a little Cacao Barry. The only mention of GMOs I've found from Felchlin is this note in a brochure: GMO absence:  Felchlin fulfills current legislative requirements regarding GMO absence.  All Felchlin products comply with the Swiss Regulation and the European Council Regulation related to genetically modified organisms in food and feed.

Does anybody know what those requirements are?  Is anything European going to be GMO-free?  Or labeled above some %?

• By eglies
      I have just started my own chocolaterie. We opened two weeks ago, we are only online business. It’s 15 days before Easter here. I have produced Bonbons but don’t know if it’s enough. I have budgeted for this but nobody can tell me how it will go right? I’m scared we won’t cope with last minute orders that week...
    • By tinyragebaking
      Hi everyone! 

I  lurk more often than post but I love this website! I've been dabbling in making bon bons and I wanted to ask if anybody here knew of any couverture dairy-free chocolates? One of my good friends is getting married and I would love to surprise her with some bon bons, but she has a severe allergy to caesin (so much so that if there's cross contamination with other food, she risks going to anaphylactic shock).  I'd appreciate any help or suggestions

Here's a photo of some of the stuff I've been having fun with.  I did from left to right an olive oil and thyme center, raspberry and green tea, and blueberry ginger!