• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

1 hour ago, eglies said:

Another questions after having read all these great comments! Im a little confused about the temperature of cocoa butter. Ive been tempering my c.b to 29-30C and in order to achieve that gloss i need to have a room temperature of 19C. Do i need to be that strict? 

No. 

I do like a cool room but can't always control it, low humidity is nice too but also beyond my control.  I've gotten cavalier about tempering CB.  If I'm airbrushing, as long as it's not hot, it seems to work.  I have to heat my airbrush so thoroughly and so often that it seems like a waste of time to be super strict about temperature.  Do what works for you with the tools you have and the factors you can control. 

I made these last week, shiny enough for me!

B30B5EBD-1597-424C-AA51-C30E8A6D93B3.thumb.jpeg.ff5f9e6d22bb0d8660610b75a801233b.jpeg

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

54 minutes ago, eglies said:

Another questions after having read all these great comments! Im a little confused about the temperature of cocoa butter. Ive been tempering my c.b to 29-30C and in order to achieve that gloss i need to have a room temperature of 19C. Do i need to be that strict? 

No. 

I do like a cool room but can't always control it, low humidity is nice too but also beyond my control.  I've gotten cavalier about tempering CB.  If I'm airbrushing, as long as it's not hot, it seems to work.  I have to heat my airbrush so thoroughly and so often that it seems like a waste of time to be super strict about temperature.  Do what works for you with the tools you have and the factors you can control.