• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Suggestions for chocolate egg fillings

Haley

I have some fun egg molds that I want to make for Easter, but they are an awkward size.  Too small to leave hollow and fill with small candies, but big enough that my normal bonbon fillings are just too rich.  I plan to keep them as half eggs.  I will do some peanut butter filled ones but am having trouble coming up with other ideas.  Any suggestions?  (Picture to show size)

BCB93753-9805-4F60-AE17-86748FF6CB78.jpeg

Vanilla marshmallow with a layer of caramel. Dirty little secret... I look forward every year to a couple of the Russell Stover caramel marshmallow eggs. :D They'd have to be even better homemade and with better chocolate.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

30 minutes ago, CatIsHungry said:

The ever popular coconut 

I've been meaning to check out Greweling's coconut filling he uses for his Cocomels. I'm wondering if it's soft enough to be able to get it into shelled molds without a fight. I like the idea of the coconut caramel combo but I like my caramel for chocolates softer than what can be formed in a frame. 

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 hour ago, Tri2Cook said:

I've been meaning to check out Greweling's coconut filling he uses for his Cocomels. I'm wondering if it's soft enough to be able to get it into shelled molds without a fight. I like the idea of the coconut caramel combo but I like my caramel for chocolates softer than what can be formed in a frame. 

Greweling's coconut filling is very soft (in my unsuccessful attempt, too soft to cut), so it would pipe very well. But you would have to grind up the coconut a lot to get it through a piping bag.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim D. said:

Greweling's coconut filling is very soft (in my unsuccessful attempt, too soft to cut), so it would pipe very well. But you would have to grind up the coconut a lot to get it through a piping bag.

Definitely going to have to give it a try then. I wasn't hopeful about being able to actually pipe it so that's awesome even if I do have to grind the coconut a bit.

I use Greweling’s coconut filling for some larger, ~20 gram molded pieces and like the filling with dark chocolate (too sweet for me to shell it with milk or white). I spoon it into the cavities and push it in with a finger. Don’t think it would be easy to pipe but please let me know what you did if you can make piping work.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jim D. said:

5 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

Definitely going to have to give it a try then. I wasn't hopeful about being able to actually pipe it so that's awesome even if I do have to grind the coconut a bit.

I love coconut, but the sweetened shredded is ridiculously sweet.  I prefer a finer shred, unsweetened coconut.  As a bonus feature, it will pipe relatively smoothly. 

https://www.bobsredmill.com/shredded-coconut.html

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

I love coconut, but the sweetened shredded is ridiculously sweet.  I prefer a finer shred, unsweetened coconut.  As a bonus feature, it will pipe relatively smoothly. 

https://www.bobsredmill.com/shredded-coconut.html

I generally use unsweetened shredded coconut for most things. The one available where I live is called "medium shred" but it's fairly small and would easily be made smaller by a trip through a processor. :D

• Like 1

Bob’s Red Mill makes a really fine unsweetened shredded coconut. It was much easier to cut because of the smaller pieces of coconut. I agree with @curls that it would be difficult to pipe—it’s super sticky and viscous, like cookie dough consistency. I’ve had no problem cutting it with a knife. It holds its shape really well. I think her idea of spooning it in is wise. Maybe for a molded piece, spoon the coconut filling in, then pipe caramel or caramel ganache on top and then close. 

• Like 3