• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Culinary Creativity borne of Celiac or other dietary restrictions

TicTac

11 minutes ago, Toliver said:

I found this video on YouTube where they make homemade rice noodles while making a dim sum recipe:

Video

They start with 100% rice to make the batter so there's no wheat "contamination". It's a similar method to what Martin Yan (mentioned in my previous post) did on his show. He used a bamboo steamer lined with banana leaves as the cooking surface for the rice noodles. In the video above, they use a cloth for a cooking surface and also use a small cake pan (9x9-ish or so) to cook the noodles in. You can probably lightly brush the finished noodles with oil (so they don't stick together) for storing in the refrigerator for later use.

This is similar to the Thai YouTube show I linked to earlier... she made fresh rice noodles from rice flour - but I think she added tapioca starch as it helps improve texture...

• Like 1

On 5/21/2019 at 8:08 PM, &roid said:

@TicTac, came across this GF recipe the other day and thought of this thread.  I've not tried it yet but be it'd interesting if the combination of mozzarella and almond flour allows a decent bun texture to be made...

https://www.drberg.com/Ketogenic-diet-meals-recipes/desserts/keto-cinnamon-buns

I have read a great share

On 5/21/2019 at 2:42 AM, Toliver said:

Beef Chow Fun which is made with rice noodles. 

Indeed. "Fun" is one transliteration of fěn, which is an abbreviation of 米粉 mǐ fěn, which means 'rice flour', but also by extension, rice noodles.

So, any dim sum called 'fun' or 'fen' should be made from rice flour and so, gluten-free.

miàn (mien) on the other hand, refers to 'wheat'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

My understanding has been that rice noodles, at least the dried kind, are gluten free. However, I assume that it is possible that some manufacturers of rice noodles also produce wheat noodles in the same facility, so for those who are celiac or very sensitive that could be important. I do best on a limited wheat diet, but I am not allergic to wheat or gluten, so I am not so strict.

As @liuzhou points out, it isn't always easy to find soba noodles that are 100 percent buckwheat. Most of them do have some wheat in them, but the Japanese brands all seem to be pretty careful in specifying ingredients if you read the fine print. The do indeed have a different texture than the ones with wheat in them.