• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Basic Toasters

gulfporter

The Waring WCT704  It is $130 ,  but it has very long slots, so I can use it when slicing home made bread, and has a lever to lift up the toast a little higher than the regular return ,  and has worked flawlessly since I got it.   The crumb tray is quite small, but that is the only downside I have found so far.  https://www.webstaurantstore.com/waring-wct704-4-slice-commercial-toaster-nsf/929WCT704.html   

Yay, Heywood Banks.  We saw him do that live.

IMHO, the toaster that tries to do more than it was conceived for is a poser.  Toaster ovens are the worst (for toast). 

The best toast is crispy on the outside and soft and yielding on the inside.  That means having the heating elements close to the slice so that the outsides can get browned before the inside gets dry.  Even a wide-slot model that accommodates a bagel slice is a compromise.

My toaster has some movable grates that move in to grasp the slice when you push the plunger down.

I'd like to see a toaster that moves the heating elements in as well to accommodate the width of the slice.

On 3/15/2019 at 11:44 AM, Alex said:

Could you be more specific about "not a million bucks?"

Wirecutter liked the Breville BTA720XL, but it's expensive for a toaster ($79.90), unless you don't mind "major cosmetic damages but still usable," which is $44.77 from Amazon. For a cheaper toaster, they liked Cuisinart ($31 at Amazon).

Do you live near a Goodwill or similar resale shop? Regular toasters are frequent visitors. For $5 or so, it's worth the gamble. In fact, if you bring some bread with you, they should let you try it out before you buy. And with luck, you might find a very cool vintage Sunbeam.

I've had bad luck with used toasters.  Even if they work when I get them, they fail soon after.  Generally, there's a reason people get rid of them. 

So, I bought the used Breville from amazon.  There's no damage to the toaster.  It came in a different box, and had no documentation (is there an instruction manual?  Do I need it?).  My experience with Amazon's used stuff is that the people who grade it have no idea what anything is, so they judge the condition of the box.  And when it turns out to be crap, it's easy enought to return. 

I've only toasted a supermarket bagel, which it did a good job with.  The toaster being replaced was burning one side of the bagel, while the other was still cold.  Only complaint is that the buttons are on the side, which means it didn't fit in the counter space the other one did.  I had to swap the blender and the toaster on the counter, and turn the toaster 90 degrees.  No big deal.  I'll see how it does with other stuff. 

1 hour ago, dscheidt said:

(is there an instruction manual?  Do I need it?).

Here you go

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

• 1 year later...

Yep! asked directly to KA, no luck, lousy customer service IMO 

checked eBay, and other distributors, we found it in Australia, but we are afraid of the electrical outlet and electrical conversion ( we can get a get an adapter at amazon, but it just messes with the overall experience and lifespan of the product)

51 minutes ago, arqcova said:

Yep! asked directly to KA, no luck, lousy customer service IMO 

checked eBay, and other distributors, we found it in Australia, but we are afraid of the electrical outlet and electrical conversion ( we can get a get an adapter at amazon, but it just messes with the overall experience and lifespan of the product)

Agreed on electrical.  One day when not looking it will pop up somewhere. Did KA even tell you if they made one and if so the model number(s) to make more searchable. Still we wait your kitchen pics Kinda hoping @andiesenji may pop in. She kinda knows everything about this stuff. 

On 6/5/2020 at 10:44 AM, arqcova said:

Attached our humble set, it's not the best or newest, but it has been helpful 😀

IMG_20200604_151514.jpg

Those are my colors. The grayish slate backsplash works well. Thank you. If the oven, fridge etc are stainless I'd be tempted to use  ss coverplates. Perhaps my oddness from hospital work

Edited by heidih (log)

• 1 month later...

Amazon sent me another toaster to test.  It was just released for sale a few days ago and already other reviewers have raved about it.

Cukor Glass Toaster Model:  WT-8420    

Like the iconic Sunbeam T20  and all its descendants,  this is a SELF-LOWERING and SLOW-RISING toaster.  The controls are simple, intuitive and on top of the toaster which has a long, SINGLE slot.  And it has a warming rack that fits on top.  It has a very good instruction manual and has an 18-month warranty.

It toasts much more rapidly than other toasters, even on defrost!

It toasts evenly except for a little more browning at the very bottom edges of end slices that curve a bit and are therefor closer to the heating rods.

HPIM4784.thumb.jpg.0b355309d8bcd9af4ceeb00beb0c52d1.jpg

• Like 6

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

4 hours ago, andiesenji said:

Amazon sent me another toaster to test.  It was just released for sale a few days ago and already other reviewers have raved about it.

I think if I were in the market for a toaster, which I am not, I would have to seriously look at this one. Thanks for sharing your experience.g

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 3/15/2019 at 5:17 PM, wabi said:

I use a vintage T-20 toaster. They are awesome for toast, but suck for bagels...the slot isn't wide enough.

Yeah, bagels were smaller back when this toaster was first released.

On 3/21/2019 at 8:17 PM, IndyRob said:

IMHO, the toaster that tries to do more than it was conceived for is a poser.  Toaster ovens are the worst (for toast). 

This is a rather ridiculous statement.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

This 1950's Sunbeam is what we use in the country.    My d-oi-l was incredulous when the bread just disappeared.    Unlike today's modern wonders with more electronics than the first moon rocket, this simple tank-of-a-toaster is going on its 6th decade without ever mucking up a slice. 

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

7 hours ago, andiesenji said:

Cukor Glass Toaster Model:  WT-8420    

Thanks for sharing.  That looks very similar to this one branded Cusimax.

I'm happy with using the CSO for toast but prior to getting that, a toaster with a single long slot has been my favorite, though I never had one with glass sides.  It's nice that one comes apart for cleaning.  Not sure I'd want the crumby toaster interior on display at all times.  I noticed that one of the reviewers used the rack to hold a small glass bowl to melt butter.  That seems handy.  

My favorite pre-CSO toaster was a red Kitchen Aid single slot and a feature I especially liked was a button labeled "reheat" which was perfect when the toast was just a bit too pale.  Without needing to change the main setting or risk incineration with a second full cycle, this just toasted briefly.  

I see that this Breville single slot has something similar with a button labeled "A Bit More." Very handy feature. I might go for that one in a post-CSO world.

31 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Thanks for sharing.  That looks very similar to this one branded Cusimax.

I'm happy with using the CSO for toast but prior to getting that, a toaster with a single long slot has been my favorite, though I never had one with glass sides.  It's nice that one comes apart for cleaning.  Not sure I'd want the crumby toaster interior on display at all times.  I noticed that one of the reviewers used the rack to hold a small glass bowl to melt butter.  That seems handy.  

My favorite pre-CSO toaster was a red Kitchen Aid single slot and a feature I especially liked was a button labeled "reheat" which was perfect when the toast was just a bit too pale.  Without needing to change the main setting or risk incineration with a second full cycle, this just toasted briefly.  

I see that this Breville single slot has something similar with a button labeled "A Bit More." Very handy feature. I might go for that one in a post-CSO world.

This one can reheat and you can watch it and it toasts much more rapidly than most modern toasters, even with bread from the freezer with the "Defrost" button.

• Thanks 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

15 minutes ago, andiesenji said:

This one can reheat and you can watch it and it toasts much more rapidly than most modern toasters, even with bread from the freezer with the "Defrost" button.

Thanks, that's good to know.  I missed the reheat button.  And as for watching it...my problem with toast is what happens when I'm not watching 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, andiesenji said:

I'm pretty bored these days, but I don't know if I'm yet at the stage where watching my toast reheat is gonna be the highlight of my day!

• Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

8 hours ago, weinoo said:

This is a rather ridiculous statement.

You don't say why.  I think that a toaster works best when the heating elements are as close as practical to the surface of the bread.  That way it can toast the surface quickly without drying out the middle.  A toaster oven's elements are relatively far from the surface of the bread, requiring more time in a dry oven atmosphere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IndyRob said:

You don't say why.  I think that a toaster works best when the heating elements are as close as practical to the surface of the bread.  That way it can toast the surface quickly without drying out the middle.  A toaster oven's elements are relatively far from the surface of the bread, requiring more time in a dry oven atmosphere.

I come from another school altogether. The one thing I want least from a toaster is speed. If there's anything that annoys me it's a charred exterior and a damp interior. Avoid any product that claims to toast your bread quickly. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, weinoo said:

I'm pretty bored these days, but I don't know if I'm yet at the stage where watching my toast reheat is gonna be the highlight of my day!

It "reheats" in less than a minute if your toast is too pale or is cold.  

The "timer setting knob" set at 3 toasted fresh homemade bread in 1 minute 13 seconds.which is much faster than my Breville or the Magimix I got several years ago - a very expensive glass sided toaster..