• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amoretti Flavorings

EmmMax

I have found the "Artisan" natural line very good. I have tried the strawberry, raspberry (great for flavoring caramel), apricot, passion fruit, mango, pineapple (again, great for caramel since adding fresh pineapple, which takes more, makes the caramel too fluid). I recently got some green apple, and I have just smelled it so far and am not impressed, but I have found that apple is one of the most difficult flavors to emulate. I like that these flavorings are based on the real fruit (even though, of course, they do have other ingredients, such as various sugars). If you are not averse to using fruit "compounds," their strawberry and raspberry are very powerful; it doesn't take much to get a strong flavor.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

I have found the "Artisan" natural line very good. I have tried the strawberry, raspberry (great for flavoring caramel), apricot, passion fruit, mango, pineapple (again, great for caramel since adding fresh pineapple, which takes more, makes the caramel too fluid). I recently got some green apple, and I have just smelled it so far and am not impressed, but I have found that apple is one of the most difficult flavors to emulate. I like that these flavorings are based on the real fruit (even though, of course, they do have other ingredients, such as various sugars). If you are not averse to using fruit "compounds," their strawberry and raspberry are very powerful; it doesn't take much to get a strong flavor.

I was impressed by the sheer volume of product they had, but never saw many reviews. It sounds like it might be worth it. It's a shame shipping is such a beast. 

We use Amoretti compounds and extracts,  in our buttercream for things like cotton candy or coconut but mostly in  our cheesecake batters and they are terrific.  You can get smaller quantities (e.g. 4 oz) to try and I think they started selling through amazon for some of the more mainstream flavors.  Sign up for their mailing list because they offer promotions from time to time and usually have a huge sale around Thanksgiving.  Sometimes the promotions are free shipping but you  have to spend $300.

• Like 1