• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Happy Pi Day!!

Today is 3.14 so go grab a piece of pie!  

Pie is not a common menu item in MEX.  But there is a fine French patisserie on our street and we scored a few mini-quiches for lunch.  

• Like 3

Ah yes, we did celebrate with pecan pie for breakfast and pizza pie for lunch.  have not figured out dinner yet.  I think you could call empanadas mini pies and be correct.  Just another version of a hand pie....

Edited by IowaDee (log)

38 minutes ago, IowaDee said:

pizza pie for lunch

I'm glad that counts... that's what I had for lunch. Otherwise, Pi Day would have to be happy without my participation. I don't foresee me making or purchasing a pie tonight. :D

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I generally make a pi, sometimes, two, for Pi Day. But today, I was at a client site from 8 a.m. until 5:20, so no pi-baking for me. I do have an unbaked blackberry cobbler in the freezer I might bestir myself to go out and get and stick in the CSO...

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

gosh darn it.......

I want a piece of lemon meringue or Boston cream(OK, I know, I know.....it isn't really pie but I love it anyway).

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I'm on the road, and therefore settled for store-bought. At least it was locally made, with local apples. :)

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
4 minutes ago, Shelby said:

It's PI day!!!!  Does a galette count?

The representative from Michigan votes "Aye."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

3 hours ago, Shelby said:

It's PI day!!!!  Does a galette count?

According to my calculations, yes! My first exposure to Pi day was when visiting my daughter at college. The science department had tableellis set up selling slices to raise money for something. Very sweet.

• Like 3

I was going to make some pumpkin and gorgonzola tarts from a Diana Henry book but ended up going with this  Choy Sum and Feta Galette from Tenderheart

1E8A19B5-51EA-4E70-AE1E-6D609F8C8A08_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.c2a9696956ad2ed2b80bc8012660aba9.jpeg

Nice layers of flavor here with tumeric and black pepper in the pastry, green onion and garlic blended into the mascarpone layer, a big pile of Asian greens (I used tatsoi instead of choy sum), tangy feta and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.

• Like 5
  • Delicious 3

Just out of oven but can't cut until room temperature.  

Blueberry Sour Cream with a Pecan crumble topping. 

piday2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

7 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

According to my calculations, yes! My first exposure to Pi day was when visiting my daughter at college. The science department had tableellis set up selling slices to raise money for something. Very sweet.

When we lived in St. Pete area of FL, there was a small airport with the IATA call letters, PIE.  On Pi Day they gave out slices of pie.  

• Like 4