• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

LG "SnowWhite" Concept...

chromedome

...is the first "Keurig for [x]" concept I've seen that I thought was actually a pretty cool idea. Execution will be everything, of course, but still...

https://www.engadget.com/2019/03/12/lg-snowwhite-ice-cream-maker-keurig/?sr_source=Facebook

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I've two thoughts on this that conflict with each other. 

Live and let live, it is after all a world filled with opportunities. 

The other is we don't need freakin ice cream pods being made in single use plastic. 

Maybe the general population should attempt to learn how to make ice cream OR just buy it in the cardboard containers. 

33 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I wonder if it will use "real" ingredients.

I'd bet against that.

I have the same ambivalence about it that @EatingBen does...part of me says "wow, I'd invest in that!" and part of me rolls its eyes and mutters "here we go again..."

That being said, I think there's enough awareness now of the downside to Keurig's disposability that a new product would probably try to mitigate that criticism in advance. At my home we use refillable, reusable K-cups for those who want the convenience. My mom buys a brand that's in fully compostable pods, and lives in a province that actively composts food waste. 

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I think that the issue with this thing will be slowness and the amount of iced food product that is produced. 

There are no details given, but I could guess that It might work  nicely for one, maybe two people. But I would imagine that a family of 4 wouldn't get a usable amount of dessert.

• Like 1