• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

SLB

SLB

I second the window.  A big window nearby but not exactly in the kitchen is ok.  Probably better, because then the breeze from the window does not blow cold air over your stove-top situation, including the flames arising in a chimney effect off of your open burners . . . . 

My personal need, tho, is for the sink/stove/main-prep-counter/garbage can to be all in the same small radius.  By small radius, I mean like three steps. 

I once lived in an apartment where the prep counter was across an unnecessarily large room from the sink, which was itself located near the only plugs, and I was routinely homicidal. 

This was when I realized I prefer, strongly, small galley kitchens designed by people who actually cook.  

I think an actual bona fide pantry is dreamy, and I now think it's essential in my next home. 

But actually, as I write this, I realize that there is only one truth about me:   unless and until I go off-grid, I am never living again without a dishwasher.  I put off getting one because I am cheap.  And as turned out, I now feel that it has improved my life beyond my wildest dreams.  I still can't quite believe I have one and I get kookily-happy every time I turn it on.  

SLB

SLB

I second the window.  A big window nearby but not exactly in the kitchen is ok.  Probably better, because then the breeze from the window does not blow cold air over your stove-top situation, including the flames arising in a chimney effect off of your open burners . . . . 

My personal need, tho, is for the sink/stove/main-prep-counter/garbage can to be all in the same small radius.  By small radius, I mean like three steps. 

I once lived in an apartment where the prep counter was across an unnecessarily large room from the sink, which was itself located near the only plugs, and I was routinely homicidal. 

This was when I realized I prefer, strongly, small galley kitchens designed by people who actually cook.  

I think an actual bona fide pantry is dreamy, and I now think it's essential in my next home. 

But actually, as I write this, I realize that there is only one truth about me:   unless and until I go off-grid, I am never living again without a dishwasher.  I put off getting one because I am cheap.  And I feel that it has improved my life beyond my wildest dreams.  I still can't quite believe I have one and I get kookily-happy every time I turn it on.