• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hello

lVahl

Hi, 

I am married, have 3 kids, 12 yr old twin girls and 7 year old boy.  I love to cook, and have a 'million' gadgets in my kitchen!  The recipes I have are from family and some that I have tweaked from allrecipes.  I also cook like my grandmother, who never followed a recipe, she just "threw" things together.  Which sometimes frustrates my family because I never make the same recipe twice.  Recently I started making a cookbook of my favorite recipes to give my children when they graduate.  I have 800 recipes that I am trying to condense into one cookbook.  It's a good thing I have 5 years before my oldest graduate.  

• Like 2

That sounds like a great gift for the children! I have to ask what you do about writing down recipes when you tend not to do things the same way twice. When I make up something nice and my husband asks me whether I wrote down what I did, I (almost) always answer that I did ...but still, the next several iterations aren't quite the same! Are you better at reproducing results when you want to than I am?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Usually I can come close to the same taste.  When making the cookbook I printed off all the recipes and on each page I will write down how I make the recipe and what changes I have done to it so my children can recreate it later. 

• Like 1

That is a great idea, your kids will love having your recipes...especially when they strike out on their own and want a “taste of home”.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde