• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

jemartin

jemartin

I heard that you need quality iron or carbon steel woks and a very powerful gas burner for getting good wok hei and making the best tasting Chinese stir fry dishes like restaurants make.  I have a wok and a wok burner that I think work for this purpose, but would like to know what to do now.  The main problem I'm encountering is that nearly all cookbooks seem to be designed to teach people to cook on low-power standard home stoves rather than in the high heat setting with a more restaurant-like round-bottom wok on a powerful gas burner.

There's one particular recipe at Chinese restaurants I really like and want to learn to cook at home.  I think it's this:

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=7603564

Where should I go to learn to do this correctly? Is there a particular cookbook or education source that teaches you to cook restaurant-type Chinese food with these powerful gas burners in particular? I've been making similar things at home with beef & broccoli stir fray seasoning packets and with the wok, but notice if I use the suggested amount of water for the sauce it boils off in the wok very quickly, and leaves my broccoli relatively uncooked.  I think I need to learn how to cook stuff on the higher heat specifically to make it work out right.

My stir fries with the sauce packets taste pretty good if I add more water than the sauce packet suggests so it doesn't all boil away, but I don't think this is the right way to cook it to get wok hei, and probably aren't as good as my favored meal at the Chinese restaurant I like.  What to do?

jemartin

jemartin

I heard that you need quality iron or carbon steel woks and a very powerful gas burner for getting good wok hei and making the best tasting Chinese stir fry dishes like restaurants make.  I have a wok and a wok burner that I think work for this purpose, but would like to know what to do now.  The main problem I'm encountering is that nearly all cookbooks seem to be designed to teach people to cook on low-power standard home stoves rather than in the high heat setting with a more restaurant-like round-bottom wok on a powerful gas burner.

There's one particular recipe at Chinese restaurants I really like and want to learn to cook at home.  I think it's this:

Where should I go to learn to do this correctly? Is there a particular cookbook or education source that teaches you to cook Chinese food with these powerful gas burners in particular? I've been making similar things at home with beef & broccoli stir fray seasoning packets and with the wok, but notice if I use the suggested amount of water for the sauce it boils off in the wok very quickly, and leaves my broccoli relatively uncooked.  I think I need to learn how to cook stuff on the higher heat specifically to make it work out right.

My stir fries with the sauce packets taste pretty good if I add more water than the sauce packet suggests so it doesn't all boil away, but I don't think this is the right way to cook it to get wok hei, and probably aren't as good as my favored meal at the Chinese restaurant I like.  What to do?

jemartin

jemartin

Where should I go to learn to do this correctly? Is there a particular cookbook or education source that teaches you to cook Chinese food with these powerful gas burners in particular? I've been making similar things at home with beef & broccoli stir fray seasoning packets and with the wok, but notice if I use the suggested amount of water for the sauce it boils off in the wok very quickly, and leaves my broccoli relatively uncooked.  I think I need to learn how to cook stuff on the higher heat specifically to make it work out right.

jemartin

jemartin

I heard that you need quality iron or carbon steel woks and a very powerful gas burner for getting good wok hei and making the best tasting Chinese stir fry dishes like restaurants make.  I have a wok and a wok burner that I think work for this purpose, but would like to know what to do now.  The problem I'm encountering is that nearly all cookbooks seem to be designed to teach people to cook on low-power standard home stoves rather than in the high heat setting with a more restaurant-like round-bottom wok on a powerful gas burner.

Where should I go to learn to do this correctly? Is there a particular cookbook or education source that teaches you to cook with these powerful gas burners in particular? I've been making similar things at home with beef & broccoli stir fray seasoning packets and with the wok, but notice if I use the suggested amount of water for the sauce it boils off in the wok very quickly, and leaves my broccoli relatively uncooked.  I think I need to learn how to cook stuff on the higher heat specifically to make it work out right.

jemartin

jemartin

I heard that you need quality iron or carbon steel woks and a very powerful gas burner for getting good wok hei and making the best tasting Chinese stir fry dishes like restaurants make.  I have a wok and a wok burner that I think work for this purpose, but would like to know what to do now.  The problem I'm encountering is that nearly all cookbooks seem to be designed to teach people to cook on low-power standard home stoves rather than in the high heat setting with a more restaurant-like round-bottom wok on a powerful gas burner.

Where should I go to learn to do this correctly? I've been making similar things at home with beef & broccoli stir fray seasoning packets and with the wok, but notice if I use the suggested amount of water for the sauce it boils off in the wok very quickly, and leaves my broccoli relatively uncooked.  I think I need to learn how to cook stuff on the higher heat specifically to make it work out right.