• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
Pan

Larb Ubol closed

Posted (edited)

Larb Ubol was my favorite Thai restaurant in Manhattan.  The friendly chef/owner had previously been at Zabb Elee in the East Village. My girlfriend and I went there to go to dinner tonight, only to find it closed. I did a search and found this article in Grub Street from Nov. 2, 2018:

Restaurateur Ratchanee Sumpatboon closed her Larb Ubol this week, after five years in Hell’s Kitchen. The chef and owner was, a source tells Eater, unable to renew her lease. She does reportedly plan to reopen the restaurant in a new location.

Do any of you have any more current information on whether or where she might reopen?

Also, when I did a web search under Ratchanee's name, I found information about a class action suit by former employees who basically accuse her of making them work overtime and stiffing them. The latest information I could find was from September 6, 2018, when the case was apparently referred for arbitration. Does anyone have more up-to-date info on that? I recognize that restaurants' profit margins are very narrow, but it's not OK to abuse workers.

Edited by Pan (log)

Oh no! I had been meaning to go for a while. I love her other restaurant Lan Larb Soho. 

A bit disturbing to hear this info about mistreating workers..

I didn't find Lan Larb as dependable in a couple of visits, I think because I didn't see her there, and the waiters I had didn't really take me seriously enough when I said I wanted the food spicy. When it isn't spicy enough, it becomes unbalanced - too salty and/or sweet.

Is that the same as the Lan Larb on 2nd Ave and 34th st? I was there a few times but was never impressed by it...

Sign in to follow this