Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

EmmMax

Beginner Chocolatier Investment

Recommended Posts

@tri2cook

Quote

If you're getting sticker shock from the Callebaut, you probably don't even want to look at the prices of the stuff most of the others here prefer to work with.

Out of curiosity, what is "this other stuff" that others prefer to work with?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, wannabechocolatier said:

@tri2cook

Out of curiosity, what is "this other stuff" that others prefer to work with?

 

If I think of sticker shock, I think Valrhona.

 

In Australia, anyway.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Or Felchlin

 

Definitely some of their products are crazy, but I use their blended stuff, it's cheaper than callebaut and it tastes better imho

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, keychris said:

 

Definitely some of their products are crazy, but I use their blended stuff, it's cheaper than callebaut and it tastes better imho


Agreed, Felchlin grand crus are steep but their ‘regular’ couvertures are more reasonable, about $15/kg from AUI. I use lots of the sao Palme 60%, a great goes-with-everything semisweet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, pastrygirl said:


Agreed, Felchlin grand crus are steep but their ‘regular’ couvertures are more reasonable, about $15/kg from AUI. I use lots of the sao Palme 60%, a great goes-with-everything semisweet. 

Hard to get in Canada.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Hard to get in Canada.

I think Felchlin made a mistake deciding to make AUI its (almost) exclusive source in the U.S. (I say "almost" because it can still be purchased in a very limited selection at Chocosphere). Because AUI sells only by the box (6 kilos), small producers or hobbyists would be discouraged from trying what I think are excellent couvertures. That being said, AUI offers free shipping if you buy at least $195 of products--and it doesn't take long to get to $195.  Felchlin does list two distributors in Canada: HUH Imports in Newmarket and Prime Chocolate in Montreal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

I think Felchlin made a mistake deciding to make AUI its (almost) exclusive source in the U.S. (I say "almost" because it can still be purchased in a very limited selection at Chocosphere). Because AUI sells only by the box (6 kilos), small producers or hobbyists would be discouraged from trying what I think are excellent couvertures. That being said, AUI offers free shipping if you buy at least $195 of products--and it doesn't take long to get to $195.  Felchlin does list two distributors in Canada: HUH Imports in Newmarket and Prime Chocolate in Montreal.

I got Felchlin molds though Prime Chocolate - cost me a pretty penny I must say. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

I got Felchlin molds though Prime Chocolate - cost me a pretty penny I must say. 

Yes, I paid a fortune for some Felchlin molds. Not to assign blame, but they were those pyramid ones you were using for dendrites, and they caught my eye (not to mention my money).

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

Yes, I paid a fortune for some Felchlin molds. Not to assign blame, but they were those pyramid ones you were using for dendrites, and they caught my eye (not to mention my money).

Yup - resistance is futile!

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I got Felchlin molds though Prime Chocolate - cost me a pretty penny I must say. 

 

Just took a look -- these molds are beautiful, but what makes them so expensive? They're just normal polycarbonate molds, correct? Are the irregular shapes difficult to form from a production standpoint?

 

That said, definitely going to be picking some up in the future 😜

 

Also, this 1-post-a-day-for-10-days rule is killin me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, wannabechocolatier said:

 

Just took a look -- these molds are beautiful, but what makes them so expensive? They're just normal polycarbonate molds, correct? Are the irregular shapes difficult to form from a production standpoint?

 

That said, definitely going to be picking some up in the future 😜

 

There is very little different about the Felchlin molds (they are polycarbonate just like the ones that are probably the most used, those from Chocolate World). They do have one drawback from my point of view: Unlike the CW molds, which have supporting bars running crosswise beneath the cavities where you can rest your fingers to hold the mold without touching the cavities, the Felchlin molds have bars running lengthwise, which means they require considerable adjusting to accomplish the same goal--that is, of keeping hot fingers away from tempered chocolate.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, wannabechocolatier said:

 

Just took a look -- these molds are beautiful, but what makes them so expensive? They're just normal polycarbonate molds, correct? Are the irregular shapes difficult to form from a production standpoint?

 

That said, definitely going to be picking some up in the future 😜

 

Also, this 1-post-a-day-for-10-days rule is killin me.

Patience grasshopper! 10 days will pass quickly. 

 

I think the expense is that they just aren't sold by our regular mold distributors like Chocolat-Chocolat. But I think Chocolate World is now making a mold similar to the one that Jim is talking about so Chocolat-chocolat will have that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Hard to get in Canada.

 

If you want to smuggle some back home from Seattle (assuming you're coming next month) let me know, I'll order from AUI again before NW Choc Fest.  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

 

If you want to smuggle some back home from Seattle (assuming you're coming next month) let me know, I'll order from AUI again before NW Choc Fest.  ;)

Thanks for that - but believe me I have plenty. Ordered a bunch when the shipping cost so much. Had I known that Albert Uster handled them I would have gotten them from there and just brought them across the border from Buffalo.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Similar Content

    • By pastrygirl
      Anyone have a favorite recipe for chocolate cake using semisweet chocolate?  My usual chocolate cake recipe uses cocoa, but I have some samples of chocolate I want to use up for a workplace party.  Yes, I could make brownies or ganache frosting, or chocolate mousse or chocolate chunk cookies, just feeling like cake this weekend ...
    • By Beckykp27
      I'm trying to make bonbons with milk shells for the first time and I'm struggling. When I melt my milk chocolate it is really thick. Is this normal? I'm pretty sure humidity is not an issue. I'm concerned that my shells wont empty out well and I'll be left with no room for ganache. I tried adding some cocoa butter last time but it affected the flavor. 
       
      Disclaimer: I'm using pretty cheap milk chocolate (Ghirardelli) cuz I'm still learning. If you think this is the only issue please let me know.
    • By Ciordia9
      We work with transfer sheets regularly but most of them are not double backed. By that I mean most of them are one layer, not backed with a white layer. I'm having a real problem with consistency in the thicker sheets as seen attached. We attach these individually as they come out of the enrober but it doesn't feel like we're getting enough heat penetration to do a full transfer.
       
      Anyone share some tips on thicker applications like these? Our short run came out fine but as soon as we went into production of course the first batch ends up being shot.

    • By cslas
      So a question about guitar cutters. I can see why they're a superior method for cutting ganache in terms of uniformity and efficiency, but I was wondering if there's something about cutting with a metal string that's superior to cutting with a knife? Perhaps a ganache would stick to the string less than the knife? Where I'm headed with this is, as someone who's just starting out and not ready to invest in a guitar cutter, I'm wondering if using a cheese lyre to cut ganache might be better than using a knife?
    • By BVWells
      Afternoon everyone. I know that some of you have taken classes with Melissa Coppel and I am finally going to bite the bullet and take one of her classes, but I don't know whether I should take her "Intensive Chocolate Workshop" class or her "Running a Chocolate Production" class. I hear all of her classes are great, but I'm just wondering which one would be better for an amateur home chocolate maker who is pretty confident in his tempering and ganache skills, but is looking to take that next step. Thanks in advance!!
       
      Branden
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...