• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beginner Chocolatier Investment

EmmMax

55 minutes ago, wannabechocolatier said:

@tri2cook

Out of curiosity, what is "this other stuff" that others prefer to work with?

If I think of sticker shock, I think Valrhona.

In Australia, anyway.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, keychris said:

Definitely some of their products are crazy, but I use their blended stuff, it's cheaper than callebaut and it tastes better imho

Agreed, Felchlin grand crus are steep but their ‘regular’ couvertures are more reasonable, about $15/kg from AUI. I use lots of the sao Palme 60%, a great goes-with-everything semisweet. 

6 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Agreed, Felchlin grand crus are steep but their ‘regular’ couvertures are more reasonable, about $15/kg from AUI. I use lots of the sao Palme 60%, a great goes-with-everything semisweet. 

Hard to get in Canada.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Hard to get in Canada.

I think Felchlin made a mistake deciding to make AUI its (almost) exclusive source in the U.S. (I say "almost" because it can still be purchased in a very limited selection at Chocosphere). Because AUI sells only by the box (6 kilos), small producers or hobbyists would be discouraged from trying what I think are excellent couvertures. That being said, AUI offers free shipping if you buy at least $195 of products--and it doesn't take long to get to $195.  Felchlin does list two distributors in Canada: HUH Imports in Newmarket and Prime Chocolate in Montreal.

44 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

I think Felchlin made a mistake deciding to make AUI its (almost) exclusive source in the U.S. (I say "almost" because it can still be purchased in a very limited selection at Chocosphere). Because AUI sells only by the box (6 kilos), small producers or hobbyists would be discouraged from trying what I think are excellent couvertures. That being said, AUI offers free shipping if you buy at least $195 of products--and it doesn't take long to get to $195.  Felchlin does list two distributors in Canada: HUH Imports in Newmarket and Prime Chocolate in Montreal.

I got Felchlin molds though Prime Chocolate - cost me a pretty penny I must say. 

21 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

Yes, I paid a fortune for some Felchlin molds. Not to assign blame, but they were those pyramid ones you were using for dendrites, and they caught my eye (not to mention my money).

Yup - resistance is futile!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I got Felchlin molds though Prime Chocolate - cost me a pretty penny I must say. 

Just took a look -- these molds are beautiful, but what makes them so expensive? They're just normal polycarbonate molds, correct? Are the irregular shapes difficult to form from a production standpoint?

That said, definitely going to be picking some up in the future 😜

Also, this 1-post-a-day-for-10-days rule is killin me.

10 hours ago, wannabechocolatier said:

Just took a look -- these molds are beautiful, but what makes them so expensive? They're just normal polycarbonate molds, correct? Are the irregular shapes difficult to form from a production standpoint?

There is very little different about the Felchlin molds (they are polycarbonate just like the ones that are probably the most used, those from Chocolate World). They do have one drawback from my point of view: Unlike the CW molds, which have supporting bars running crosswise beneath the cavities where you can rest your fingers to hold the mold without touching the cavities, the Felchlin molds have bars running lengthwise, which means they require considerable adjusting to accomplish the same goal--that is, of keeping hot fingers away from tempered chocolate.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wannabechocolatier said:

Also, this 1-post-a-day-for-10-days rule is killin me.

Patience grasshopper! 10 days will pass quickly. 

I think the expense is that they just aren't sold by our regular mold distributors like Chocolat-Chocolat. But I think Chocolate World is now making a mold similar to the one that Jim is talking about so Chocolat-chocolat will have that. 

31 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

If you want to smuggle some back home from Seattle (assuming you're coming next month) let me know, I'll order from AUI again before NW Choc Fest.  ;)

Thanks for that - but believe me I have plenty. Ordered a bunch when the shipping cost so much. Had I known that Albert Uster handled them I would have gotten them from there and just brought them across the border from Buffalo.

• Like 1