• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kansas City BBQ

gfron1

I think this is a pretty exhaustive list of obvious and off-radar. The first few are sort of in order of greatness.

Q39

LC's

Bryants

Gates

Joe's BBQ (20 mi west of KC) gas stationSlaps

Char Bar

Slaps

Jazzy B's (Lees Summit)

Hawg Jaw

Rosedale

BB'a Lawnside

Danny Edwards

Fergolicious

Chops

Plowboys

Jack Stacks

Wabash

Woodyard

EJ's Urban Eatery

Local Pig (steak sandwich)

Brewery Imperial

Hayward

Here's an app to help find the most current HERE

Having lived for 50 years in KC, competed in KCBS competitions, and become a KCBS judge, I love this thread.

I've eaten at many of these, some are new to me.

LC's burnt ends are the best food on the planet. 

Q39 is very, very good. It's a nice, sit down restaurant with excellent barbecue. Not really a barbecue joint in the classic sense.

SLAPs (Squeal Like A Pig) is a classic barbecue joint. Very divey. Really good brisket.

Gates, double yuck. I swore them off years ago when my burnt end sandwich was scrapins from the smoker floor.

Bryant's, when they're on the their game, really good stuff.

BB's Lawnside is cool. Not the best barbecue in KC but certainly very good. Cool blues bar.

Woodyard has a lot of outdoor seating and very good ribs.

Hayward's was truly awful, but they sold their building to Q30 South and moved. My brother reports that new location is very good.

Rosedale, meh.

Joe's Kansas City, consistently excellent barbecue. There's a reason for the long lines.

Not mentioned is Brobeck's. In my opinion, the best ribs in KC and often one of my first stops when I'm back there. 

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.